996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

tiptronic problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014 | 10:50 PM
rrgearsurplus
AutoX

Default tiptronic problems!!

Hello guys out there I need help on a tiptronic problem on a 2000 Carrera 3.4..I switch out trannis last week because factory one had 100,000 and went in to limb mode and slipped bad..The junk yard unit I put in was claimed to be low miles from respectable company online..Now the used tranny is installed and im getting all kinds of codes and it is still in "dtiving reduced mode"aka limp mode..I hooked up my durametrics up and got for regulator codes and a speed senor code..Do you think its the tcm or the vb?Can I take the vb out of the old tranny and clean and disassemble and rebuild?Im at a lost here..I know if I go to the local Porsche shop they will probably want to put another complete unit in the car..Our shop cant afford that..Any help will be greatly needed....Thanks in advance..RR Gear
Old 09-25-2014 | 12:46 PM
rrgearsurplus
AutoX

Can anyone help? does the computer need to be reflashed because of the new tranny numbers not matching?Does that have be done at dealership only?
Old 09-25-2014 | 01:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

All I can advise is to double check the installation to ensure all electrical connections are ok.

If there is more than one speed sensor can you swap these to see if the error code follows the sensor?

Or if it is not too much money just replace the sensor?

For the question about a flash to accommodate the possibly different Tip that is a question for a very knowledgeable indy Porsche shop or the dealer service department.

For "tcm" that is transmission control module I guess. I would assume that this is ok. From what you wrote it doesn't read like the tcm was at the root of the original Tip's bad behavior. Well, switching to limp mode and slipping I guess could be due to malfunctioning tcm. But I would think there would be error codes galore pointing to the tcm (or the "vb" if this was bad).

As for the "vb" (valve body) of the "new" Tip...

If you think the valve body is dirty enough to warrant cleaning that is based on my limited knowledge and experience with automatics probably a sign the "new" (or replacement) Tip -- if the valve body is actually dirty -- no good. You won't know the valve body is dirty until you take it apart, though.

Did you check the fluid level and condition in the "new" Tip? Did you check the condition of the filter? If you can do this you might want to to eliminate the unit due to its suspected poor condition.

More on dirty valve bodies: I watched an auto mechanic disassemble an automatic to install a high performance valve kit and the valve body was clean, and the valve bores and such were in very good shape, or he would have not used the valve body. This guy carefully removed the valve hardware and placed them in the folds of a washboard to keep the valve hardware from banging against any other valve body hardware end to keep them in order so he knew which set of valves went back into which valve body bore.
Old 09-28-2014 | 07:03 PM
rrgearsurplus
AutoX

Thanks for getting back to me..

We are bringing the car into the bay tomorrow to put it up on the lift and ck wiring plugs and run numbers to see if all numbers are interchangeable for that year..The donor tranny was reported to be a good shifter out of a side impact 996 convertible..We did replace the fuild and filter during install..didn't flush or anything..Im torn between just getting another unit out of another donor car but you can find them all over ebay for 1000 to 1500 shipped..If we replaced the vb and did another fuild and flush we would have almost 1200 in parts and supplies..ughh...We don't know what to do...We thought the computer would automaticly relearn the new tip but apparenltly not..lol..Changing the speed sensor from the old to the new sounds like a good idea..Then we could actually see if the ecm is noticing changes in the system..we will also do that during the vb inspection..I need to call this indy Porsche everyone talks about..I'll be there next month for a show..maybe the will donate some answer for free..most dealership's lips are sealed..lol..I do thank you again on responding..I hope some more guys out there can donate some info..I don't know if I can post pics..but I would have no problems taking pics of the process and posting them..If we tear out this unit and replace it with another tip, we can do some pics and steps on that also..Thanks Rennlist!!
Old 09-28-2014 | 07:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

Are you sure the ATF change was done correctly? IIRC this requires a diagnostics computer and the engine must be started and run until warm (the engine temperature must not be above 40C at the start of this process) and the ATF topped up until fluid runs out of the ATF control screw hole.
Old 09-28-2014 | 11:00 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rrgearsurplus
Hello guys out there I need help on a tiptronic problem on a 2000 Carrera 3.4..I switch out trannis last week because factory one had 100,000 and went in to limb mode and slipped bad..The junk yard unit I put in was claimed to be low miles from respectable company online..Now the used tranny is installed and im getting all kinds of codes and it is still in "dtiving reduced mode"aka limp mode..I hooked up my durametrics up and got for regulator codes and a speed senor code..Do you think its the tcm or the vb?Can I take the vb out of the old tranny and clean and disassemble and rebuild?Im at a lost here..I know if I go to the local Porsche shop they will probably want to put another complete unit in the car..Our shop cant afford that..Any help will be greatly needed....Thanks in advance..RR Gear
What year car was your donor transmission from. If it was from a 2002 or later car it is not compatible as your car is a mk1 car
Old 09-29-2014 | 01:46 PM
rrgearsurplus
AutoX

The donor car was a 2000 same year..the tranny number came up on the durametrics scan as a a50-9600 tranny or aka g50..so that should be fine..It is not a mk tranny..

