Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Who still has their original IMSB? And why? (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/822946-who-still-has-their-original-imsb-and-why.html)

porsche951 07-04-2014 12:39 PM

Who still has their original IMSB? And why?

Fifteen months ago when I purchased my 2002 Targa I'd heard of "issues" with the 996 motor but wasn't overly concerned. In the coming months after perusing these forums I developed a paranoia that had me waiting for my engine to detonate at any second. Originally I planned on having the $2500 clutch and upgraded bearing done ASAP. But a very expensive unforeseen repair on my BMW made me put the bearing upgrade on hold until I could raise sufficient funds. Then getting run over by a car while cycling put me even further into the hole. Finally back to work after 6 months things may return to normal. The last few months I've calmed down. At 71k miles my car isn't one of those seldom driven garage queens, oil changes come every 3k miles. Upon examining my filter not one fleck of anything shiny is to be found. And my clutch isn't slipping. When I have the funds to do the clutch and bearing I'll do it. It just doesn't keep me up nights worrying anymore.

Noz1974 07-04-2014 01:05 PM

I would say if your checking your filter every 3 k you should see the signs early enough to stop driving it and have it done, they say the failure rate is 5% on single row bearings and 1 % on the earlier dual row , there is the option of a magnetic drain plug from LN Engineering or the ims guardian which replaces the drain plug with a sensor that sets of a warning light and buzzer on your dash, also fits into one of the buttons on your centre console so quite neat!

Gator996 07-04-2014 03:50 PM

112,000 miles on my original dual row bearing.

Barn996 07-04-2014 03:55 PM

There is a lot of internet hype that has added fuel to the fire. Yes, there are plenty of stories about the impending failure BUT, some owners haven't driven their garage queens enough, some have followed the Porsche oil/filter change (12k miles or so), and others have theirs replaced immediately after taking ownership of the 996/997. I check my filter and change the oil once a year at only 4k miles driven, and have 68k miles on my C2. Last oil change I found no particles of any kind in my filter element or the magnetic drain plug. Some other Rennlist 996 owners share my belief that our IMS are fine, others have to upgrade at once to the many offerings available as soon as they purchase a used 911. I think you have to make your own decision that you are comfortable with regarding this repair. Read as many magazines out there that have written numerous articles and that may help you decide the best choice for you. hope you've recovered from your bike accident.

MiamiC70 07-04-2014 04:35 PM

I do. It's on my desk :/

thstone 07-04-2014 05:38 PM

139,000 miles on original 1999 996 IMSB. Why still original? No reason to replace it. There are just as many other engine components that fail but are not hyped (like lifters or chains or tensioners or... the list goes on and on).

Last month I had to rebuild my Boxster engine with 136,000 miles and 89 track days on it. The IMSB was in perfectly good shape (engine had a failing lifter).

What I really needed was a "Hydraulic Lifter Guardian"! :)

Dennis C 07-04-2014 06:12 PM

I had my IMSB replaced as a preventative measure when my original clutch was replaced at roughly 120K miles. The original bearing did not show any signs of impending failure.

PORCAR 07-04-2014 06:16 PM

Even if you had the $24k to replace the engine, good luck finding one. And good luck selling your car if you haven't had it done. Thank the internet for that one. I look at it as regular maintenance. My car hasn't cost me a dime to repair, so I'm not that upset about doing it. If it comes back next week that it was in fine condition, no biggie.

Rubik 07-04-2014 06:42 PM

I think my car still has the original IMSB and I don't have a history specifically on the IMSB since I bought it from a used car dealer - although a very reputable one. Before I bought it however, I checked with the Porsche dealership where the car was purchased and serviced for its first 67K miles and no major issues in the car history - alternator was changed once. However, the following 10K miles is a bit hazy. Anyway, as a precaution, I bought extended warranty for $2500 to protect me in the mean time ($2500 now or $20K later), but I plan to take it in soon to have the IMSB upgraded to have a piece of mind. I just did a DIY oil change and checked the filter and it was clean. I do agree that preventive maintenance beats repair almost every time. Plus, if the engine goes, where am I going to find an engine?! No, I won't take chances.

vu.q.le 07-04-2014 06:44 PM

I have the durametric tool. Is there a way to monitor impending IMS wear using the tool?

Macster 07-04-2014 08:56 PM

My 02 Boxster has its original IMSB. 280K miles and counting. Why? Because it is bullet proof. :evilgrin:

andys-944 07-04-2014 09:02 PM

140k plus miles 15,000 mile oil changes original IMS bearing running like a champ :)

996pp 07-04-2014 10:53 PM

65k miles on original and i dont plan on spending $800 on a stupid bearing just because people on the internet whos you know whats are the size of that bearing complain that its the weakest part in the engine. If my engine kaputs because of that i will just set it on fire and ditch it.
Rubik youre like 3 miles away from me

AA717driver 07-04-2014 11:30 PM

Bought last August with 63k mi. Oil change at 5k. No sparkles in the filter. At 73k now.

Due for another oil change and 75k service. Indy says the clutch may last till 80k. DD when I'm home (12 days/mo. +/-) but no tracking.

Original single row which will be replaced with the clutch.

TC

vu.q.le 07-05-2014 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Macster (Post 11486813)
My 02 Boxster has its original IMSB. 280K miles and counting. Why? Because it is bullet proof. :evilgrin:

280k mikes? Wow!
What's the trick?