Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

....Salesman schooled.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014 | 11:02 PM
JohnnyQuik
AutoX

Buying a car is a business transaction. Letting what some sales guy says influence that process is foolish. Whether he insults you or kisses your ***, it's about working the best deal for a product. I'm much more concerned about prompt and competent warranty service and a decent parts dept than the sales process. Good coffee doesn't hurt either.
Old 09-09-2014 | 11:07 PM
williamr91
Pro

I was looking a 987 Cayman S and was at a PCA Swap meet at my local dealer all morning, after I walk in and see a guy I see everywhere (Almost every PCA event he is there, always forget his name, good guy though, a true Porsche guy). I walked up to him and said, whats the story with the 11' Cayman he says well where asking 78k...I looked at him like are you F-ing kidding, and said, really why so much, he laughed and said woops wrong car, we want 40k for the Cayman. I said, its locked can I take a look at it?

He grabbed a plate, tossed me the keys (from about 6 feet away) said have it back with-in the hour (this was about 1pm, he meant have it back by 2), take her for a spin, I'm delivering a car right now, other wise I'd show you it a bit closer....you better believe I enjoyed that test drive hah! I highly doubt he would have done that to any other 23 year old, if we didn't see each other as often just at different events.
Old 09-09-2014 | 11:29 PM
tdrimer
Racer

I was told that once...car was expensive...better prices in used lot for a Lexus. I told the guy i was extremely wealthy and was thinking about buying his and hers. His ears perked up and then I said...nah, would rather have his and hers BMWs. My wife was embarrassed. I was only 30. We left. Went to a different Lexus dealer and bought one there...only one...but it was new!
Old 09-10-2014 | 02:48 AM
Copilot
Pro

I had an awesome test drive experience. I was admittedly way out of my league - I was in college and out exploring the Connecticut countryside on my road bike, and came across this place called "F40 Motorsports". It's the shop from the show Chasing Classic Cars (this is before the show, but Wayne was still there). I noticed a 944 Turbo in the lot, as well as a couple of classic Ferraris, Jags and a Lamborghini Murcielago as their centerpiece. I'd always loved 944s so I decided to come back the next weekend and check the car out.

I walk in, and it was like walking into a friend's garage - and I'm just your run of the mill 20 year old at the time. I could barely afford what they were asking for the 951, and it was the cheapest car on the lot by about $30k. After looking at it, Wayne says to me - you want to try it out? I went out on the test drive with him, absolutely terrified - and babying the car. He looks at me and says, "what are you doing? Drop a gear and give it some!". That was the first time I had ever felt a Turbo spool - and after that, I was hooked.

If it weren't for Wayne and his awesomeness, I probably wouldn't have entered into this Porsche madness
Old 09-10-2014 | 07:11 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Love the story Copilot= reminds me of the way things use to be.
Old 09-10-2014 | 10:25 AM
williamr91
Pro

^ Copilot that is a great story, CCC is a pretty cool show but Velocity has wayyyyyy too many commercials so I only watch once in a blue moon. Very neat that you drove with Wayne and he helped you start your love affair with boost and Porsche's.
Old 09-10-2014 | 03:14 PM
petonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by Medevack1
... as I’m looking at the NEW 2015 Carrera TT the sales person looks at me with a window licking face and says " You know that’s a $132,000 dollar car you are looking at."
I'm still trying to figure out what a Carrera TT (Twin Turbo) is?

The 911 base, 911 S, 911 CS, etc. are all Carreras.

The Turbo is not a Carrera. It's a Turbo.

Sorry to be a pedant here, but I learned that surprising fact after I became a relatively new owner of a Turbo several years ago.
Old 09-10-2014 | 03:58 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

My best dealer experience was back in 2008 when I was buying my first Porsche. Buddy and I went to check out a 2002 C2 in orange county and the dealer was basically a huge warehouse with a mix of about 100 Lambos, Ferraris, R8, Phantoms and so on. After we wonder through all the cars finally some guy in his late 30's comes by and introduces himself as the owner of the place. So I ask to see the Porsche but he tells me its at their service shop about 10 miles away and gives me the address of the place to go see it there. As we get ready to leave he comes back and says do you guy mind taking another car to the service place, I tell him sure why not where going anyways. He pulls out a stunning red testarossa and hands me the keys. It was the best 10 miles I ever had. Then when we get to the shop and ask for a test drive in the Porsche the guy comes out and say hey if they trusted you with a Ferrari then I guess I don't even have to come on the test drive with you and throws me the keys of the Porsche.
Old 09-10-2014 | 04:52 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Originally Posted by petonic
I'm still trying to figure out what a Carrera TT (Twin Turbo) is?

