Sponsored by:

Seats, harness bar, 6-point harness installation results

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 12:36 PM
JakeMate
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seats, harness bar, 6-point harness installation results

Just finished installing two Corbeau A4 seats, a BK Harness Bar, and a Schroth 6-point harness. I ordered everything from John at Northstar Motorsports per your recommendations.

I ordered a regular A4 for myself and a 2" wider version for the passenger side. Beware, the standard A4 is much narrower than other manufacturer's seats. I have a 31" waist and weigh 145 pounds and I just fit into it. If you're any bigger, get the wide version. A few notes on the seats. The slider bracket makes it pretty difficult to access the rear mounting fasteners. Be prepared to swear a little bit. Also, the fore and aft adjustment is barely enough for me. I'd like to slide it another 1/4" forward to be fully comfortable (I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam). Supposedly, Corbeau has another bracket that gives an additional 4" of adjustment. I'd also like to be a little bit higher. I ordered the seats with a special hole for the anti-sub belt and it works pretty well.

The harness bar from Brey-Krause has the worst instructions that I've ever seen. When you read them on their website, they don't look too bad, but when you look at all the fasteners in the bag, the instructions are not descriptive enough. It looks like a high school kid made these. Embarrassing. Overall, it went in OK and when its all done and in, you'll probably say to yourself, "That wasn't so bad." Trying to figure out the instructions takes longer than the installation.

I opted for the six point harness because of the aftermarket seats and we figured it would be easier to attach the two anti-sub belts to the front seat mounting points. This puts a weird angle on things and does not look to be as secure as a five point would be because the two belts have to make a jog through the opening in the seat. I would rather have a 5-point with a bar going across the front of the seat if I did it again. The Schroth harness looks very nice. The only weird thing is that the brackets for the two anti-sub belts that I had to use have an opening that looks like its for a narrower belt than it needs. The belts fit through but it doesn't look exactly right.

What a difference when driving with these seats. You really notice how much they hug you on the outside of your middle-lower back and your shoulders. Makes spirited driving much more fun....it's all car. I haven't had a chance to drive it with the harness yet because I did the seats the day before, but I've driven with a 4-point in my Miata and it made a huge difference at the track.

I'll try to post some pictures soon.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:06 PM
Kerry
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jake,
Thanks for the well written description. I also purchased from John at Northstar and really appreciated his advice. I kept my stock power seats and installed the BK harness bar and Schroth 6pt belts and will certainly agree about the BK instructions. Since I still have the stock seats I sit on my sub belts and they attach to the BK lap belt mounting spots. Did John have any reservations about mounting your sub belts forward of the sub belt seat hole?
Old 08-14-2003, 05:15 PM
JakeMate
Racer

Originally posted by Kerry
Jake,
Did John have any reservations about mounting your sub belts forward of the sub belt seat hole?
No he didn't.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:20 PM
JakeMate
Racer

Originally posted by Kerry
Jake,
Did John have any reservations about mounting your sub belts forward of the sub belt seat hole?
No he didn't.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:31 AM
JakeMate
Racer

Here's some pics:
Old 08-18-2003, 01:33 AM
JakeMate
Racer

Old 08-18-2003, 01:34 AM
JakeMate
Racer

Old 08-18-2003, 01:34 AM
JakeMate
Racer

Old 08-18-2003, 02:29 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 189 Likes on 96 Posts

Looks good Jake, but it appears you installed the harness bar designed for the Cab (R1029) instead of the one designed for the coupe (R1030). How come? Maybe that's why the instructions didn't seem very clear....they were designed for a different car. In any event, the instructions I got were staightforward and the installation was simple. Here's what the Brey Krause harness bar designed for a coupe looks like. Everything except for the rear-most piece that is bolted between the shock towers is easily removable to get access to the rear seat area.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 08-18-2003 at 02:55 AM.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:57 AM
JakeMate
Racer

Originally posted by Mike in CA
Looks good Jake, but it appears you installed the harness bar designed for the Cab (R1029) instead of the one designed for the coupe (R1030). How come? Maybe that's why the instructions didn't seem very clear....they were designed for a different car. In any event, the instructions I got were staightforward and the installation was simple. Here's what the Brey Krause harness bar designed for a coupe looks like. Everything except for the rear-most piece that is bolted between the shock towers is easily removable to get access to the rear seat area.
I used the cabriolet version because I have a subwoofer where the coupe version would go. My sub is removeable so I could have used either one I guess.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:36 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Nice. I have the same setup, except for the seats. I am kinda holding out for GT3 seats. And BK specifically states that you use the cabrio bar for coupes with the upgraded sound system.

Not so sure putting the anti sub belts on the front seat mounting bolts was such a good idea. A sub belt bar might be better. Any problems with the seat installation? What were the original seats?
Old 08-18-2003, 11:10 AM
JakeMate
Racer

Originally posted by Palting
Nice. I have the same setup, except for the seats. I am kinda holding out for GT3 seats. And BK specifically states that you use the cabrio bar for coupes with the upgraded sound system.

Not so sure putting the anti sub belts on the front seat mounting bolts was such a good idea. A sub belt bar might be better. Any problems with the seat installation? What were the original seats?
The original seats were just the regular seats with plush leather option. I don't know the name of the seats. The seat installation went pretty smooth. It takes a little time to figure out how to unplug all the necessary wiring connectors correctly. I guess it seemed simple because I just finished the third radiator install right after it and that was tough job. Oh...the OEM seats are friggin' heavy too....so getting them out without scratching anything is a little tricky.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:43 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 189 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally posted by JakeMate
Oh...the OEM seats are friggin' heavy too....so getting them out without scratching anything is a little tricky.
Definitely agree with that. My original seats were full power everything and were quite an armful. I covered almost everything but still managed to put a tiny nick in the leather rim on my steering wheel lifting them out of the car. I didn't know about the conflict between the coupe bar and the subwoofer........I don't have that option in my car. Thanks for the info, and congrats on the nice seats, etc.

Quick Reply: Seats, harness bar, 6-point harness installation results