As far as the atf change..we did it by the book.got it warm and used a temp gauge on the fuild..seemed all good but we are about to do another change and ck the vb for debris or something stuck in the regulator..
The codes coming up on the computer are as follows
82 p1823 pressure regulator3
81 p1818 pressure regulator2
36 p0722 speed signal
83 p1828 pressure regulator4
80 p1813 pressure regulator1
Wont clear for some reason when we try to reset via durametrics..
Old 10-04-2014 | 09:49 PM
rrgearsurplus
AutoX

Has anyone had these codes before? It seams strange that all reg codes popped up..
Old 10-07-2014 | 11:09 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Those are fault codes for an internal issue (or wiring of) and the pressure regulator issue is a big deal (requires a RR) as the labor hours to fix one issue is just about the same to do a rebuild, (while your in there mode). I'm hoping it is only a connection/wiring issue for you. I found a test diagram for the valve issue to test connectivity issues as well as the speed sensor issue. Is there a refund on this transmission - as you may have a bad one with stuck valves, (a known issue)? I also found reference to version coding for the TCU that has to match the ECU and a Porsche Systems Tester 2 has to be used to do the recoding.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Torontoworker; 04-10-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-08-2014 | 11:02 AM
rrgearsurplus
AutoX

Wow..Thank you very much..My friend and I are diving into this on Monday. We called the company and talked to there customer service for a little while..Pleated our case and they said they would send us a replacement tranny with average miles for a 1000.00 free shipping..They do not want the unit back that we got from them.So basically we are at a decision area..For the price of a valve body rr we can get another tip unit with a 30 day warrenty. The unit we have in the car that is throwing these codes seems good and something tells me its a wiring problem..so we want to try every possibility before removing it because it would just become another core sitting around the shop..I will defintly check the ohms on all regulators..I guess you don't have to remove valve body to ck the regulators because they are right there when pan is removed..speed senor location is a mystery but thanks sites like this one we will find it.
Old 10-08-2014 | 11:11 AM
rrgearsurplus
AutoX

So my question is: Has anyone just put a new tip unit in their 996 and started the car up with no limp mode? We cant find info on this..Does the tcu need to be reflashed at dealership?Or does the system reset itself? If we do go the route of another used unit with correct serial numbers,will the computer just go back into limp mode and still need to go to the dealer?.We are taking pics now and will update this thread we great pictures of a step by step removal of engine/tranny combo..Its really quit easy and fun..One of the best sports cars to work on..I hope to return this beauty back to the streets soon..
Old 10-08-2014 | 11:58 AM
alpine003
Banned

Where you located? Try calling around and seeing which Indy's can make a quick house call with their PST2 or PIWIS. If you already had the codes in the TCU, I believe you have to get these manually reset.
Old 10-13-2014 | 12:41 PM
rrgearsurplus
AutoX

Our shop is located in Dayton,Ohio..That would be great..Our local Porsche shop is in Cinn,oh..So around here no one will come out..They want us to drive it in limp mode or trailer it..They charge 160.00 for the use of there machine..After that 120.00 a hour for labor..Can get pretty expensive fast doing that way..If the codes just need to be reset, that should only take a hour..But who knows..
Old 10-13-2014 | 12:42 PM
rrgearsurplus
AutoX

I called 4 or 5 shops in our location to see if they had a pst2 or piwis...Nobody..
Old 10-13-2014 | 03:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by rrgearsurplus
Our shop is located in Dayton,Ohio..That would be great..Our local Porsche shop is in Cinn,oh..So around here no one will come out..They want us to drive it in limp mode or trailer it..They charge 160.00 for the use of there machine..After that 120.00 a hour for labor..Can get pretty expensive fast doing that way..If the codes just need to be reset, that should only take a hour..But who knows..
Well, you won't like this but my recommendation is to trailer the car to the dealer and get what you need done done and pay up.

The current Porsche diagnostics computer is an expensive piece of kit. Not only to buy but there is a monthly fee/subscription charge. IIRC $600/month.

The computer is needed for a lot of things. For warranty service/work I believe the thing is used to perform a full scan of the car's electronic controllers looking for error codes, or telemetry that might provide an early warning of a problem. Also, I'm sure Porsche collects a lot of saved telemetry from the car's controllers.

This scan takes time. So there is an upper to limit to the number of cars that can be serviced per day.

The dealer is going to want to charge for any time this computer system is used.

And of course any time a tech is required to be at the computer system. For the scan he can hook up the computer and get the scan going and walk away. But for what I think you need done he's going to have been at the computer system interacting with it.

Quick Reply: tiptronic problems!!