Sponsored by:

pending 30K service

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 10:12 PM
fmmoto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pending 30K service

Hello all. I have a 30K service scheduled in a couple of weeks. Would it be prudent to replace the water pump at this time?
Old 08-28-2014, 10:58 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

from reading around here, WP @ 60K miles but cannot hurt to have it done now.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:13 PM
PORCAR
Racer

Originally Posted by fmmoto
Hello all. I have a 30K service scheduled in a couple of weeks. Would it be prudent to replace the water pump at this time?
I see quite a few being done early just due to age. I would do the coolant reservoir and cap at the same time as well.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:42 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by fmmoto
Prudent? Not in my opinion.

Well, I mean you have to do what you believe is best for you and your car, but unless the water pump is showing signs of distress were I you I'd leave it be.
'course, I'm a firm believer in the if it ain't broke don't fix it.

The same goes for the coolant tank, etc. (I would probably replace the coolant cap if it was an older version.)

Also if the anti-freeze was original I would have that replaced. I am a firm believer in a coolant drain and refill with fresh anti-freeze blend every 4 or 5 years. One reason why the water pump in my 02 Boxster lasted 172K miles.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:20 AM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Yes, do it and use OEM. Your pump is 10yrs old and a known issue on a 996. Just replaced mine on a 45k car, they can fail without a lot of warning. It's not big money or effort.

I would generally agree if it's not broke, don't fix it - but this is just insurance in my opinion.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:23 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Yes, replace the water pump with an OE Porsche part. Flush coolant, and replace the thermostat and gaskets.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:45 AM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just did the IMS, RMS, clutch, as I was jacking up the car (32,000 miles, 12 years old, I just bought it.) the pump started weeping! The first sign was right then! So I pulled it and the blades had started to contact the block showing some friction wear, but not loss of blade fins. I caught it just in time. I replaced it with a Porsche part. Not a bad job at all with all of the good resources out there. I also replaced the thermostat while I was in there of course.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:08 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoSpeed996
I just did the IMS, RMS, clutch, as I was jacking up the car (32,000 miles, 12 years old, I just bought it.) the pump started weeping! The first sign was right then! So I pulled it and the blades had started to contact the block showing some friction wear, but not loss of blade fins. I caught it just in time. I replaced it with a Porsche part. Not a bad job at all with all of the good resources out there. I also replaced the thermostat while I was in there of course.
With ref to the coolant system, I am in the exact process as you had. I have the pump and thermo out and waiting for the Porsche parts in the mail as I type. I am putting in a lower temp thermo as part of the change. One fin was partly chipped. Just caught it in time. A slight coolant drip on the garage floor gave it away. There was no play 'as I could detect' on the bearing but guess that was where the coolant weep was coming from. Some PITA fiddling job that turned out to be. It should be back in double time now that I know how things go back and which wrenches and makeshift tools I have to use to complete the job haha.

Quick Reply: pending 30K service