Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Who still has their original IMSB? And why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 07:45 PM
coffeehead
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my latest 2000 996 3.4 with 130k miles and a leaky RMS for a song. It was a local car with a stack of dealer receipts from new.

I took it to the dealer, where they did the RMS, IMS, and some odds and ends for $1,500. They came with a two year, unlimited mileage warranty.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by coffeehead
I bought my latest 2000 996 3.4 with 130k miles and a leaky RMS for a song. It was a local car with a stack of dealer receipts from new.

I took it to the dealer, where they did the RMS, IMS, and some odds and ends for $1,500. They came with a two year, unlimited mileage warranty.
Hope this doesn't come across like I'm raining on your parade but at that price that IMS job did not involve an IMSB upgrade.

At that price and with the other things you had done I dare say it was the IMS end flange and bolts that were replaced, along with RMS and some odds and ends.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:06 PM
coffeehead
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Hope this doesn't come across like I'm raining on your parade but at that price that IMS job did not involve an IMSB upgrade.

At that price and with the other things you had done I dare say it was the IMS end flange and bolts that were replaced, along with RMS and some odds and ends.
No problem. I figured as much. I was buying the warranty. If it grenades, I know Porsche's good for the labor of an engine pull, plus likely a few grand prorated credit towards a shiny new engine.

I'll still be into the car for less than a new WRX.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:10 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 5CHN3LL
I debated whether to even post this question, since I'm pretty sure it's going to be misinterpreted, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway.

When the Guardian goes off, it's an indication that you now have metal in your oil pan and you need to shut the car off. However, once there's enough metal in the oilpan to jump the electrodes in the Guardian plug, isn't it also true that you likely have metal everywhere you have oil in the motor? My assumption based on other posts is that just replacing the bearing at the point you already have bearing debris throughout the motor is stupid, since you can't ensure that you won't be pumping metal fragments through the replacement bearing. This seemingly makes the Guardian an indicator that it is now time to flatbed your car somewhere to have the engine torn down, cleaned, and reassembled - so I'm unclear on how the Guardian is better than getting on a maintenance schedule that includes replacing the bearing at appropriate intervals...
No, not misinterpreted at all. As the other poster mentioned, it should alarm well before damaging amounts of metal occur, and well before the bearing grenades, which you have no chance at all of knowing without it.. Jakes tests made that clear as to its usefulness. In addition, which I'm surprised you didn't catch, since I have the spin on filter adapter, with a Mobil 1 full flow, no bypass filter on it, which filters far smaller particles than the OEM, no particles big enough for the filter to stop would ever enter the engine anyway, just pass through the primary oil pump. It's a one way trip to the pan & filter with a no bypass unit. What more can you do?
Old 08-19-2014, 06:05 PM
jjb7
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

92K miles, still original.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:08 PM
jjb7
Rennlist Member

92k Miles, still original.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:32 PM
twills99
Intermediate

2002 C4S Tip. 102K Miles. Original IMS, no issues....
Old 08-20-2014, 10:55 AM
Christian Louis
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Macster
My 02 Boxster has its original IMSB. 280K miles and counting. Why? Because it is bullet proof.
That is very impressive! Would you please share what kind of oil you are using and often do you change it. Any other advise to extend the life of our engines would be appreciated as well.

Thank you!
Old 08-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Christian Louis
2nd Gear

93k original IMS. Noticed small specs of grey debris in oil filter from last oil change.

Quick Reply: Who still has their original IMSB? And why?