Sponsored by:

Switched live power source

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 12:59 AM
318touring
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Switched live power source

Was trying to find a switched live power source for my V1, unfortunately I do have telephone in my car so the telephone prep. connector featured in everyone's how-to doesn't apply me.

I do have this cable as pictured, and wondering whether anyone knows which cable I can use for my V1? The connector was where the car-phone was connected to. I have removed the car-phone a while ago to avoid the 90's look.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:19 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

If you have removed the phone, why can't you use the telephone prep connector? It should still be there.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:56 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,353 Likes on 847 Posts

You can tap into wires by the sunroof. There's a tutorial here somewhere that tells which is which. I'll try to find it.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:13 PM
318touring
Pro

@frisbee91 - it is the phone connector on the picture. I have plugged the V1 cable directly to that connector, and no joy.

@Dennis - mine a cab, so no sunroof. I should've mentioned that in the original post.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:45 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

I think there's some confusion. What Dennis referred to (I believe) is the 4 pin phone prep connector that should be present in the car regardless of whether you have a phone installed. What you show is another connector that connects the handset to the phone module. So if you can find that 4-pin phone prep connector right under the center console (it should already be connected to something since you had a phone installed), you can still tap into it for always-hot or keyed power.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:51 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm confused, and not sure we are talking about the same phone connector. Did you have to dig around behind the center console to find the connector? You can't just stick your V1 plug into a pre-made connector.

Try this:
Remove the batwing or the side panel of the center console (or both). Find this cable. (for you it might be plugged into something already.)

You can either cut off the plug, or find some connectors at radio shack to jam in the holes. Run wires to the device of your choosing using the following color coding:

Brown - Ground
Yellow - mute signal to radio
Green - Switched 12v
Red - Unswitched 12v

Hope this helps.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by frisbee91
I'm confused, and not sure we are talking about the same phone connector. Did you have to dig around behind the center console to find the connector? You can't just stick your V1 plug into a pre-made connector.

Try this:
Remove the batwing or the side panel of the center console (or both). Find this cable. (for you it might be plugged into something already.)

You can either cut off the plug, or find some connectors at radio shack to jam in the holes. Run wires to the device of your choosing using the following color coding:

Brown - Ground
Yellow - mute signal to radio
Green - Switched 12v
Red - Unswitched 12v

Hope this helps.
Yes, that's called the phone prep connector and it should be in the car regardless of whether a phone is installed.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:18 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Yes, that's called the phone prep connector and it should be in the car regardless of whether a phone is installed.
You can get the matching connector from Becker Autosound:

http://www.beckerautosound.com/parts/index_porsche.html

It's not cheap ($25 or so), but it keeps your installation neat. As a previous poster explained, it provides 12v constant, 12v switched, ground, and radio mute.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:24 PM
318touring
Pro

Yes, I've been looking for that particular connector, twice, it might have been plugged into the PCM which is higher up in the console and (very) hard to see.

I've got heated seats and wondering whether I can tap into that .....
Old 06-03-2014, 07:19 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,353 Likes on 847 Posts

I think there's some confusion. What Dennis referred to (I believe) is the 4 pin phone prep connector that should be present in the car regardless of whether you have a phone installed. What you show is another connector that connects the handset to the phone module. So if you can find that 4-pin phone prep connector right under the center console (it should already be connected to something since you had a phone installed), you can still tap into it for always-hot or keyed power.
Nope - I was actually talking about tapping into wires by the sunroof motor. But he has a cab...
Old 06-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dennis C:11413275
I think there's some confusion. What Dennis referred to (I believe) is the 4 pin phone prep connector that should be present in the car regardless of whether you have a phone installed. What you show is another connector that connects the handset to the phone module. So if you can find that 4-pin phone prep connector rigdht under the center console (it should already be connected to something since you had a phone installed), you can still tap into it for always-hot or keyed power.
Nope - I was actually talking about tapping into wires by the sunroof motor. But he has a cab...
Oops, I meant frisbees.

Quick Reply: Switched live power source