996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Best Oil for 996

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014 | 12:46 AM
TSMacNeil
Racer

lol
I think a simple poll as a sticky would reduce oil threads...as mentioned. List the top 5 or 10 oil choices and let the poll speak for itself.
Old 05-29-2014 | 05:50 PM
RallyDogRacing
Rennlist Member

Not to fan the flames of opinion-hell; but for those reacting to the more recent negative comments against the Mobil 1 product family - it is probably rooted in the formulation changes a little while back where more of the Zinc (ZDDP) was remove from the mix due to (I believe) EPA and Marketing pressures.

I'm not for advocating a magic oil bullet in terms of brand - simply because the formulas change over time. For the initial startup of a newly rebuilt motor is it worth it to spend a few extra bucks on a high ZDDP oil (read: Break In Oil)? Well for me I decided it really couldn't hurt so I went for it. I will drain it in 1k miles and switch to a 0w40 with as much ZDDP as I can find at not ridiculous cost. I can't prove it did anything except make me feel better about having covered all the bases. So I got value from it.

To my limited understanding the Zinc is the last chain of defense in providing protection from metal to metal contact when the oil integrity has broken down. So I might as well go for the formulations that were as close in ZDDP levels to what was available in 2002 as that's what things were designed for.

Granted I'm sure far more damage happens because of the Ethanol in our fuel than happens from changes in the ZDDP content of our oil... I just can't find pure-gas in 93octane without driving a few hundred miles.
Old 05-29-2014 | 06:01 PM
extanker
Banned

Originally Posted by morganabowen
I have had many Porsche and I presently use Mobil 1. I have found that if I go over the recommended 3K miles my car begins to run odd. It seems to labor or just feel heavy. I do use Motul on the tranny, but since Mobil 1 has served my engine well for so many years, I think that I will stick with it
wow
Old 05-29-2014 | 06:23 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RallyDogRacing
Not to fan the flames of opinion-hell; but for those reacting to the more recent negative comments against the Mobil 1 product family - it is probably rooted in the formulation changes a little while back where more of the Zinc (ZDDP) was remove from the mix due to (I believe) EPA and Marketing pressures.

I'm not for advocating a magic oil bullet in terms of brand - simply because the formulas change over time. For the initial startup of a newly rebuilt motor is it worth it to spend a few extra bucks on a high ZDDP oil (read: Break In Oil)? Well for me I decided it really couldn't hurt so I went for it. I will drain it in 1k miles and switch to a 0w40 with as much ZDDP as I can find at not ridiculous cost. I can't prove it did anything except make me feel better about having covered all the bases. So I got value from it.

To my limited understanding the Zinc is the last chain of defense in providing protection from metal to metal contact when the oil integrity has broken down. So I might as well go for the formulations that were as close in ZDDP levels to what was available in 2002 as that's what things were designed for.

Granted I'm sure far more damage happens because of the Ethanol in our fuel than happens from changes in the ZDDP content of our oil... I just can't find pure-gas in 93octane without driving a few hundred miles.
JG DT40 had higher zinc levels in the oil at 2300 miles/3 track days then either M1 15-50 or Castrol 10-60 ($$ BMW stuff) with a thousand miles/1 track day on each according to my Blackstone OAs. I was surprised since M1 15-50W is advertised as a high zinc level based racing oil. DT40 has the highest flashpoint of those 3 as well.
Old 05-29-2014 | 07:29 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RRocket
I'm running Amsoil Mid-SAPS...which is now licensed to the Porsche A40 specifications for 2014.
Great oil, I run their Dominator Racing Oil mixed 50/50 with this oil in 15/50....
Old 05-30-2014 | 11:30 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by morganabowen
. I have found that if I go over the recommended 3K miles my car begins to run odd. It seems to labor or just feel heavy. :
oh really? Its all (and I do mean ALL) in your head
Old 05-30-2014 | 12:17 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Originally Posted by TSMacNeil
I think a simple poll as a sticky would reduce oil threads...as mentioned. List the top 5 or 10 oil choices and let the poll speak for itself.
Great concept on paper at least......... BUT:
* must be READ first and foremost
* then reader is convinced he is armed with enough info to make own decision(s)

But sadly more often than not, skip the time and effort needed to read a POLL since its much easier to just start a new thread and have members do the work. IOW, I predict a hundred more oil threads in the future...with IMSB threads a close second
Old 05-30-2014 | 03:57 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by kromdom
I predict a hundred more oil threads in the future...with IMSB threads a close second
I'd have to disagree and say the cylinder scoring is gonna eclipse the IMS posts soon.

Canucks are in trouble...
Old 05-30-2014 | 06:00 PM
AA717driver
Rennlist Member

I'll second the >3,000 mi. issue. I changed my oil at 67k, intending to take it 5,000 mi.

At just over 70k my water pump failed. Proof positive.

TC
Old 05-30-2014 | 06:19 PM
bernardbarbour
Racer

Default Premature oil changing is harming the enviroment

Originally Posted by AA717driver
I'll second the >3,000 mi. issue. I changed my oil at 67k, intending to take it 5,000 mi.

At just over 70k my water pump failed. Proof positive.

TC
Yes, AA717driver. I think the factory interval calls for a longer mileage oil change on the P-Car, but I regularly change mine at 5,000 miles or once a year. Now as far as the "other cars" in our motor pool, my wifes Infinity and our Land Rover they get changed at 7,500 miles or sometimes even more, lol.
Old 05-30-2014 | 07:26 PM
serg911
Intermediate

Thanks, all, for the replies. And sorry to those that suffered through another oil thread Always interesting to hear what folks are thinking out there.

Forum is great!
Old 06-03-2014 | 05:48 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

For the initial startup of a newly rebuilt motor is it worth it to spend a few extra bucks on a high ZDDP oil (read: Break In Oil)? Well for me I decided it really couldn't hurt so I went for it. I will drain it in 1k miles and switch to a 0w40 with as much ZDDP as I can find at not ridiculous cost.
Rallydog, I agree with you but if your really in Houston I would use 5W-40 JG DT40 for max ZDDP and insurance against CEF.
Old 06-03-2014 | 06:24 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Rallydog, I agree with you but if your really in Houston I would use 5W-40 JG DT40 for max ZDDP and insurance against CEF.
If you're in houston Rallydog, I would just make the drive over to KK's to pickup and recycle his old 500 mi OCI JG-DT40 he has barrels of.
Old 06-03-2014 | 06:31 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

If you're in houston Rallydog, I would just make the drive over to KK's to pickup and recycle his old 500 mi OCI JG-DT40 he has barrels of.
Hah Alpy, your too late. I just brought about 20 gallons of used oil to the City recycle tanks. Some of it actually looked pretty clean as I poured it from the 5 gallon containers into the big tank. But;;;; it wasnt all JG oil. Lots of trans oil, fluid, transfer case, diff, etc. from having too many darn vehicles.

PS, you changed your avatar?
Old 06-04-2014 | 01:51 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Motul 5W40, Mahle or Mann filters. Cut them open every time.

Change every 10,000 kilometres or less - never more. (That's 6000 miles or so - makes it easy to tell when I need an oil change.

Engine was changed after 40,000 miles with big bearing motor - so no LNS for me. Then again I have yet to see proof that big IMS bearings fail.

The car has 210,000 kilometres, with 140,000 on the new engine, 70,000 of which are my kilometres - all on Motul.

Quick Reply: Best Oil for 996