Sponsored by:

Z-Max What?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 02:31 PM
cinellipro
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Z-Max What?

Let's get this out of the way. "It's crazy to use an additive in your 996." It's spelled out in the owners manual, etc.
Since oil and the IMS seem to be inextricably connected, would there be any benefit in using an additive that may facilitate friction reduction. I am wondering if any Porsche racing teams use oil additives to further lubricate their engines.
Cheers.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:53 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I do recommend adding something to your oil sump to reduce friction. Something specifically designed for this purpose.

Oil.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:52 PM
phil996cab99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your white Carerra looks amazing by the way.

For gas, I considered adding Techron just because Chevron with Techron gasoline seemed to come out on top for owners' favorite gas. No Chevron where I live, so maybe add the Techron to the Shell gas I buy, yet to be determined. Another factor for me is considering 91 octane due to price. 93 is such a ripoff sometimes, its price doesn't drop when the lower octanes drop.

For oil, I have no idea. My plan is to start doing oil analysis (Blackstone) and tracking metal in oil filter. Also maybe magnetic oil plug if I can't find a realtime equivalent. I like the idea of IMS Guardian, but I'd rather have a numeric readout than an on/off light.

Last edited by phil996cab99; 07-25-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:57 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

The "On-Off light" is a hell of a more useful than an oil analysis done after draining it.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:36 PM
cinellipro
Instructor

I'm not sure why there's so much disdain for this additive. Z-Max sell their product under the name AVBlend for use in air-cooled airplane engines. I'm not sure if the FAA has such high standards as Porsche, but maybe some credibility might be given to an organization approving a product that is involved in keeping planes in the air. I'm just sayin'
Old 07-28-2014, 01:23 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cinellipro
I'm not sure why there's so much disdain for this additive. Z-Max sell their product under the name AVBlend for use in air-cooled airplane engines. I'm not sure if the FAA has such high standards as Porsche, but maybe some credibility might be given to an organization approving a product that is involved in keeping planes in the air. I'm just sayin'
Do you work for Z-Max or just watch the commercials? Using the engine and adhering to a proper oil change interval with a quality synthetic is the best medicine for a long lasting engine.

Z-Max has been sued some many times for making false claims that it isn't funny.

Never used any additive and never will. But, as the saying goes, "there is an *** for every seat and a sucker born every minute."
Old 07-28-2014, 05:56 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Let's see the official aproval certificate from the FAA.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:45 PM
02TX996Cab
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An intact, stock IMS is a SEALED bearing that does not see any engine oil. If your stock IMS is intact then adding any snake oil to your crankcase will do zip/zero/nada for your IMS' performance.

If your IMS begins to fail, which often starts with the bearing grease being slowly washed out of the bearing, then I would not put the life of my engine in the hands of an oil additive.

I cannot tell you what oils Porsche racing uses in their race motors. I do know that many oils formulated specifially for track use are VERY different than those for street use, with the racing oils becoming completely spent after a few hundred miles.

Just my $0.02.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:51 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I think you may want to read http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...E/AC91-33A.pdf
before you make any rash statements about the FAA do's and don'ts regarding Auto Fuel being used in airplane engines. It's quite lengthy and diverse in it's findings.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:48 PM
RRocket
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soverystout
Do you work for Z-Max or just watch the commercials? Using the engine and adhering to a proper oil change interval with a quality synthetic is the best medicine for a long lasting engine.

Z-Max has been sued some many times for making false claims that it isn't funny.

Never used any additive and never will. But, as the saying goes, "there is an *** for every seat and a sucker born every minute."
Actually, Z-MAX beat the Federal Trade Commission lawsuit by proving it does everything they claim..EXCEPT they were forbidden from advertising improvements in MPG....which is what the initial lawsuit was about.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:05 AM
cinellipro
Instructor

Indeed there was a lawsuit, but Z-Max provided evidence to the Federal Trade Commission to justify their claims. On March 20th 2003, the FTC agreed to allow the manufacturer of zMax to continue with their claims that the use of zMax actually works as advertised. I am not in auto industry and have no interest beyond verifying whether any 996 owners have used it and found it to provide what it claims. I’m just trying to get passed the preconceived notions and baseless sweeping attitudes and look at the “evidence” to decide about the merits of this product.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:37 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Someone has done way too much research on this thing when they could've just asked here in the first place. Everyone knows that unicorn tears is the best additive for the fuel and unicorn semen for the oil. Enough said.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:17 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts

Just read the lawsuit. Zmax can only advertise what it can prove. The lawsuit went over whqt it can say and can't say.

They can not say decreases engine wear and increases mileage but they can say reduces friction and cleans deposits.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:18 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

If you want to use a lubricant that was selected by Jake Raby for the M96 , you might search on Rennlist for "Joe Gibbs DT40 ". Between those two guys there is possibly more knowledge on this subject than most of us could offer?

Quick Reply: Z-Max What?