Sponsored by:

gotta love Wyoming

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 12:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by jims911
ECS Tuning - yes, everything went smoothly. The C4S ran perfectly, steady 185°F, not a single issue. An excellent road-trip car, except for trying to pack all of my girlfriend's crap in!

Macster - you are right, you do have to be careful and a little lucky, you can still get a ticket for sure. There are a lot of long straights where I feel I can see that there are no cops hiding, and so some higher speed blasts. It's always a gamble, but so far I've won and had a great time doing it.

Ck986 - I don't know that you can count on the 10mph rule anymore. I set my cruise control (when not playing) at 85, and passed cops without issue. That is true 85, had to calibrate my speedo with my GPS. It reads 3-4 mph fast, regardless of speed over 30. So 88 indicated is 84 or 85 actual.

"Long straights where I feel I can see that there are no cops hiding" reminds me of a story an engineering department manager I worked for told me. He was on his motorcycle out on 95 highway -- I can't recall if it was the section between i-10 and I-40 or I-40 and 93 (I've driven both sections). The road is pretty straight, one can see for miles in the distance, and lightly traveled. Well, used to be I haven't been there for around 10 years. Anyhow, he headed north and found a good spot to open the motorcycle up. As he was blasting down the road at who knows what speed he passes a clear spot off the side of the road in the sage brush with a vehicle with official markings on the side. The coworker was going so fast he didn't know what the official markings were but decided what was done was done, so slowed down and continued on to a point where there was a gas station and small diner. He stopped and went in to have a bite or maybe a cup of coffee. A few minutes later in walked the sheriff who walked over to the coworker and said in his best good old boy voice "Better slow that thing down, son." and then walked away.

About the only way you can be reasonably sure the road ahead is clear is to have a buddy drive it and scout it out and then call you via phone or walkie talkie and give you the all clear. Even then you have to worry about some rancher pulling out from a nondescript side road -- dirt usually -- or a wild animal darting out.

Quick Reply: gotta love Wyoming