996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

AOS from bottom with clutch/IMS/RMS install

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 11:22 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 278 Posts

I’m not sure how different the 996.1 and 996.2 are for this job but I replaced my ‘99’s with the UAOS while the car was on my lift. There were some things that I still had to do from the top, but I didn’t remove the intake plenum and fair amount of the work was done from below.

YMMV

Search the UAOS Tips and Tricks thread for lots of good info there.
Old 08-10-2023, 09:13 AM
tommelton
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 90 Posts

On my 996.2 (2003) I did the UAOS install when doing the IMS Solution. Engine in, transmission out. Not that hard of an install. If you have not replaced the AOS crossover pipe from the passenger side head - you might want to do that at the same time. Mine failed about a year later - just due to age likely. Skip has a redesigned crossover pipe for it (after I had already replaced though). I believe you can also go with a later 997 crossover pipe that doesn't go across under the intake plenum - that one goes outside the intake plenum to the flywheel side of the engine and crosses over there. Here is the link that mentions the hose going behind the intake: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post18467820

Here is the full thread about Skip's crossover hose https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ther-hose.html

-Tom
Old 08-12-2023, 05:46 PM
amargari
Racer

Received 415 Likes on 162 Posts

The trans being out makes the 996.1 much easier because you can see the bolts easily. The 996.2 is still a bit of a pain because the bolts go in from the top whereas the 996.1 go into the side from the bottom.
Old 08-13-2023, 05:57 PM
nolan879
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far I’ve got my IMS taken care of, I spent most of that time fighting the rear bolt of the AC compressor- what a nightmare. I had to teach in from the flywheel side with a box wrench to loosen the back alternator bolt.

Next on my list is the AOS, I’ve managed to loosen the 10mm bolt on the flywheel side, but I’m baffled on how to get to the second bold without removing the intake. I managed to disconnect the vent hoses, but am shrugging to get my hose clap tool onto the 3 spring clips.

Not sure if I need a box wrench to loosen the other AOS bolt, ¼” drive with a wobble/universal joint? Having an equally hard time attacking it from either the left, right, or above.

Quick Reply: AOS from bottom with clutch/IMS/RMS install