Sponsored by:

Oil Changes

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 01:43 PM
JohnCK2014
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

macster,

Great answer and thanks. I tend to think that people change their oils more frequently than necessary. It is not 1966 anymore and oils and engines are just a lot better than they were when 3,000 miles was the standard.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:37 PM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Higher heat exposure and increased fuel/oil mix even in healthy engines, according to what I've heard. Oil with fuel in it doesn't lubricate as well. After every track day is a little excessive in my opinion, unless you're running a turbo car that's washing down the cylinder walls with fuel. If you are, you should likely fix that.
Oil temperature runs hotter with high RPM - for example - at the track. Heat will accelerate the breakdown of the bonds between the hydrocarbon chains in the oil & breakdown/boil off the additives - and eventually reduce viscosity and shear strength. OEMs do accelerated life tests by running the engine at high RPM for a continued period of time. A few 20 min track sessions will probably not make that much difference - but as Macster says - oil change is cheap insurance - my point was that for normal users M1 is just fine - but I also acknowledge the point that extreme users - might prefer oil with higher HTHS, VI, FP, ZDDP etc.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/oilshear.htm

Quick Reply: Oil Changes