Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

OBD II Code Reader Recommendation?

Old 05-09-2014, 01:30 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Cuda, not sure if you mentioned it before but how many miles are on your aftermarket cats?
Old 05-09-2014, 01:39 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

About 5,000 mile or so. They were installed last year, I think around July. They should be under warranty, so I'm not worrying much. Yet. If Fabspeed doesn't stand behind their product, I will raise holy hell like holy hell has never been raised.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:48 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
About 5,000 mile or so. They were installed last year, I think around July. They should be under warranty, so I'm not worrying much. Yet. If Fabspeed doesn't stand behind their product, I will raise holy hell like holy hell has never been raised.
Barring any precat exhaust leak, they should be convinced if you show them the P04xx error codes, the failed mode 6 tests, and the readiness tests that show O2 sensor test has passed. Also tell them it can't be the O2 sensors as they will have their own codes. It would be even better if you can show the O2 sensor plots when engine is idling. That will clearly show the O2 sensors are operating correctly.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:45 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Also, I installed all four brand new O2 sensors when I installed the cats. I have receipts for all of the work.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:38 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

OK, reran the test and graphed the voltages. Test results were the same as originally (It says refreshing 3%, but that's the third refresh):
Attached Images     
Old 05-09-2014, 03:52 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Um, I think you picked the wrong PIDs to graph. Check post #26 again. I picked "02 Volts Bank 1 sensor 1", "O2 Volts Bank 1 sensor 2" and so on. The reading should be between 0 and 1 at all times. The pids you picked are wrong amd the reading of 33.5 is not real, just an artifact of the app. Most likely those pids don't exist so they have values of 0.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:05 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Gotcha... there were quite a few sensor choices, wasn't sure if I picked the right one.

I picked the one called "O2 Sensor wide-range voltage". You are 100% right, it's an artifact, because I just now looked at it in my living room, not connected to the car, and it ran that same graph.

I just now watched a few You Tube videos. Looks like this little adapter and Torque Pro can provide a ton of info, There are some plug-ins that look pretty good for the app too, like track recording.

I gots me some learnin' to do.

Hey, at least I can do a proper screen capture now!
Old 05-09-2014, 04:22 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

the little adaptor is a no brainer if you use android phone.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:43 AM
alpine003
Banned

Gonna take out all my gauges out of my cluster, hvac control, and radio and install a phone dock in my cluster. I'll have Siri translate my voice commands to the various controls. Then I'll write a plugin that will let BT w/md5 algorithm control my alarm and door lock/arm via proximity sensor. Unfortunately, only a pipe dream for me as I'm married w/kids. it would be pretty cool though.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:11 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alpine003
Gonna take out all my gauges out of my cluster, hvac control, and radio and install a phone dock in my cluster. I'll have Siri translate my voice commands to the various controls. Then I'll write a plugin that will let BT w/md5 algorithm control my alarm and door lock/arm via proximity sensor. Unfortunately, only a pipe dream for me as I'm married w/kids. it would be pretty cool though.
Or you can lower your goal by writing an ims post filter or better yet train Siri on ims so ppl will go ask Siri instead of posting here
Old 05-09-2014, 02:35 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Or you can lower your goal by writing an ims post filter or better yet train Siri on ims so ppl will go ask Siri instead of posting here
Actually there are several php script examples that you can run for the vBulletin forum system that will look for threads that have a restricted word(ie: IMS) and automatically move them to another forum or area. Question is if the moderators or site owner is willing to use these or implement them here.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:07 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Update 5/9/2014:

Took the car to the shop today. We decided to just clear the error codes again and keep an eye on it. At least now it's documented at the shop. We may be bugging Fabspeed for replacement cats the next time the error code pops up.

Ahsai, great recommendation on that OBDII tool. Thanks! As you stated in an earlier post, it is a very powerful tool when paired with the Torque Pro app. I was apprehensive about buying a diagnostic tool that didn't have any display attached, but this one turns out to be much better than the minimal displays on typical OBDII readers. Not like the good ol' days of counting flash codes.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:18 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Update 5/9/2014:

Took the car to the shop today. We decided to just clear the error codes again and keep an eye on it. At least now it's documented at the shop. We may be bugging Fabspeed for replacement cats the next time the error code pops up.

Ahsai, great recommendation on that OBDII tool. Thanks! As you stated in an earlier post, it is a very powerful tool when paired with the Torque Pro app. I was apprehensive about buying a diagnostic tool that didn't have any display attached, but this one turns out to be much better than the minimal displays on typical OBDII readers. Not like the good ol' days of counting flash codes.
Anytime! Glad you like it. It can do a lot other diagnostic if you know what to look for and how to use it e.g., it can be used to diagnose battery/charging system, SAI system, MAF sensor, etc.

Also it's super handy and easy to use. Just plug it in and fire up the app and you can check your o2 sensor graphs immediately. Try to do that with Durametric I have Durametric as well which has its own capability but for your case this time, the Torque app is better.

Based on your mode 6 reading, it shouldn't take too long before the CEL came back on, maybe a few wks...

The configurable display is definitely nicer than those LCD stand-alone readers. Smartphones are just amazing nowadays.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:14 PM
BTERRY1
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Well after waiting weeks for my ELM 327 to arrive it shows only to be a bunk unit from what I can tell. Can't get it to pair with my bluetooth. Arg.........
Old 08-11-2014, 11:30 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BTERRY1
Well after waiting weeks for my ELM 327 to arrive it shows only to be a bunk unit from what I can tell. Can't get it to pair with my bluetooth. Arg.........
What device are you connecting to? Apple doesn't work with the BT protocol of the ELM 32, you need the wifi unit with an iPhone or iPad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OBD II Code Reader Recommendation?