Sponsored by:

Screwed out of '01 C4 by Morrie's Mazda

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 11:46 AM
path
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screwed out of '01 C4 by Morrie's Mazda

I placed a deposit on '01 C4 last Tuesday with a dealer in Minnesota, Morrie's Mazda. Called on Thursday to schedule arrival and delivery. Booked plan ticket and started the paperwork with my bank. Dealership called yesterday(Saturday) to tell me there was some confusion and the car had been sold to someone else. In fact it was no longer on the lot. I personally think they sold it from underneath me for more money. I talked to the GM but he's not going to get the car back. He's offered to find me another with no profit, and even deliver, BS!! I plan on calling Mazda USA, the BBB and the MN Auto dealers assn. Obviously, I'm considering legal recourse. It's not about the car as much as it is the principle. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:05 PM
BRUCE
Instructor

Think about what you'd do if YOU changed your mind and decided you didn't want the car. What if the dealer said you had to take it because you said you were going to. Yes, you've been inconvenienced and are disappointed, but really, what's the big deal. Move on and find a different one.
On the legal side, do you have a purchase agreement signed by a manager? If not, you got nothing. If you do, read the fine print. In most states the dealer and the buyer have the right to cancel with various stipulations.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:38 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Get over it - look for a better one

The market is awash with used Porsche's - it's a buyer's market. You can easily check with Porsche dealer websites to see what they have. Ask people here if they know of a dealer with a car to your spec and price range. You might also look on "Oh Boy" and see what's available there to bid on.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:44 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Default Check here

http://porsche-exchange.porschedeale...ory/search.php

http://www.porsche-classified.com/cg...ID%253DPorsche
Old 08-17-2003, 01:19 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Did you send them a deposit? If not there's nothing you can do.

Don't forget https://rennlist.com/ads/
"Search Dealer Inventory"
Old 08-17-2003, 01:28 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Re: Screwed out of '01 C4 by Morrie's Mazda

Originally posted by path
It's not about the car as much as it is the principle. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.
The most expensive legal action is one that finds its purpose in only "the principle".

Move On... save the money you were going to sue this guy with for a better or much nicer Porsche.

Trust me, this is really good advice.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:09 AM
musicmovesme
Advanced

part of the problem with doing out of state car deals is that you have to talk to the seller 3 or 4 times a day and get out there or have it shipped asap. did you send a deposit or credit card? If so they should refund and do everything possible to get you a new vehicle. I do agree with you because the dealer probably went with the bird in a hand theory. someone walked onto the lot and offered more than you did and they sold it. In these times everyone is trying to get as many sales closed as possible.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:15 AM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

He said he placed a deposit on Tuesday and the dealer changed their mind on Thursday. If they cashed the deposit, you may have recourse. What recourse, I do not know. However, as stated, it is probably in your best interest to move on and look for another. I'd go private party if possible.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:40 AM
ebaker
Pro

Contact Mazda USA, the BBB and the MN Auto dealers assn., then move on and forget it. You will probably find a better deal anyway.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:56 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

I don't know why some of you guys (in the U.S.) wouldn't consider coming to Canada to buy a used Porsche. Your money goes a long way here and when you convert your money, the car will be less expensive (even with any duties, taxes, etc. associated with importing the car to the U.S.). I used to have a 1996 Audi S6 that I sold to a California customer sight unseen. It ended up being a bargain for him and a great selling price for me. Let me know if you want me to put you in touch with someone at Pfaff Porsche, the larger local dealer in Toronto (3 hours drive east of Detroit).
Old 08-18-2003, 11:14 AM
RWO
Burning Brakes

Sh.. happens. I'd take him up on his offer to find you one, sell it to you at no profit, and deliver it to you...

Roy
Old 08-18-2003, 09:30 PM
path
Instructor

Yes, I did put down a deposit. They told me the car was gone FOUR days after I made my deposit. I agree with you guys, life's too short. But, I really wanted that one, it had every option I wanted. Thanks for the feed back.

In response to Alon in Canada, yeah the prices are good but the regulatory hassles and well as resale just aren't worth it in my opinion.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:16 AM
fanC4
Intermediate

These kind of dealer behavior happens all the time. Not worth your effort and time. It happened to my friend and heard it many times on different forums.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:22 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

I'm not a car dealer. I just thought that I would try to help him find a nice car here. Forget the whole thing and move on while there's still summer to enjoy.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:01 PM
path
Instructor

Thanks guys!! I appreciate the feedback.

Quick Reply: Screwed out of '01 C4 by Morrie's Mazda