The 911 base, 911 S, 911 CS, etc. are all Carreras.

The Turbo is not a Carrera. It's a Turbo.

Sorry to be a pedant here, but I learned that surprising fact after I became a relatively new owner of a Turbo several years ago.
Back in the day some 930's were labeled Carrera Turbo. It's not just a Turbo either nowadays, it's a 996 Turbo, 997 Turbo, or 991 Turbo etc. Heck, every one of their lines except Boxster/Cayman has a Turbo.
Old 09-10-2014 | 05:17 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

That salesman was asskissing. I don't think he really gave two crap about a 40th anniversary 996.
Old 09-10-2014 | 05:31 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WalterRohrl
Back in the day some 930's were labeled Carrera Turbo. It's not just a Turbo either nowadays, it's a 996 Turbo, 997 Turbo, or 991 Turbo etc. Heck, every one of their lines except Boxster/Cayman has a Turbo.
It gets even more confusing with the new models. The Macan S has a turbocharged 3.0 liter engine. The Macan Turbo has a 3.6 liter turbocharged engine. Only the latter is known as the turbo, even though they both have turbochargers. The same will be true for the Cayenne. I've heard rumors that the base model Carreras will have a turbocharged 4-cylinder engine as an option.
Old 10-01-2014 | 01:40 PM
Trojan
Advanced

Originally Posted by Medevack1
Over the weekend I went to a local Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini dealership, to get a rear wiper cap from the parts Dept. As I’m waiting for the parts guy to show up, I somehow wondered into the Porsche showroom, I looked around for about 10 minutes and no one had approached me yet, as I’m looking at the NEW 2015 Carrera TT the sales person looks at me with a window licking face and says " You know that’s a $132,000 dollar car you are looking at." I looked back at him and smile and replied " OH REALLY WOW, thank you but I already have one ", The Sales Person then became very friendly and asked me what year and model I had and if I was looking to trade it in, I told him not trading it in but Thanks, I told him I owned a 911 40AE, he looked at me like I was telling a story... lol. When I explained what the 40AE was he was surprised and asked me if I could show him the car. We went outside and he was surprised to see one, he said he never heard of Porsche building such a car, then he complemented me on owning such a rare car and again questioned the year of the car, because the car looked flawless he couldn’t believe the car was 10 yrs old. We talked a bit more and Then the parts guy came back, so I left and I ordered my part. It felt GOOD to own a 40AE……. As I was leaving the salesperson shook my hand and thank me for shearing the car and the chat. He said I guess I learned something new everyday!!!!!
Was that Foreign Cars? I have never been impressed with the Porsche sales staff there.
Old 10-01-2014 | 06:14 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by Dennis C
It gets even more confusing with the new models. The Macan S has a turbocharged 3.0 liter engine. The Macan Turbo has a 3.6 liter turbocharged engine. Only the latter is known as the turbo, even though they both have turbochargers. The same will be true for the Cayenne. I've heard rumors that the base model Carreras will have a turbocharged 4-cylinder engine as an option.
Indeed. I had to watch a video on it when it first came out to sort out the differences. I've always thought the Macan S was a normally aspirated model. Sort of like the M3 vs. 335iM for some peeps...
Old 10-03-2014 | 08:31 AM
Joeva
AutoX

Tough job selling high end cars. You put your fifty hours in weekly standing around hoping that one "mark" will come in and allow you to manipulate him ( rarely "her") to pay a non-competitive price for a car nobody really needs. Some get a small draw against future commissions but for most its no sales- no pay. Where most car salesmen are waiting for a stupid customer with good credit, luxury sales depend on dreamers or egotists with deep pockets who have a need to prove to the salesman how deep their pockets are. It is the most corrupted sale most people ever encounter.

I love that dealership in Greensboro. Twelve million worth of inventory under one roof. I walk in, ask if I can look at their cars without a salesman and spend an hour being amazed at the beauty and wonderment of those Italian and German masterpieces.

Quick Reply: ....Salesman schooled.....