996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 05:31 PM
php
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice car, looks good to me. $20k and into a 911, wow! Awesome!
Old 02-14-2014, 08:43 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thought I'd make the most of being in LA so I drove along Mulholland Drive from 405 to 101. Superb!!!
Old 02-14-2014, 08:55 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 462 Likes on 301 Posts

If you're still up there and have time, take any of the other canyon roads that cut over from the coast. A bunch of them! Better than Mulholland by a long shot.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:34 AM
bal
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cuda911
If you're still up there and have time, take any of the other canyon roads that cut over from the coast. A bunch of them! Better than Mulholland by a long shot.
I wish I'd thought of that. Up in the Bay Area now. Oregon tomorrow. Bought some Bosch Icon wipers to put on in preparation for the impending rain...
Old 02-17-2014, 12:49 AM
bal
Burning Brakes

Really glad I put on those new wipers... The heavens opened up around Mt Shasta.

And now I'm back home in Bellevue.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:58 AM
bal
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alpine003
Congrats.
I'm surprised the dealer didn't just replace the motor as that seems to be the normal protocol with most.
I never heard of a dealer just replacing the IMS. Sometimes they say that when in actuality, the IMS Flange is the only thing that they end up replacing.

Care to disclose which dealer did this?
Here are the sections of the service history showing the work done:

First RMS work at 5k

Second RMS work at 35k

IMS work at 47k

Engine rebuild at 50k

Old 02-17-2014, 01:32 AM
TSMacNeil
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the Lapis
Old 02-17-2014, 01:43 AM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like they just replaced the IMS seal. Had a moment of joy when I was researching my car, dealer who serviced it originally said they replaced the IMS at 50k miles. After some talk on the forums, someone told me the dealers won't typically replace the IMS bearings. Called back and confirmed they just replaced the IMS seal, so I guess I'm on original IMS at 82k miles. Gunna wait it out and replace when I do the clutch.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:07 AM
bal
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CJWessing
Looks like they just replaced the IMS seal. Had a moment of joy when I was researching my car, dealer who serviced it originally said they replaced the IMS at 50k miles. After some talk on the forums, someone told me the dealers won't typically replace the IMS bearings. Called back and confirmed they just replaced the IMS seal, so I guess I'm on original IMS at 82k miles. Gunna wait it out and replace when I do the clutch.
I'll double check with the dealer as well. Given that the oil filter was clean I'll wait until the clutch needs doing too.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:33 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

Had the car checked out by Chris and Chris' German Auto in Bellevue, WA (well respected local indy.) He plugged in his Autologic tester and determined no type 2 overrevs and that the engine, fuel and emissions parameters were nominal. There is an available firmware update for the ECU so I'll get that done at some point.

The test drive was uneventful. There is some vibration from the back at high speeds, which we think might be balancing. I will check the alignment next week.

I replaced a burned out dome light and a parking light and placed an order for a new wind deflector, cabin air filter, serpentine belt and some miscellaneous bits. At some point I'll get a quote for repainting the front end (hood, bumper cover and fenders) and also for a new aftermarket cabriolet top.

Here's another picture after a good wash.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:48 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

Update on the vibration. I took the car to Truline in Bellevue who are very well respected locally. They found that the rear wheels are out of true radially. The left one is quite noticeable, the right one very slightly. They have an independent wheel person who will sort out the left one for $150 ($270 including fixing the curb rash.) once that's done, they'll balance sand check the alignment. I'm leaving the right one alone for now though I'll attempt to refinish it myself.

Pete at Truline seems to be fantastic, methodical and patient. Really happy to have found them.

Once I get the car back, it will be radio installation time.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:06 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Sweet looking car! I love that color! Enjoy in good health!
Old 02-28-2014, 01:56 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Would the dealer automatically replace the ims seal when they're replacing the rms?
Old 03-01-2014, 01:58 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

The car is back from Truline. The left rear wheel looks brand new! They did the alignment test and everything was out of whack - I'll post the before and after sheet later. While they were doing that, I also had them adjust the e-brake (which was going to be my first proper DIY but oh well...) All that wasn't cheap but well worth it. If the car felt like it was on rails before, now it feels like it is on Velcro and vibration is gone.

Got my delivery from Vertex yesterday as well, so I started to play. The new cabin air filter is in. I would get OEM next time since this was not the best fit. I replaced the frunk hydraulic struts so I'm not getting sandwiched by the frunk all the time. I replaced the driver's side plastic rosette for the wind deflector and also installed the new wind deflector. The old one was knackered and the new one already feels much sturdier and isn't flopping about.

While I was at it, I opened the cab top halfway and found a bunch of pine needles all over the place so I vacuumed those out. I looked for drains and saw channels but not really drain holes. The PET and Bentley diagrams are cryptic so if anyone has a photo of those, I would love to see it. I cleaned the drains in the front - they were completely blocked. I'm still not convinced that they're all unblocked. I found that removing the battery and battery plate gave me much better access. I had observed a faint fuel smell from the passenger wheel well area so part of the reason for removing the battery was to take a look at the fuel sender, since I have read that the connection between the fuel hose and the sender can leak. Sure enough, the top of the fuel sender was covered with a small amount of fuel I've read some DIYs on this but I don't feel comfortable messing with fuel related items. It's a $280 part and probably a couple of hours of labour, so I'd rather pay someone to do it. Of course if it turns out to be a $1000 repair I may change my mind...

I threw on the spade terminal connectors for my new CTEK charger, so that it is neat install for charging and reconditioning. Then I spent an inordinate amount of time cleaning the driver side door sill. I have the ridiculously expensive aluminium plate that says Carrera and it is attached by three strips of foam tape. Well that foam tape has perished leaving crud. Lots of crud. After a good hour using an adhesive remover and a plastic scraper, I got most of the residue off. Lesson learned: that plate has razor sharp edges but since I'd cleaned it at least the wound was clean!

This weekend's project is radio install time. I will try to put the Bluetooth microphone in the factory position, which means taking the instrument cluster off... I went for this Kenwood receiver since it seems to be relative non-bling. If anyone has tips on how to make the shiny piano black fingerprint magnet surround look matte, I am all ears.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:47 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bal
If anyone has tips on how to make the shiny piano black fingerprint magnet surround look matte, I am all ears.
If you're talking about the radio surround bezel, I found steel wool or 1500 and 2000 grit wet sanding to achieve a good result in the past.

Quick Reply: New owner