Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Buying a 996 at long distance? Without seeing it in person?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 10:15 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I have bought 4 of my 996's this way. Always PPI and have a Rlister look it over. I have looked over 6 cars here in CO for other members. Renn is so above any other board (regardless of brand) with regards to its members integrity. Heck I trust a rennlist member morethan some mechanics

Just my .02
Old 08-27-2014, 10:24 PM
bernardbarbour
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on all of this. Get a Renn-member to help you in the local area. Gather as much info as possible, interview the seller etc, PPI, and then go get your car. Nothing like a great road trip in a P-car. I was living in Georgia at the time I bought my car in PA. twas a great road trip I'll always remember. Cheers and post up when you get your car, road trip photos and all.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:45 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Mail order brides

The general rennlist responses to buying a Porsche over the phone or internet point toward mixed experiences, at best.

IMHO-mail order brides seldom prove to be good wives.

relinuca
Old 08-29-2014, 11:28 AM
sfv_rider
Instructor

I bought mine on eBay from a dealer in Tennessee, and then drove it back to Los Angeles. I've done the same with two motorcycles (one on Denver, another in Missouri) that were ridden back home. Fly out, drive / ride back.

No regrets with any of them. It's been my experience that most sellers are honest, and make a fair representation of the items on offer. I have a well-developed slimeball radar.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:03 PM
'02onthebrain
Intermediate

I bought mine this past January sight unseen from a Porsche dealer in Chicago and had it shipped to me in PA. The dealer took advantage of me with some work they claimed was done but wasn't. However it wasn't something a PPI would have found or another Rennlister would have found. Given that I was searching for a millennium edition, I still would do it again. I love the car.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:00 PM
Zenski
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought mine in California, used the check list form here and had my brother test drive it.
Didn't do the PPI and I guess I lucked out as I have put 25k on since I bought it with no major issues.

I had mine shipped as it came with a hard top and it didn't seem right to drive a cab 1/2 way across the country with a top on it.

I have to say the car has been way more reliable than I expected.

Loving every day I get to drive it, which is limited here in Wisconsin.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:26 PM
MBA-Sailor
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zenki - which shipper did you use?
Old 09-08-2014, 09:57 AM
Zenski
Instructor

I used Auto Transport and they quote it out. I ended up using Cosmos Auto Inc.
It took about a week once they picked it up and they delivered it right to my house.
I let my brother drive it for a week for for helping me out, so it was about 2 weeks before I got.

Three years ago it cost $690.00
Old 09-08-2014, 05:12 PM
mklein9
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used Reliable Carriers when mine was shipped from Minnesota to NorCal. They were exceptionally good, used an enclosed and climate controlled trailier (it was winter). Driver kept in touch, easy to work with. Perfect experience. But double (or more) the cost of a good open trailer which I used to ship mine back and forth to Flat6 in Georgia. No issues with those either, and less than half the cost of enclosed.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Canuck714
Instructor

I have purchased several out of state cars and it can work out great. There are always risks associated with a purchase that you dont physically lay eyes on, so if possible, go see/touch/feel/listen to the car.

When I was doing my search for a C4S, there were low mile and high mile, cheap price and high priced cars available. Once you see enough cars, the mileage and price doesnt always go hand in hand, so dont get caught up in the great deal. Sometimes paying more for the better maintained car with higher miles is the right way to go.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:03 PM
tdrimer
Racer

I'm in Florida and bought mine in CT. PPI and did IMS while still in ct before it was shipped.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:44 PM
sds911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a PPI before you buy, unless you have money to burn. But, if you have money to burn then why not fly out to sunny California for a weekend and test drive it yourself?
Old 09-13-2014, 08:38 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

in case some are not tracking OP's many threads, he pulled the trigger on the car in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...se-a-lien.html

Quick Reply: Buying a 996 at long distance? Without seeing it in person?