Sponsored by:

DIY Waterpump Tool Tip

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 04:24 PM
JohnnyRocker
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY Waterpump Tool Tip

Last week I helped a friend replace his 996's water pump. He had helped me replace mine this spring and we used all of the help posted here (http://p-car.com/996/diy/waterpump/) as our guide.

I found a tool this week to remove and install the "difficult" water pump bolt (on the lower right side close to the engine block) and wanted to share my findings. I used a Kobalt Right Angle Bit Driver (see pic) with the M10 bit. With the M10 bit I was able to force on a 10mm socket tight enough to loosen and tighten the bolt. I think Kobalt makes a socket adapter, but my kit didn't have one so I used the M10 with success.

The nice thing about this bit driver is the low head clearance. I approached the bolt from underneath and from the left side. There was plenty of clearance for the bit driver with the socket. I wish I had taken a picture to demonstrate but if you have the tool and are approaching that bolt from underneath you will clearly see the advantage!

I originally ordered this Kobalt kit to help with my spark plug/coil replacement project. This is a really great tool for the DIY Porsche garage and highly recommended for the water pump!
Old 09-06-2014, 05:17 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

I have also used the set for plugs and coils. It really helps with #4 if you don't pull the mufflers.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:49 PM
JohnnyRocker
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fpb111
I have also used the set for plugs and coils. It really helps with #4 if you don't pull the mufflers.
+1

I didn't pull the mufflers and this tool was invaluable for removal of my coil packs. I purchased it based on a recommendation from another Rennlister when I prepared to replace my plugs/coils last winter. I wished I had tried using it this spring when I replaced my water pump since I really struggled with that one bolt. Using it this week while helping a friend really made that water pump bolt an easy step!
Old 09-07-2014, 11:24 AM
joe-1972
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would agree... I said F-it and pulled my cross over pipes and my driver side header to do my water pump and thermostat! I'm gonna set her in fire if I ever need to do that again!!!
Old 09-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyRocker
Last week I helped a friend replace his 996's water pump. He had helped me replace mine this spring and we used all of the help posted here (http://p-car.com/996/diy/waterpump/) as our guide.

I found a tool this week to remove and install the "difficult" water pump bolt (on the lower right side close to the engine block) and wanted to share my findings. I used a Kobalt Right Angle Bit Driver (see pic) with the M10 bit. With the M10 bit I was able to force on a 10mm socket tight enough to loosen and tighten the bolt. I think Kobalt makes a socket adapter, but my kit didn't have one so I used the M10 with success.

The nice thing about this bit driver is the low head clearance. I approached the bolt from underneath and from the left side. There was plenty of clearance for the bit driver with the socket. I wish I had taken a picture to demonstrate but if you have the tool and are approaching that bolt from underneath you will clearly see the advantage!

I originally ordered this Kobalt kit to help with my spark plug/coil replacement project. This is a really great tool for the DIY Porsche garage and highly recommended for the water pump!
Yeh the water pump is a fiddly knuckle busting bastard of a DIY job. I wish I had seen that DIY you posted a couple of weeks ago beforre doing mine. Mind you, all turned out first time try with only a couple of band aids used along the way. I changed to the low temp thermo while I was in there. Thanks for your link.

Quick Reply: DIY Waterpump Tool Tip