Sponsored by:

Buying my first 996 - Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 10:19 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,926 Likes on 2,914 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunabe1
So I've come across an exceptionally clean 1999 US spec 996 here in Germany (stationed here with USAF). The car only has 27K miles with no RMS/IMS issues/work being done. It is a base Carrera model and has been well cared resulting in its present condition. Clean CARFAX (up to 2010 when it came "home") and I will be bringing it to the local Porsche dealer for a PPI. At 15 years old should the RMS/IMS issues have surfaced by now or due to the low miles could they still be possibilities? How does the age/low miles relate to scheduled services? Should I just go on an oil change interval at certain miles? The price is right but if these issues are around the corner then I may need to re-think. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
when you do the PPI try and be there to watch and discuss - have them cut open the oil filter and look for metal shavings that may be too large - also have them check for intermix in coolant bottle OR in oil - check and make sure it doesn't have too much of a vibration at idle. also see if it has the annoying coupe rattle in the headliner behind drivers head. install new water pump asap
Old 04-02-2014, 01:49 PM
Greg Greenberg
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
wow greg that wasn't even funny - you obviously lack a sense of humor - try again please
APRIL FOOLS!!! Lol is it funny now?
Old 04-02-2014, 04:43 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,926 Likes on 2,914 Posts

incredibly funny damit!

Quick Reply: Buying my first 996 - Advice needed