Sponsored by:

Gundo hack/Fister D

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 08:04 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubik
Guys, just to confirm again, this does not affect the car's ability to pass a "Smog Check", right? How does it impact the peppyness? More peppy I assume since it can breathe better?
Fister D claims no effect on emissions. I didn't notice a performance benefit; only an audible one.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:12 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubik
Guys, just to confirm again, this does not affect the car's ability to pass a "Smog Check", right? How does it impact the peppyness? More peppy I assume since it can breathe better?
You may want to check if this is an issue with CARB as part of their visible modifications rules. I don't know how hardcore they are or how closely they check.

As far as 'peppyness'. It depends on which mod you do - either the third port connected or the cross pipe between input/output pipes. The loudest mod is the cross pipe. At WFO it is really loud. Anything above 3 grand on the tach might be too much for a lot of people. Mine starts up with a 'bark' which is neat and keeping the revs down around my area and short shifting is key. On ramps or highway I could care less as well as at the track. Good thing is there is none of this 'drone' on the highway you get with some aftermarket cans.

There is a slight mid rev range loss in torque in my back of the pants device but seems a little freer above 5K. The third pipe mod seems better at low end from what my friend reports. Everything is a trade off.

The extra pipe mod that a friend has seems to add a nice 'burble' on over run and replicates the factory option with the valve. Its generally the more popular mod and less aggressive sounding. None of these mod's are for performance.

There is no benefit in getting both mod's as the guy who did mine says the owners who insisted on having both pipes installed later came back to see if he could reverse the mod and seal up the holes, (he couldn't). The report to him was that this mod loses torque on low end. His theory (he does a lot of race exhausts) is that the two mod's work against each other and cause flow issues affecting back pressure. He won't do both now - its one or the other.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:58 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good info guys! From the video's I like the sound. It definitely doesn't sound like a Jap ricer which is nice. I like the "burble" so, probably I'll go with Gundo vs. Fister D especially considering that mine is a Cab and I'll probably never track it.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:21 PM
bornrich
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had to smog test my C2 with the Fister mod and had no trouble passing the test visual or otherwise.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:11 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

FD Motorsports is a CA company...
Old 11-13-2014, 03:26 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I've never known any aftermarket muffler to affect emissions. That's the primary role of the catalytic converters.

Quick Reply: Gundo hack/Fister D