Sponsored by:

FABSPEED - Cuda911's Cat Replacement Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 11:56 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicker10u
Unbelievable. Scratch Fabspeed off my list of options. That response was so off topic and unrelated to the situation at hand that I had a hard time sifting through it.

Good luck to you Mike- you might have to chalk this one up to a Loss. These guys are so out of touch it hurts!
x2. Seems like they tried to respond to cover their rep and help themselves doing damage control more so than addressing your specific situation at hand. We're not talking about some cheap $100 part here. They really did shoot themselves in the foot here.

FWIW, I've been happy with Speedtech(speedtechexhausts.com) parts and service. I think they are also sponsors on here or used to be at one point.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:06 AM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Completely unacceptable "solution"
Old 08-12-2014, 03:43 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fabspeed's silence is deafening.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:06 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

Moreover, all of the aftermarket exhaust manufacturers should be more upfront in telling customers that there product will not pass a California visual, and that a high flow cat will trigger a MIL lamp for cat efficiency. It is also funny that they all claim a 15-25 HP increase with there systems, I say bull****. The Cat extenders will most likely stop the MIL light from triggering, Nicely polished stainless is masking an inferior product. There is a reason that the OEM cats are so expensive, they are a lot higher quality. And there warranty policy is nuts, Just send you two new cats, it will cure the problem for a year or so, and they can send the old ones back to there top tier supplier for reimbursement. Defiantly poor customer service
Old 08-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
So, why doesn't everyone here just slap on some extenders to pass smog? Or is that something the smog techs will look for right away?

In CA now, if you get a notice from DMV that you have to take your car to a "STAR-certified" smog inspection shop, they go out of their way to fail you. STAR-certified shops get to charge three times as much for running the exact same tests as non-STAR shops.

Re: "If Fabspeed cat converters work..." Yeah, that's my concern though. There is no way for me to know if they are working or not.

My mechanic claims that Fabspeed's guy (I don't know which one... I assume Mickey, since that's who he deals with the most there) told him to ask me if I had run high octane gas, thus ruining the cats.

In my entire life, I have never gotten so much run-around for a clear warranty issue. Sears will take back a 30-year old tool and exchange it, no questions asked.

I also don't understand why I was under the impression that my cats had been sent back to Fabspeed, when, in fact, Fabspeed told my mechanic to not send them in, since they were going to send the extenders.

At least a tiny shred of communication would have been good. Everyone involved has my name, address, email, and cell phone number.

Can someone from Fabspeed please answer, in this thread, the issues regarding using an O2 extender as a fix?

Pluses? Minuses? Potential issues? Is it really a "fix" or is it a "band-aid"?

I do not have the background to understand this issue from a technical standpoint, so hopefully an engineering type guy can educate me.

Thanks!
Extenders serve one purpose, they fool the O2 sensors into not triggers the CEL. If your car has no cat converters, you install the extenders so that you don't have the CEL. Your car will still fail the sniffer test, but there will be no CEL.

In AZ, OBD 2 cars don't have to do the sniffer or visual test. You pull up to the station, they connect their OBD 2 scanner to the car; if no faults present, you are GTG. So using the extenders in AZ to eliminate the CEL is a viable solution; in CA not so much.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I have had factory cats fail on my 04 GT3 and my 09 C4S. So even factory cats are not perfect. Never used anything but 94 octane fuel. Rumor has it that some 94 octane contains more than 10 percent ethanol which will eventually kill cats. Dunno if true, in any case my cats were replaced under warranty. The suspect gas station changed suppliers and there have been many fewer dead cats recently.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:32 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmark
It is also funny that they all claim a 15-25 HP increase with there systems, I say bull****.
200 cell cat and cat bypass actually do make 15-25hp. Majority of that isn't peak but "below the curve" where it's most useful, especially in a street car.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 460 Likes on 299 Posts

Moreover, all of the aftermarket exhaust manufacturers should be more upfront in telling customers that there product will not pass a California visual. And there warranty policy is nuts, Just send you two new cats, it will cure the problem for a year or so, and they can send the old ones back to there top tier supplier for reimbursement. Defiantly poor customer service
Exactly!!. Any cat manufacturer selling throughout the US should be familiar with the regulations for their product in the states they sell to.

Alex at Fabspeed at one point told me that he wasn't aware that Fabspeed cats weren't CA compliant!

Why is Fabspeed acting like it would put them out of business to just replace the cats? Insane.

Originally Posted by Joe@Fabspeed
mike cuda car will be handled as all our other customers.
Just so that it is clear to all of you, the "service" documented in this thread is exactly how you will be treated too, directly from the owner's mouth (well, keyboard).

Old 08-12-2014, 11:07 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Update (August 11, 2014):

Well, no response or reply from Fabspeed.

I picked up my car today. The mechanic told me that Fabspeed insisted on having them install the O2 sensor extenders, rather than replacing the cats. He said that he would not been at all satisfied with this "fix" if it were his car.

I don't consider myself very satisfied with this "resolution" either.
Extenders do nothing to reduce emissions they only help prevent a CEL.

If only you had a Cayman, read post#8 in this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...uld-i-get.html
Old 08-13-2014, 02:22 AM
niche
Drifting

Why is this taking so long?
Old 08-13-2014, 02:30 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by niche
Fabspeed's silence is deafening.
Crickets....unbelievable
Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I have had factory cats fail on my 04 GT3 and my 09 C4S. So even factory cats are not perfect. Never used anything but 94 octane fuel. Rumor has it that some 94 octane contains more than 10 percent ethanol which will eventually kill cats. Dunno if true, in any case my cats were replaced under warranty. The suspect gas station changed suppliers and there have been many fewer dead cats recently.
Bob, you have a PM
A rather expensive loss, at that. I spent nearly $6,000 on the Fabspeed Performance Package. Not exactly chump change.

With two kid's college tuitions that I am paying, rather painful.

I have received numerous PM's from guys telling me that they considered Fabspeed equipment, but after reading this have crossed Fabspeed off of their list.

I can't understand why any business would torpedo itself this way.
Mike, sorry for your troubles and lo$$! After following this thread, I contacted a friend, to advise him against a Fabspeed system for his 964. Hope they rectify the problems with your system.

Best,

Dwane
Old 08-13-2014, 04:24 PM
BTERRY1
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Currently happy with my Fisters. If I ever make the jump to performance exhaust I will no longer consider Fabspeed as an option based on Mike's experience as I am a CA resident in San Diego.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:36 PM
niche
Drifting

Fisters are great. I had Fabspeed supercups on my 1st 993 and the drone was unbearable...
Old 08-13-2014, 05:11 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

..., and that a high flow cat will trigger a MIL lamp for cat efficiency.
I've had 200 cell high flow cats (Cargraphic) on my car for over a year and not a peep from my computer.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:18 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

For what it would have cost them to just send you a new cat I bet they have already lost 100x more of potential profit. With so many options available at your fingertips keeping customers happy is the key to stay in business for a long time.

Quick Reply: FABSPEED - Cuda911's Cat Replacement Thread