Lidatek and Valentine 1 Mirrors for the 996

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 04:04 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
Question Lidatek and Valentine 1 Mirrors for the 996

Sorry if this topic has been discussed here before but has any one ever installed one of these?

http://www.beastpower.com/beast/id43.html

A. Does Lidatek really work for Jamming Laser or is this junk?

B. How well does the Valentine One rear view mirror actually work, or does it affect the V1's operation, reliability, warrenty?
Old 08-14-2003, 04:43 PM
sennasixty8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'd like to know too..

These guys are in the area, and I've never heard any feedback! I wonder if any other BAYAREA rennlisters have this installed, and how do they like the mirror display!?!?!
Old 08-14-2003, 06:09 PM
TerryC4S
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't see how it could affect performance of the V1 or the Lidatek as they are not included with the mirror. The mirror appears to be only a display for those systems mounted where the user chooses.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:08 PM
tme
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

The mirror display is only the remote display installed in the mirror. You still need to put the receive somewhere, I had it put in the headliner and the switches in the dash.. here is a link to some pics
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i...e21b32aa5c3a449
Old 08-14-2003, 10:29 PM
speedyB
Intermediate

Originally posted by tme
The mirror display is only the remote display installed in the mirror. You still need to put the receive somewhere, I had it put in the headliner and the switches in the dash.. here is a link to some pics
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i...e21b32aa5c3a449
Looks like the URL may be "incomplete" -- when I followed the link, it redirected to an error page. Any chance you could double-check that address?

tia,

Bill
Old 08-15-2003, 11:45 AM
tme
Advanced

Try this....
http://dell.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i...21b32aa5c3a449

Pics of the V1 install
Old 08-15-2003, 12:09 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally posted by tme
Try this....
http://dell.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i...21b32aa5c3a449

Pics of the V1 install

Thanks, Does the Lidatek actually work for jamming LIDAR?

Do you find that looking over to the mirror when you get a warning verses the head on over the console takes seconds of time that are critical when you get the warning from V-1? The reson I ask is beciase many have told me that many have told me that V-1 it is not convienient to have the V-1 display anyplace else besides inside the instrument pod because anyplace else robs you needed critical seconds to look over at it. What is you feeling about that observation?

TIA
Old 08-15-2003, 12:39 PM
tme
Advanced

Thumbs up

My other car is a BMW 745 with i-drive so I am used to looking to the right for information. I think it is just a matter of adjustment. You could have the remote display configured so it can be hidden anywhere. I really like it in the mirror because you don't have to look down. I find it much easier to look to the right instead of looking down because you are still looking at the road (eyes are looking up) instead of looking down at the instrument pod. I've had a K-40 with the front and rear lights in the instrument pod and having the display in the mirror is much much better.
Old 08-15-2003, 01:09 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think that the V1 mirror display is indeed slick, but part of the reasoning behind a concealed install of the V1 is to hide the display from other vehicles around you. the mirror doesn't accomplish this.

nifty little piece of engineering, but since (in most cases) the main 'box' unit of the V1 is right NEXT to the mirror, what really has been accomplished here?

i know that some people using the mirror option have had the guts of the V1 box removed and placed elsewhere, but this is the exception and not the rule. i believe that this gutting of the V1 also disables its ability to detect laser, so again - whats the benefit besides a bigger hole in your wallet?!

i'd vote that the all-around best way to go is mounting the V1 'box' to the right of the OEM mirror (up high is supposed to give the best radar reception, although maybe not the best lazer reception due to small scatter of the laser signal) and installing the remote video display somewhere near/in the gauges with the remote audio module installed somewhere that falls easily to hand. But its all about what works for you.

oh - and a lidatek - my next install.....

Quick Reply: Lidatek and Valentine 1 Mirrors for the 996