Sponsored by:

The 911 Carrera virgin!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 02:28 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

Enjoy the car, you will LOVE it!

Oh, and regarding your earlier post about the fixed wing/spoiler.... when that was installed, they disconnected the switch for the original movable one.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:35 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome!! It's like getting a new Porsche, at half price (kind of)!

I would check the tires, and if they are 10 years old, replace em fast, and start accumulating some rock chips on that pristine front!!
Old 07-30-2014, 02:51 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! Sounds like you knew what you wanted and were willing to make the decision when the opportunity arose! Beautiful ride by the way. You are on the right track by driving it for more than a few miles at a time.

If the tires are original - you can check the date code on the sidewall - you might want to take it easy while you use them up. Old tires even with great tread tend to get hard and perform like hockey pucks.

And not to add to the IMS hysteria, but after incurring an engine loss on my C4S - it had been a low mileage rarely driven car prior to my purchase - you just might want to budget around $1500.00 and have the bearing replaced with a retro fit. The best time to replace the bearing is when the original one is fine - waiting until it starts to degrade or fail just isn't what the retrofit was designed for. I see no need to spend money on all the other "while you are in there" items - except maybe replacing the RMS (rear main seal). The original RMS was prone to leakage but the latest seals seem to hold up well and it's just a few bucks more when doing the IMS bearing.

You have basically a brand new car for dimes on the dollar - and lot's of life left in it to allow you to drive it often with no worry of it becoming a high mileage car.

Don't worry about feedback on the price you paid, you got what you wanted and how much you paid isn't the point.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:18 AM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by silotwo
Congrats! Sounds like you knew what you wanted and were willing to make the decision when the opportunity arose! Beautiful ride by the way. You are on the right track by driving it for more than a few miles at a time.

If the tires are original - you can check the date code on the sidewall - you might want to take it easy while you use them up. Old tires even with great tread tend to get hard and perform like hockey pucks.

And not to add to the IMS hysteria, but after incurring an engine loss on my C4S - it had been a low mileage rarely driven car prior to my purchase - you just might want to budget around $1500.00 and have the bearing replaced with a retro fit. The best time to replace the bearing is when the original one is fine - waiting until it starts to degrade or fail just isn't what the retrofit was designed for. I see no need to spend money on all the other "while you are in there" items - except maybe replacing the RMS (rear main seal). The original RMS was prone to leakage but the latest seals seem to hold up well and it's just a few bucks more when doing the IMS bearing.

You have basically a brand new car for dimes on the dollar - and lot's of life left in it to allow you to drive it often with no worry of it becoming a high mileage car.

Don't worry about feedback on the price you paid, you got what you wanted and how much you paid isn't the point.
Thank you so much for all the input, since Saturday when I bought the car I follow suggestions from this forum I stop by a local Porsche repair shop yesterday, to get some input they recommended to change the IMS, tires, because even they have great thread the rubber is old to change all the fluids, belts and check the clutch. I thought that was a little bit overboard. Today I stop at the Porsche dealer I told them about the IMS issue and the existing lawsuit, they quote me if I want to replace the IMS $8000 and they said in a car with that low mileage is not worth it, they will take the IMS and replace it for exactly the same so why should I go through that expense, my car had oil change and the battery replaced after the certified inspection by the dealer (Not a Porsche dealer), which I have a 2 months warranty unlimited miles.

The Porsche dealer suggested, change the brake fluid, multipoint inspection, change the cabinet air filter and that's it. Is better for me to get an extended warranty to cover engine and transmission and drive my Porsche worry free. This sound reasonable so far.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:47 AM
LesField
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason you swap an IMS, is that your car's engine internals have been sitting dry for the majority of it's life. Normal milage cars have had a good flow of high oil pressure.

It really isn't good for an engine to be sitting around. IMS replacement is quite cheep, as independent garages will just swap it out. Porsche will change the entire shaft hence the cost.

There is a 5% chance of a single row (2003 model) IMS failure, but with your mileage it will be much higher.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:57 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

$8000 for a dealer IMSB change? Too bad they wouldn't be making any profit on that retrofit!!!
Old 08-01-2014, 10:32 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
$8000 for a dealer IMSB change? Too bad they wouldn't be making any profit on that retrofit!!!
Lol, find a new dealer or better yet, a good Indy.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:36 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulations on fulfilling your dream and welcome to rennlist I'm really digging the color comb
Old 08-01-2014, 12:19 PM
williamr91
Pro

If you paid that much (996 Turbo money) I feel it is worth the extra 2-3k to do the RMS & IMS $8k is outrageous. As some have stated the internals and the IMSB has not be used to keep it in good order. Failure rates, seem to go along with low mileage cars. The warranty is a good idea, but I personally would 'self insure' the engine and take car of ALL The Fluids, Belts, battery, tire, breaks, RMS & IMS, etc" now and not go with the warranty. From the looks of it a new engine for a 996 is 5 digits; a rebuild can be as low as 7k from what I've seen.

