JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 208 Posts

How many wire CPS is that, 2 or 3 ?
Old 07-24-2017, 06:15 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

3 wires. 2 for the coil and one for the cable shield.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:14 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

CPS issue is gone. Snuck in two canyon drives for the first time in a month or two.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:32 AM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ahsai
3 wires. 2 for the coil and one for the cable shield.
OK, thanks, so it is not a hall sensor.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:34 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnCA58
OK, thanks, so it is not a hall sensor.
Nope, it's just a simple coil (with a magnet next to it) for robustness, reliability, and simplicity.
The cam sensors are hall effect sensors.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:27 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Nope, it's just a simple coil (with a magnet next to it) for robustness, reliability, and simplicity.
The cam sensors are hall effect sensors.
Thanks again, I was thrown for a bit because of the shielding on a A/C output sensor, on the diesel side we never had any shielding on that type sensor, only on data communication wiring and throttle position wiring, back in early 2000's the A/C output sensors were popular but failures were common, all speed/position sensors in use with today's engine are hall effect sensors with far fewer failures.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:36 PM
Di Zhao
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, I am diagnosing the sensor as well. What is the voltage from the 3 wires when engine is not running? I know one is ground. When I measure the other two, both are giving me 2.5V....Do you happen to know?
Old 04-13-2019, 03:06 PM
mklein9
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh my, it's been a long time. I looked over the thread and didn't see where the DC voltages of the CPS signal wires were ever measured (may have missed it though). Anyway, when the engine is not running, the two signal wires should be at some equal DC voltage since the CPS is a magnetic pickup and will only force a voltage when it's picking up movement, i.e. a changing magnetic field. It's probably likely that the DME biases the wires to some value convenient for detecting an AC signal, and I'd guess 2.5 V which is half the 5 V the DME runs on. So, both being 2.5 V sounds, at first glance, like the right condition.

BTW since fixing this issue and a similar throttle positioner issue (poor electrical contacts), the engine has accumulated about 45k miles and it has been running perfectly.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:24 PM
Di Zhao
AutoX

Originally Posted by mklein9
Oh my, it's been a long time. I looked over the thread and didn't see where the DC voltages of the CPS signal wires were ever measured (may have missed it though). Anyway, when the engine is not running, the two signal wires should be at some equal DC voltage since the CPS is a magnetic pickup and will only force a voltage when it's picking up movement, i.e. a changing magnetic field. It's probably likely that the DME biases the wires to some value convenient for detecting an AC signal, and I'd guess 2.5 V which is half the 5 V the DME runs on. So, both being 2.5 V sounds, at first glance, like the right condition.

BTW since fixing this issue and a similar throttle positioner issue (poor electrical contacts), the engine has accumulated about 45k miles and it has been running perfectly.
Thank you for prompt reply. My problem is very intermittent, random misfire on both banks without another codes. Still don't know what condition causes the issue. So my guess is the cps. Check fuel pressure and it was good. Also replaced coils and plugs, but issue still exist. Vacuum is good too. Will be looking at scope this weekend and see if I have any luck. When there is no misfire, car runs strong.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:34 AM
Di Zhao
AutoX

MK, according to wiring diagram, there is a ground shield, does it suppose to touch vehicle frame? I accessed the DME, connector III and found 980ohm to the crank sensor on pin 46 and 32, which indicate that the connectivity is good for the sensor coil. But the ground wire pin 45 is open and doesn't go to the vehicle ground. And when I measured the connector side under the car next to the sensor, the ground does connect to vehicle ground. Thus I think it means there is disconnect somewhere? I guess my other question is, does the DME pin 45 goes to vehicle ground or it should be insulated?
Old 03-25-2023, 03:46 PM
gidget11
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temporary fix for crankshaft position sensor

If your car crankshaft position sensor get faulty during your journey there are some temporary fixes which help you a lot. I find this post very useful for such situation. Read Here
Old 03-25-2023, 07:43 PM
Di Zhao
AutoX

Originally Posted by gidget11
If your car crankshaft position sensor get faulty during your journey there are some temporary fixes which help you a lot. I find this post very useful for such situation. Read Here
Thanks for sending this tip. Sorry hadn't had a chance to report the final fix. After so much diagnostic, the issue revealed itself when I decided to rebuild the entire wire harness in the engine bay. It was the darn wire harness!. The wire was shielded and the shield was in bad shape. That explained why car misfired randomly only at lower rpm, as the voltage from the sensor is proportional to rpm. The ecu couldn't get a clean signal when rpm was low without a good shield. I had to route a new shielded wire (from local harware store) to bypassed the original harness from cps directly to the ecu. It worked perfectly and no misfire for 2+ years now.
The following users liked this post:
dporto (03-25-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 09:07 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

Always nice to have a happy resolution!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crankshaft Position Sensor Diagnosis