Sponsored by:

Would like to connect an ipod and cd changer to a cdr-220

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:29 PM
tcleaver
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would like to connect an ipod and cd changer to a cdr-220

I have a cdr-220 connected to a cdc3 cd changer. I do not want to change the head unit but I would like to connect an ipod to the system. However unlike all the cables and other options i have found online i DO NOT want to disconnect and loose the cd changer.
I am not fussed about charging the ipod or seeing track info on the head unit. The ipod would mount on the dash somewhere but i want a high quality input rather than an fm modulator.
Is there anything out there that will take the cd changer output from the cdr-220, split it to the cd changer and the ipod, and give me a manual switch which i could route and mount discretly in the cabin to select between the two?
I know i could put in an EQ or sound processor between my head unit or amp that adds an additional aux input but i would prefer a simpler solution if possible.
Thanks
Old 05-22-2012, 10:55 PM
SacTownGuy
Racer

Any answer on this one?
Old 05-22-2012, 11:40 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

I think all solutions are going to require losing the CD Changer. I guess if you were handy, you could make some kind of A/B switch. Give Becker Sound a call, they may be able to make one for you. I have a dedicated iPod Touch for my car and it renders the CD changer obsolete. There are several ways to do it - do a search here and on 6Speed. I did it with the Becker cable which is a little on the pricey side - around $110 if I remember correctly. It is a single cable that charges the iPod (or iPhone) at the same time. I know you said you don't care about charging it and you want to keep your changer, but having the iPod always charged is a nice thing, especially on a long trip. Plus you'll probably never use the CD player again. Others have done it with cheaper cables, but I am extremely happy with my set up.
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2012, 02:28 AM
otto06
Instructor

I am eyeing the Dennison 500 for this - its pricey but gives you aux, ipod, your cd changer and bluetooth if I understand correctly
Old 05-25-2012, 10:33 PM
SacTownGuy
Racer

Originally Posted by otto06
I am eyeing the Dennison 500 for this - its pricey but gives you aux, ipod, your cd changer and bluetooth if I understand correctly
I don't have Nav so I assume this is not doable for me!? It appears to interplay with the nav, ya?
Old 05-26-2012, 02:10 AM
otto06
Instructor

I dont have nav either - I think you lose some of the readouts but you can use it without Nav - or that is what the Dennison page said - I haven't made a final call yet - I might just go ahead and change out the head unit, move the HVAC controls down to the bottom and put in a double Din Nav - I have seen some nice installations that look factory now.

Let me know what you do!
Old 05-26-2012, 02:44 AM
Esexx
Advanced

Looks like we are all in the same boat. I have been searching online for the easiest way to connect a iPod/iPhone to my 220.

Otto, I have a long time friend in the stereo/alarm business since ~1986 and he knows his stuff. He is now next to the Galleria Mall in Redondo Beach if that isn't too far for you. I was going to give him a call after the holiday weekend. If you want his info, let me know.

I don't think he would discount(even for me), however he does know his stuff.

Originally Posted by otto06
I dont have nav either - I think you lose some of the readouts but you can use it without Nav - or that is what the Dennison page said - I haven't made a final call yet - I might just go ahead and change out the head unit, move the HVAC controls down to the bottom and put in a double Din Nav - I have seen some nice installations that look factory now.

Let me know what you do!
Old 05-26-2012, 04:53 PM
R1_Pete
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tcleaver
I have a cdr-220 connected to a cdc3 cd changer. I do not want to change the head unit but I would like to connect an ipod to the system. However unlike all the cables and other options i have found online i DO NOT want to disconnect and loose the cd changer.
I am not fussed about charging the ipod or seeing track info on the head unit. The ipod would mount on the dash somewhere but i want a high quality input rather than an fm modulator.
Is there anything out there that will take the cd changer output from the cdr-220, split it to the cd changer and the ipod, and give me a manual switch which i could route and mount discretly in the cabin to select between the two?
I know i could put in an EQ or sound processor between my head unit or amp that adds an additional aux input but i would prefer a simpler solution if possible.
Thanks
Not to ask a dumb question, but I will. Why would you wrry about the CD changer if you have i-pod connectivity? I just sawitched and now have i-pod ibn my centre console with the CDR 220. No need ofr CDs in teh car at all. Anything I wnat I stick on the i pod.

I went to discount car audio or some such..have the link if you PM me. Very cheap and easy to fit.. at least an interim solution?? I dont regret it all, and now all my fave CDs are back in the house..
Old 05-27-2012, 02:56 PM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How about an Mp3 changer like "Yatour" Has file search.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Peter 642
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought about this as well. If you really wanted low-tech and the easy way out, spend under $100 and buy a good FM transmitter. No wires, no hassle, no issue. Plenty of crap reception and static, though, but it will do the trick.

I'm likely going to do this; I'm in same boat with CD changer and radio, and I like stock, and don't want to swap it out. And yes, I do use both CDs and my iPod in my cars, as silly as that sounds. Dunno why, but I think it's because when I tried to retrofit my 8-track to the 996 I was told I couldn't do that, and got all mad....How on earth am I supposed to listen to my REO Speedwagon?
Old 05-27-2012, 11:22 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually, there is an automatic aux switcher, IIRC made by Sony, that works quite well. I have one and installed it and verify it works. If it detects anything on the Aux input it, when you switch to CDC, it plays from the Ipod (or anything else). Nothing connected to the Aux, then the CDC works as normally. I don't use it because I could never kill the small amount of alternator whine that it picked up. I know it is the device, as the whine is there whether the CDC or the Ipod was playing. Disconnect the device, and play just the Ipod OR just the CDC, and no whine. So close, yet so far. If anyones interested, I'll look up what it was (still have the paperwork). Right now, it's just sitting inside my console, unused. I figured if I really needed both, I'd work on it again. And, yes, I tried all kinds of chokes, and signal isolators everywhere. I think I need to go in to the device, and shield it with Mu Metal and a ground strap.

Once I got a nice CD recorder that can finalize music CDs, I made a bunch of mix CDs from many sources, and put them in there. Fine for me, as the 911 is a 3k mile a year car, not a DD and when I'm really having fun with it, I have no tunes playing.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:38 AM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The yatour kit comes with the switcher well under $50
Old 10-02-2014, 04:03 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 121 Posts

This is a bit dated now but I solved this recently. I constructed a 9PDT switch which basically switches all 9 pins of the CD changer cable between a CDC-3 changer and a Yatour (which handles iPod, bluetooth, SD, 1/8" audio mini plug).

This is what I did --- start with post 33. Hope this helps.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-headunit.html

Just to be clear --- what I stumbled onto was a way fulfill the original poster's request --- connect an iPod and a CD changer to the CDR/CR-220 all at the same time. This solution is different from using an iPod cable from Becker or SW Stereo because using the cable forces an "OR" situation. The 9PDT switch allows for an "AND" situation.

Last edited by Jlaa; 10-02-2014 at 12:15 PM. Reason: edit for clarity
Old 10-02-2014, 11:56 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

I bought an iPod cable from Becker that was plug & play - works like a charm w/ the 220.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:38 PM
ditto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Solisto high end model can do that. German company. Stuff arrives in 4 days.

Quick Reply: Would like to connect an ipod and cd changer to a cdr-220