Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Springtime: Wheel and Window problems....

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 10:28 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Springtime: Wheel and Window problems....

Gents,

I have a few issues since I pulled the 996 out of the garage this Spring...

1. My passenger window does not retract when pulling on the handle to open to door. The central locking light on the dashboard illuminates too. This issue is intermittent. I was thinking of replacing the micro switch behind the handle but I wanted to consult with the forum first.

2. I just noticed a squeaking noise coming from my driver's front wheel. This noise occurs at low speed while ONLY turning left. The sound is harmonized with the rotation of my wheel. My initial thought was a wheel bearing but I do not want to dismiss any suspension or brake components. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

My guesses would be window regulator and wheel bearing.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:24 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Dennis,

The window retracts no problem when using the switch. Its the door handle that drops the window down an inch or so to drop out of the rubber groove at the top of the door.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

It could be a micro switch in the door handle. However, one if the signs of a failing window regulator is just what you describe. The cables in the regulator mechanism stretch out over time. When you pull the door handle, the motor tries to lower the window but all it does is take up the slack in the cables. If you can manually push the glass down, then it's probably the regulator. If the glass won't move, then a micro switch is more likely the issue.

When you pull the handle, do you hear the motor try to lower the window? Are the symptoms the same with the inside and the outside door handle?

The regulator mechanism in the 996 is a fairly common failure. Both of mine have been replaced, and I think my driver's side regulator is failing again.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:01 PM
RPMulli
Banned

yes, the same symptoms with the outside passenger handle... the motor doesn't try to move.. typically the Red Indicator light on the center console lets me know that there is a fault with the central locking system (i.e. the window microswitch). I wasn't sure if it was something related to the ignition switch since it was intermittent. I know how the ignition switch can do strange things with the car's electrical system.

Quick Reply: Springtime: Wheel and Window problems....