996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Seller failed to disclose a lien...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 01:21 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Not disclosing a lien would be a cautionary flag to me about who you are dealing with.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:28 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
Not disclosing a lien would be a cautionary flag to me about who you are dealing with.
Exactly Steve........if the lien was brought up during the negotiation than no big deal. Like others have said purchasing a car with a lien is done all the time. The issue is not about the lien but honesty.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:03 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
The issue is not about the lien but honesty.
And remember, that bit of advice brought to you by a man named "Sneaky"!

Seriously, to all of you guys lurking in this forum and thinking about buying a 996 (I did that myself for 2 years during my search), do yourself a favor and buy Pete's car. Sometimes the answer is so obvious . . .

I'll bet if you made Pete a reasonable offer, he'd take it. And, you'd never regret buying (and driving) that car.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:07 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney

Seriously, to all of you guys lurking in this forum and thinking about buying a 996 (I did that myself for 2 years during my search), do yourself a favor and buy Pete's car. Sometimes the answer is so obvious . . .

I'll bet if you made Pete a reasonable offer, he'd take it. And, you'd never regret buying (and driving) that car.
Appreciate this and from others! You can lead a horse to....I forget how that goes.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:24 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

I'm curious what "title" you received. The lien holder should have the original title and the document you received should be clearly marked as a "non-negotiable" title. Correct??? If you have an original "negotiable" title it seems odd to me. Can you tell us what the "title" reads?

JHC!!! Just by SP's car and be done with it.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:29 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Judging from these responses, the process of buying and selling cars must vary by state. I wouldn't care less if the seller has a lien on the car or not. No big deal.

Other than the issues brought up by the OP with the seller's disclosure (the history and condition of the car) the lien is irrelevant (unless of course he failed to mention the lien at all). The only difference the presence of a lien makes is who the Buyer makes the check(s) out too.

Assuming all due diligence is done (PPI, RennFax...whatever) and you and the Seller have agreed on a price, proceed as follows if there is a lien on the vehicle.

Step 1: If you are also financing the car, let your finance company know who the current lien holder of the vehicle is. They will contact the lien holder, obtain the payoff amount and simply request you complete a Bill of Sale (usually available from your DMV website).

Step 2: You and the seller complete the Bill of Sale and send a copy to both finance companies.

Step 3: Your finance company will either send a check for the entire sale amount to the lien holder to pay off the lien. The lien holder will then issue a check to the seller for the difference, or, the finance company will issue 2 checks...one to the lien holder for the payoff, and the other directly to the seller. Depends on the finance company's policies.

If you are NOT using financing to purchase the car, but are paying cash...

Step 1: Have the Seller give their lien holder permission to give you information on the account. Contact the lien holder to get the current payoff amount.

Step 2: YOU decide if you want to issue 2 checks (as noted above) or one check to the lien holder and let them send any remaining money to the Seller. Depends on how nice the Seller was during negotiations

Step 3: Depending on the State...if you live in a State where the lien holder maintains the title to the car, they will send the Seller of the car a clear title to the car (with no liens showing), 7-10 days after the payoff is made. In the meantime, the new owner should be able to use a copy of the Bill of Sale to transport the car (varies by State). Once the Seller receives the clear Title, they complete the transfer info on the back, notarize their signature, and send the Title to the new owner.

If you live in a State where you keep the title, but there is a lien noted on the title, the lien holder will issue the Seller a lien release at payoff. This is usually just a simple letter or certificate. The Seller should give that to the Buyer along with the title (with all the transfer info completed on the back) and the new owner will use both the title and lien release to register the car in their name.

Note...most States will require the Bill of Sale and the transfer information on the back of the Title to be notarized.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:34 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Never ceases to amaze me what buyers will do when they get emotionally attached to a car during a prospective purchase.

1. You should have asked for a picture of the title front and back before the transaction took place.

2. I get that people want to finance because rates are so low right now but to still hold a lien when selling the car sends a different message.

All IMHO of course. What do I know?
Old 09-11-2014, 02:40 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

I get that people want to finance because rates are so low right now
Yep, I bought a car hauler trailer (pre-requisite for Porsche ownership) for 1.3% interest. I couldn't pass up financing it.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:41 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 456 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
You can lead a horse to....I forget how that goes.
Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2014, 02:42 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK

Yep, I bought a car hauler trailer (pre-requisite for Porsche ownership) for 1.3% interest. I couldn't pass up financing it.
I'm considering this. What did you buy?
Old 09-11-2014, 02:51 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
The point in my statement resides in the second part of the sentence as it relates to this thread.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:30 PM
Barn996
Race Director

As I recall, in Maine, the lien holder holds the title until the lien is satisfied, from my experience.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:32 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I'm considering this. What did you buy?
Of course KK bought a slightly used trailer after doing a thorough PPI. He then proceeded to change out the shocks, wheels, tires, hitch, lighting harness, bulbs and lug nuts.

He then sold his 996 C4S so he had room to keep the trailer in his garage...just in case it rained.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:42 PM
Canuck714
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Of course KK bought a slightly used trailer after doing a thorough PPI. He then proceeded to change out the shocks, wheels, tires, hitch, lighting harness, bulbs and lug nuts.

He then sold his 996 C4S so he had room to keep the trailer in his garage...just in case it rained.
LMAO... Its not better than new
Old 09-11-2014, 03:54 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 172 Posts

You guys are walking all over the joke setup. Dammit.

Quick Reply: Seller failed to disclose a lien...