Sponsored by:

Ghost in the window switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 11:13 AM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Ghost in the window switch

I unlock the car (using the fob), open the passenger door, and zoop, down goes the window.

Any idea as to the cause or the remedy other than an exorcism?
Old 09-08-2014, 11:46 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by porschedog
I unlock the car (using the fob), open the passenger door, and zoop, down goes the window.

Any idea as to the cause or the remedy other than an exorcism?
You need an old mechanic and a young mechanic.

Thank you and please remember to tip your server.

First thing that comes to mind -- after the lame humor -- is water in the door. If water is present this initially causes weird window and door lock behavior. Give the door a shake listening for any water noises. Check for dampness at the the bottom of the door. While you are there check for any dampness under the seats, particularly the passenger seat. I do not think you'll find any it is just a precaution.

Barring this dropping is a comfort (komfort in Porsche speak) setting -- which I do not believe that it is -- it reads like the door lock assembly (which controls more than just the door lock) -- is bad.

While I do not think it will help, you can remove the key, turn off all electrical loads, and disconnect the battery. Follow battery disconnect (and reconnect) procedures. Leave the battery disconnected a few minutes, or step on the brake pedal to remove any residual electrical power.

Be sure if required you have the radio security code.

After you reconnect the battery, you will have to set the window limits. Lower the window using the lower button. Release the button. Press and hold the raise button until the window is all the way up. Continue to press the raise button for 5 seconds after the window is all the way up. Release the button. Done. Repeat for the other window.

You will also have have to recalibrate the e-Gas. With the key off and your foot off the gas pedal, turn the key to the on position. Leave on for 60 seconds. Turn off the key for 10 seconds.

If you want to avoid the hassle of the battery disconnect, you could just try resetting the window limits.

If the battery disconnect or the window limit reset doesn't help, to id the cause the of the behavior you probably need the car connected to a Porsche diagnostic computer. The tech can query the car's security system which can supply error codes that pinpoint the failing switch or controller. The door lock assembly is a rather expensive item. The one in my Boxster cost around $400, so you probably do not want to throw parts at this behavior until you are sure the part is needed.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:14 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 208 Posts

Macster, thank you very much for very informative and helpful answer.

Much appreciated

Quick Reply: Ghost in the window switch