Sponsored by:

Clutch pedal went soft and couldn't put it into any gears - 2003 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:41 PM
sammyf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
Really? Racing Set-Up on a Stock 3.6L N/A? That would be some Retarted fellow, but I know a few
Out of curiosity, how many miles do you have on your 996? Do you drive in a lot of stop and go traffic which requires you to depress the clutch a lot? Or any hard launches?

Last edited by sammyf; 04-29-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:25 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I got the clutch kit off of ebay for $500+tax (sachs) which is the same as OEM or it is OEM (so I was told) did the labor myself and paid $80 for resurfacing of the flywheel as I had some burn marks on it and also did RMS only at the same time. All together it was around $700 as I recall.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:49 AM
Arne Klinge
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by Topaz330ci
I had the same clutch noise before and it eventually just went away.
You commented on my thread with the horrible noise I got fixed.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...5-minutes.html

Maybe these are related, as the solution to my horrible noise was the incorrect assembly of the release arm, and it had not been greased properly when changed.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:12 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by sammyf
Out of curiosity, how many miles do you have on your 996? Do you drive in a lot of stop and go traffic which requires you to depress the clutch a lot? Or any hard launches?
My car has 04 C4S 197,500km. It is a Daily Driver, Winter Beater and Track ***** and is in the process of getting a new engine
Old 04-30-2014, 12:39 PM
sammyf
Advanced

Sorry, I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or serious anymore :-0
Old 04-30-2014, 12:50 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

So I decided to take it to my Indy. I'll be dropping it off Sunday night and they'll be working on it during the week. Porsche Ottawa were booked until June 3rd lol. Although they said to drop it off and they can work on it if they free up. I wasn't going to take the risk of not having it for a month, and it kicking around in a parking lot with tons of clients swinging doors beside it.

I have a really good indy, and this way I'll save $800 if the flywheel just needs surfacing/machining.

I'll be getting the RMS and IMS looked at and most likely going to get the RMS done since it's right there.

I'm sure I could of purchased the Sachs clutch kit online and saved $100, but that's alright...

Now... the shop is about a 25 min highway ride, I could flatbed it using a friends CAA, and offer him some cash of course, or I can take it late late Sunday night and drive in 2nd up until the highway on-ramp, stop and shut the car off, put it in 3rd, and let it catch speed on the on-ramp and drive in 3rd all the way to the off-ramp, stop and repeat steps to get it in 2nd and drive the car that way to the shop...

Life's problems eh...
Old 04-30-2014, 01:02 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sammyf
Sorry, I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or serious anymore :-0
think what you want, I gave you Facts
Old 05-05-2014, 04:37 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Update - It was the pressure plate that failed. Flywheel will be machined/resurfaced. RMS was slightly leaking so that will be changed. IMS looked good and since it's a "newer" engine, I will leave it as is.

One thing that surprised me was that the mechanic noticed a "rubber part" which was starting to crack that he suggested I replace. He mentioned it is a $500 part... Does anyone know which he is referring to?

I find it really ashame that a car at this pricepoint has this many weaknesses. Slightly dissapointed actually.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:04 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Topaz330ci
One thing that surprised me was that the mechanic noticed a "rubber part" which was starting to crack that he suggested I replace. He mentioned it is a $500 part... Does anyone know which he is referring to?
Is he talking about the Rubber Coupling for the AWD Driveshaft? Mine was cracked too, didnt bother changing it. Anyone have Part#?
Old 05-05-2014, 05:10 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zookie
Is he talking about the Rubber Coupling for the AWD Driveshaft? Mine was cracked too, didnt bother changing it. Anyone have Part#?
Might be. It would be a part that would require splitting the trans/motor since he mentioned "Since we are in here, might as well".

So if the rubber coupling can be replaced without splitting the trans/motor then I doubt it's the same part.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:29 PM
sammyf
Advanced

My hats off to Zookie for identifying the problem over the internet...

Topaz, are you the original owner? Do you drive it hard? How many miles? I am still surprised the PP failed (not so much in Zookie's case because of his duty cycle)? I could see maybe with a few hard launches, coupled with the AWD traction might be quite stressful on the PP?
Old 05-06-2014, 11:11 AM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

I am the 3rd owner. First owner was a owner of a VW dealer in California and didn't drive it for long until selling it to his friend, I then bought it off him (millionaire).

There was a new Porsche motor installed (warranty) in late 2005 due to scored cylinders. Also, when I bought the vehicle 4 years ago there was a new clutch kit installed so I thought I was golden in that sense (new engine, new clutch). I have full service docs on the car. It currently sits at 96 kilometers. I bought it at about 50 Kilometers.

I've been driving standard cars all my life and I'm VERY meticulous about the way I shift. I drive this car like every Porsche owner should, harder at times but never track-hard. I open it up a bit here and there (Italian tune-up) and I know that these cars need to be driven properly. I don't do much stop and go either. I feel like this was just a odd fluke of it failing... I can't explain it any other way. The clutch itself was hardly even worn out. The Flywheel was in top shape as well.

I love the car to death, but just by looking at the occurrences of problems, it’s a disappointment. I haven’t had a single problem with the car until this incident though and I admit that, but If I bought new, it would’ve been a different story.

I am debating on selling it after I fix the clutch (which will be tomorrow).... Someone will be getting a really well sorted car with a solid engine and brand new clutch kit car. Ideally it would be an optimal time to sell. Still debating though. I’m trying to get into a 2009 Vantage next but the selection in Canada is a little on the weak side thus I’d preferably like to go to the U.S for my purchase. The problem is the CAD is sitting very low and the conversion rate will be a big factor.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal went soft and couldn't put it into any gears - 2003 C4S