Targas 101 and unicorns.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 11:54 PM
uribeman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targas 101 and unicorns.....

Hey guys,
Ive been lurking on this awesome forum for some time, mostly learning and having a blast with the threads....especially the IMS in the movies one.....genius. My friend has a 996 aero and I enjoy working with him on his car and have an overall appreciation for the brand...I guess its only a matter of time before I join the club.

Not long ago, I seriously engaged an owner (outside this forum, on craigslist) for a black on black 996, but the deal never happened. So it got me thinking that I was really glad the deal fell through for two main reasons:

1. It was prob a bad deal, with a bunch of twists about the story of the car along the way. Perfect for a bar conversation.

2. But mostly, because from the get-go Ive always envisioned a guards red in my driveway. The absolute icing on the cake....a guards red targa. To each his own, but to me, that is THE ONE. The unicorn that is rarely seen. So I was only half-doing it from the start and im not sure thats the feeling you should have after just buying a car.

So after doing some reading about Targas, Ive found that there are few and far between out there for the 996 model, especially in red. They started in 2002 for the 996 model. Keep in mind that Im not saying there arent any available right now, but that when compared to TTs and aero's, there seems to be less offer. Hec, even the 40 AE has 2-4 available on the market at any given point, and only 1963 were made! So is this lack of targas because it was an unpopular model at the time w owners still digesting the water cooled switch? Is it because it was just a big sunroof instead of the removable top like before? All of the above?
And the other big thing w Targas is the price....Only time I searched and actually found a red targa for sale, it was being sold for $27k w average prices between $23-$28. So to me, that is comparable prices to TT or extremely well eqquiped aeros. Hec, Ive seen aeros for $17-$19k!! For a few more bucks you are also within 40AE range! Sure, you may be able to find the onesie-twosies at the "Chuck and Cheese AutoHaus" dealers for cheap, but overall, they seem to be in that range. So in summary, here are my two questions for you guys:

1. What do you know about 996 Targas
2. What is your unicorn? THE ONE that is rarely seen? If you drive it already, congrats! For my buddy, his unicorn is the zanzibar red aero.

Thanks guys, its always a blast to read this forum.
Att,
The honorary member w/out a Pcar
Old 08-28-2014, 12:29 AM
3cyltrbo
Rennlist Member

my unicorn (still looking) is the following

Seal grey / black sports seats / crest headrest / full leather / PSM / advanced technic / X51 / PSM

basically a seal grey 40th anniversary
Old 08-28-2014, 01:29 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 169 Posts

Old 08-28-2014, 01:49 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

DT - That's just mean. I have some ice cream - you didn't get none!
Old 08-28-2014, 07:17 AM
porsche951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Targas account for less than 4% of all 996's. So good luck.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:36 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

There was a link to a model lookup or something like that posted in this forum a few months ago. I think, if I was reading the information correctly, that there were about 500 targas in the U.S. in 02 and 03 and about 200 in 04 for a total of about 1200 imported to the U.S.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:14 AM
uribeman
Intermediate

DT congrats! It was kinda mean.....but all in good spirit. Yor car is a beauty! If you eeeeeeeeever decided it was time to get rid of it.....

They currently have one for sale at Unique Auto in Escondido,CA in guards red for $28k, its the one I mentioned above. Hopefully it ends up in Rennlisters hands.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:15 AM
uribeman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 3cyltrbo
my unicorn (still looking) is the following Seal grey / black sports seats / crest headrest / full leather / PSM / advanced technic / X51 / PSM basically a seal grey 40th anniversary
Good luck, hope you find it!
Old 08-28-2014, 10:27 AM
Neto
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are into Targas, check this one out, its not Red but mileage & price & year its a great deal IMO.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...0070/overview/
Old 08-28-2014, 10:29 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Neto
If you are into Targas, check this one out, its not Red but mileage & price & year its a great deal IMO.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...0070/overview/
I'm not far from there. That guy sells toooons of salvage cars and doesn't disclose unless specifically asked. Beware caution alert red flag danger!!!!
Old 08-28-2014, 12:41 PM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's surprising how much of an open-air feel there is to a 996 Targa with the roof open and the windows down. To me, much more than "a large sunroof". And while you might not use a Targa (new or old) for the track particularly due to a less rigid/solid roof, if you feel you lose some handling capabiltiy because of the weight in the glass structure (150lbs), just install a better suspension.

Having to stop and fiddle with, and store the roof panel of the earlier Targas is not an advantage to me. Plus they did not have the openess of the all-glass roof, and the convenience and other features of the 996 Targa.

The upside of the new 991 Targa, aside from the overall improvements to the car itself, is that you lose the thin strips of roof on either side above the windows. The new Targa is sweet for sure, but the downsides imo, are you lose virtually all of the storage area behind the seats to stow the roof assembly, you lose the hatch feature, you cannot open/close the roof other than at a complete stand still and something tells me that there is likely more potentially to require maintenance/repair with the complicated, electric folding structure.

Just my $.02.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:53 PM
uribeman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I'm not far from there. That guy sells toooons of salvage cars and doesn't disclose unless specifically asked. Beware caution alert red flag danger!!!!
Remember how at the top I mentioned the really great deals to be found at the "Chuck e Cheese Autohaus Motorsports".....

DT are you in PA? Im in MD, not too far from me either.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:55 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 PGH 1
and something tells me that there is likely more potentially to require maintenance/repair with the complicated, electric folding structure.
True, but only after the warranty runs out
Old 08-28-2014, 01:15 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uribeman
Remember how at the top I mentioned the really great deals to be found at the "Chuck e Cheese Autohaus Motorsports".....

DT are you in PA? Im in MD, not too far from me either.
Yup. Just outside Harrisburg.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:24 PM
jdogden
Advanced

After retiring in 2005 and having sold a 1969 Targa in 2003 to get married, I immediately started looking for a Targa. I considered a 997 but did not want the 4 wheel drive. I also wanted something unusual like brown or tan full leather with wood trim. I was quite disappointed in some of the cars I tried and was not keen to a black or grey interior. I also wanted a color that would make the black glass roof look stand out. Lucky for me I mentioned to the Colorado Springs Porsche dealer what I was looking for and less than a week later he told me about this car!

Less than 3% of 996 production were Targas. This car has the rarely seen full Boxster Red leather interior including the 3-spoke steering wheel, Euro M-30 sport suspension, sport exhaust, aluminum look package and 18" Sport Classic wheels.

The Targa was a $7400 price increase over the Carrera and for $2400 more than that got you a Cab. I think that contributed to the low sales.

My car took 1st place over a 2014 Corvette, 2009 Audi R8 and a 2007 Shelby Super Snake which all tied for 2nd Place at the 2014 Denver Concourse d' Elegance.

The best thing about a Targa is when you go to a local event, yours is the only one there!

And yes, I drive the car. My son and I love the M-30 suspension and the fun of the PCA Autocross events.

John
'03 Targa
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Targas 101 and unicorns.....