Sponsored by:

Worn leather on driver seat?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 08:49 AM
KWC4S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Worn leather on driver seat?????

I thought I'd seen a thread on premature leather wear on the seats. My C4S with sport seats is less than 2 months old, I don't wear jeans often and I get into the car very carefully, but the outer side bolters seam is already rubbing through the leather. ahhhhhhhhhhh

How many of you have experienced this and what did you dealer do?
Old 07-31-2003, 11:53 AM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

Hmm...you have a few options and even "opportunities" here. If your car is truly so young, you should be able to go into the service dept and show them what the problem is. They may balk at first, but if you persist, they will eventually replace the seat, or at least the leather.

But that raises another question. If all Porsche leather is essentially the same, why would your specific hide have problems? It is possible that it could be a bad hide, but I strongly doubt it. A more reasonable thing to assume is that there is something on your butt/backside that is doing this to the seat. Perhaps an exposed button on your back pocket, or a phone clipped to your belt...

Nonetheless - this is a great excuse to pony up the cash for some GT3 seats!! Yeah!

Old 07-31-2003, 12:49 PM
KWC4S
Instructor

it's only worn on the outside of the side seam where it can only be rubbing during exit and entry. i've read about people having this problem on this board so from the time i got the car i try to make sure i don't rub my pants against the side bolsters getting in and out. i can only imagine what the leather elsewhere is going to look like in 5 - 10 years if it's all this cheapo.

i will definitely hold my ground with the dealer, but i'd like responses from people that have any wear at all on a car that shouldn't have it...YET.

thanks in advance...
Old 07-31-2003, 02:27 PM
BostonMarkC
Racer

You don't have the optional supple leather, do you?

I hope not, since I do. Mine looks new after 10K miles. I hope you can get your taken care of soon!
Old 07-31-2003, 05:20 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Leather on Porsches is definitely not "cheapo". I took a factory tour last summer and they were stressing the quality of the leather.
In fact they said they get first pick at the leather and send the rest to the "other auto manufacturer in Stuttgart"
Old 07-31-2003, 05:25 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

I have had mine for 3.5 years and 42,000 miles. And I am, shall we say......... "large".

I have the supple leather, they look new, but they are not sport seats so they don't have the larger bolster, still..........

Something does not sound right..........
Old 07-31-2003, 06:02 PM
TurboMark
Pro

It is interesting though ... some 996s with 45K miles look like they have brand new seats and some with 20K miles look worn out on the drivers side.

I dont know about the quality, but normal wear aside, I dont understand why some of the leather 'wrinkles' more than others
Old 08-01-2003, 01:01 AM
safetywork
Instructor

I have the sports seats on my '99 with 65k miles and mine are worn (as I think it should). The wear is on the side nearest the driver's door, the other side looks fine. Planning to replace both the driver's and passenger seats in the future. But still have other upgrades that take priority..... let's see how long this Porsche will last.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:58 AM
Spizz Oil
Instructor

Yes - have noticed in other 996s that bad wear. (mine is ok.) However, I previously had a 1986 911 3.2, and I am sure that the quality of the leather was far better.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:58 PM
tv
Drifting

Received 247 Likes on 123 Posts

just lurking over here from the 928 forum. Hello gretch. The leather in my 85 is still in excellent condition and makes the greatest sound as you move over it. Sounds like something is wrong with ours.
Tom

Old 08-03-2003, 04:37 PM
KWC4S
Instructor

Nope, i don't have the supple leather, but do have the sport seats. I've never seen leather so fragile. I can take my finger nail and easilly scratch across the edge of the leather and it will tear the top layer off...
Old 08-03-2003, 04:45 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Something is definitley wrong.
Go to the dealer, look at the cars over there, run your fingernail through their leather, the show them yours. I think you'll get new seats.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:13 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Lifting the top layer of the leather off with a fingernail? I have to agree with Leon. Something is definitely wrong with your leather. I use my car daily, wear jeans with rivets on the back pockets when I go to the track, have gotten the outside edge soaking wet coming in from a downpour, and the leather is pristine. Check everywhere else that you have leather, as you may have gotten a bad batch. Hopefully it's just the seat, and only the drivers seat. That should be replaced under warrantee as a factory fault.

Just curious. What, if any, leather protectant/conditioner/cleaners have you used? I have heard that some may actually do damage.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:16 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Perhaps you should switch to wearing jeans more often.....
Old 08-03-2003, 07:09 PM
KWC4S
Instructor

palting, i haven't put any conditioner on it yet. i put some conditioner (McGuires) on the drivers side arm rest because it was looking a little discolored..i guess from body oils. i've avoided the conditioner because i wasn't sure if i could keep the new flat look that it has after using a conditioner.

thanks for the replies...

Quick Reply: Worn leather on driver seat?????