996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Tire recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 05:10 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Tirerack is doing tire testing on the new Dunlop ZII Star Spec, and should have a test video (and charts) out soon comparing it to the Hankook R-S3 v2, BFG Rival, and the other top tires. Will be interesting to see what results their results are, and how they compare to other tire testing autocrossers are doing on the same tires.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:41 PM
mklein9
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It appears tire technology has evolved a great deal over the last few years, as has the comparative quality from various companies. So anecdotal data is of limited use, I think.

That said, I have recent experience with 4 types of tires on my vehicles.

1. On the '02 996 C2: PSS. Just wow, blows everything else I've had away for handling and without comfort tradeoffs. Just tremendous. Unlike Michelins in the past, reasonably priced. Previous tires on this car were Pilot Sports, no PS2 or anything, and they were fairly old (6+ years), so comparisons are not fair (especially see below) but the PS were really awful -- much less traction and substantially harder riding, and significant tram lining. PSSs have none of those drawbacks.

2. On the '05 987: PS2. Superb as well, although without the power and suspension (the 996 has X74) difficult to tell at the limit. But comfortable, quiet, and as good a grip as I can get the suspension to push on them. Too expensive to buy again when worn out given the other choices likely available (couple of years from now).

3. On an '07 Toyota Sienna minivan (don't laugh). Previously had Continental Extreme Contact DWS which I absolutely loved at the beginning of their life for handling (yes, in a van!), a little louder and rougher than I would have liked but not objectionable. However, 5 years later and after only 29k miles, they are shot. By then the traction was much poorer than when they were new, squealing a lot on very moderate turns. Definitely loud. Disappointing. I am not a repeat buyer.

Just replaced the DWSs with new Michelin Sport A/S 3, because of great TireRack test results and again, reasonable price. So far so good, far better traction than the DWS and much quieter.

4. On the '87 Carrera, my favorite tire was the S02 PP. Had I kept the car I would probably have moved to the S04 PP. The S02 had an excellent balance of price, grip, comfort, and life.

I do not plan on any snow except light snow for the Sienna, and buy accordingly.

PSSs will fit on the stock 18" wheels with a little oversizing. Use 285/35-18 on the rears and 235/40-18 on the fronts. They work perfectly although the PO did roll my front fenders.

Last edited by mklein9; 09-13-2014 at 10:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire recommendation