Sponsored by:

First Porsche purchase semi-bad experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 08:10 PM
538awhp
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 5CHN3LL
But it'll have a nice set of wheels and tires...rolling (literally) in style.

I hope OP will share the build/rebuild/whatever thread.
I will be dropping the car off today.

Thanks everyone for the shop recommendations.

After calling and visiting numerous shops I have narrowed my decision to 9XX motors in Long Beach. I read good reviews on this forum. Jason the owner seemed very knowledgeable and he gave me the best quote for the rebuild. The fact that the shop is very close to home is also convenient.

I will ask if I can document and take pics of the rebuild process. If so I will create a rebuild thread.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:57 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I will be dropping the car off today.
Wait, what????? You bought a roller with the intention of having a shop repair it? Do you realize what this is fixing to cost you?
Old 06-20-2014, 10:11 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

See the rebuild vs a refresh thread. 9XX will repair the intermix and refresh the rest. The OP will have a nice car for a reasonable cost and he should drive the crap out of it.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:12 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,561 Likes on 2,769 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
I bought my '99 roller 2 years ago for $5K. Black on black with LSD and a 3 spke wheel. Its a driver's car. Tore the engine apart, replaced some bent valves, refreshed the heqds, new vario cam.pads, gaskets, a good clutch, bought a hybrid ceramic IMS bearing that I made to fit and been on the road for 2 years. Total cost was $8500. A'99 996 roller is $5K and I'm not the only one that bought one for that much.
i've never seen a 996 roller under $6500 - show me now

i know your stuck in your little bubble but majority of people on rennlist don't repair their cars - you are in the small majority who do - anyone who doesn't wrench is going to spend lots more money buying a roller and rebuilding/replacing engine unless they dump a used engine in the hole which is a crapshoot

Last edited by groovzilla; 06-22-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:57 AM
BiteEmNBeatEm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltusler
See the rebuild vs a refresh thread. 9XX will repair the intermix and refresh the rest. The OP will have a nice car for a reasonable cost and he should drive the crap out of it.
Can't go wrong with Jason over at 9XX Motors. He does great work and does it right the 1st time. Like ltusler said the final out come will be a great running car at a reasonable cost.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:06 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2 years ago I sold my 996 with a blown (non-rebuildable) motor for < $5K. Why would anyone pay much more than that when replacement motor options start around $10K?
Old 06-23-2014, 10:48 AM
Howaboutthat
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
We should take it easy on the OP. He's just learned the hard lesson of why the 996's can be so costly to own. You guys are probably right that he will end up with a $28,000, 130,000 mile, 15 year old 996, thats practically worthless. As Alpy pointed out, thats not even counting all the drivetrain and suspension costs for that mileage.

Personally, if I didnt have the skills to do the rebuild myself, I would cut my losses and pass it on as a roller (which it now is).
It is the precise version of a world-class sports car that he wants, and only would be worthless if it does not provide him with lots of fun miles down the road. We also do not know that the entire engine needs to be rebuilt -- presumably, most with a one-way intermix do not (cracked head or the like, versus d-chunk or whatever). Let's hope that your rather miserable perspective does not catch on further.

Quick Reply: First Porsche purchase semi-bad experience