When my engine goes, I'm going to have a turbo slapped on and rebuilt to a 3.8 or 4.0l and drop some serious coin to make it into something scary

Congrats on buying a gem. I'd also suggest a clear bra.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:18 PM
porsche951
Pro

I'd be a lot more comfortable buying a 996 with 64k than one with 4k. And $43k would buy a very nice 996TT.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:54 PM
AA717driver
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

$8k for an IMSB?! WTF?

CB, I have two words for you--Daily Driver. It's what 911's should be and what 996's virtually MUST be.

Get an Indy mechanic to change the IMSB (or ship it somewhere reputable) and then drive the hell out of it.

Enjoy!

TC
Old 08-01-2014, 11:37 PM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
Congratulations on fulfilling your dream and welcome to rennlist I'm really digging the color comb
Thanks, exactly around this time 8 days ago, I saw the car listed for sale the color combo, stick and cabrio made it for me.

Originally Posted by alpine003
Lol, find a new dealer or better yet, a good Indy.
I have 3 Porsche dealers around my area sounds like a good idea to have another estimate

Originally Posted by LesField
The reason you swap an IMS, is that your car's engine internals have been sitting dry for the majority of it's life. Normal milage cars have had a good flow of high oil pressure.

It really isn't good for an engine to be sitting around. IMS replacement is quite cheep, as independent garages will just swap it out. Porsche will change the entire shaft hence the cost.

There is a 5% chance of a single row (2003 model) IMS failure, but with your mileage it will be much higher.
The previous owner drove the car every week between 5-7 miles per week (sorry for using the word driving so improperly) which means the car never seat for long period of times, I have to find how much and Indy will charge to replace it.

Originally Posted by Barn996

Originally Posted by williamr91
If you paid that much (996 Turbo money) I feel it is worth the extra 2-3k to do the RMS & IMS $8k is outrageous. As some have stated the internals and the IMSB has not be used to keep it in good order. Failure rates, seem to go along with low mileage cars. The warranty is a good idea, but I personally would 'self insure' the engine and take car of ALL The Fluids, Belts, battery, tire, breaks, RMS & IMS, etc" now and not go with the warranty. From the looks of it a new engine for a 996 is 5 digits; a rebuild can be as low as 7k from what I've seen.

When my engine goes, I'm going to have a turbo slapped on and rebuilt to a 3.8 or 4.0l and drop some serious coin to make it into something scary

Congrats on buying a gem. I'd also suggest a clear bra.
Thanks for the info, clear bra is coming next week, I have an unlimited miles warranty bumper to bumper until September 26 of this year, I'm going to drive it the next couple of months as much as I can, I made an appointment at a Porsche dealer to perform a multipoint inspection and change all fluids, except oil which it was changed last week along with the battery. After my warranty expires I will get the extended one and as miles go up slowly I will change parts as need it, RMS and IMS replacement as of today, I'm thinking to replace them when I get close to 20000 miles

Originally Posted by porsche951
I'd be a lot more comfortable buying a 996 with 64k than one with 4k. And $43k would buy a very nice 996TT.
My original plan was to buy a 997 (years 2005-2009) because I like the headlights better than the 996. My ideal characteristics were Cabrio, stick shift, with black or gray interior and a black or dark blue color with no more than 45000 miles, price range between 42 to 50000.
Finding a vehicle with my ideal characteristics I knew that was impossible, I almost take home a 2007 Carrera
Interior: Black
Exterior : Silver
Transmission: 5-Speed Automatic with Tiptronic
Mileage around 36300
I didn't do it just because the salesman was a complete jerk, car had 3 owners, clean carfax but not my dream car, eight days ago browsing for a Porsche around the evening hours, I found my new love which was newly listed one owner clean carfax with everything I was looking and more, so I said screw the headlights and then I bought it!!

[QUOTE=AA717driver;11547773]$8k for an IMSB?! WTF?

I know, I told the service advisor if it comes with a hot date with Maria Sharapova you can take my money He then starts laughing so I'm guessing it doesn't come with the date

CB, I have two words for you--Daily Driver. It's what 911's should be and what 996's virtually MUST be.

Get an Indy mechanic to change the IMSB (or ship it somewhere reputable) and then drive the hell out of it.

Enjoy!

Thank you, I'm driving it as much as I can right now!!!
Old 08-11-2014, 10:26 PM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Before start putting miles on it, I decided to take it to a Porsche dealer to get a through inspection and do the 3 year maintenance as suggested which will fit my miles and year of my car. Fluids were changed, transmission, brake, oil and filter also spark plugs, serpentine belt and cabin air pollen filter with the corresponding inspection.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:16 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great looking car. I hope you drive it every day and enjoy it. The car will never appreciate in value, only depreciate, they are a dime a dozen, so there's really no reason not to drive it.

Its like the guy who has a smoking hot girlfriend that he never screws, hes just saving her for the next guy.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:10 AM
Canuck714
Instructor

Congrats, stay clear of the dealer when it comes to the IMSB.. Porsche is not interested in upgrading the bearing, so you will pay high dollar for the same problematic bearing from them.
Go to LN Engineerings web site and look at approved installers near you. (or call them for a recommedation) The Indy shops that are certified to do the LN upgrade should have you fixed up for $1500

Quick Reply: The 911 Carrera virgin!!!!