Sponsored by:

Suddenly no volume on my CDR23

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 09:53 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by porschedog
Mine (in the C2) went silent a few months ago. Powered up, looked ok, but no sound. I got to work, wondering what this was going to cost. When I got in and powered up to drive home, we had volume, lots and lots of volume. Go figure.

As noted above, my ***** are sticky, too. Anybody have a fix for that?

The GT3 has the same sound system, but unless you crank it all the way up you really can't hear squat over the Mezger yelling "I vant to eat chu" at every Miata we pass.

Hahahahaha.... that's funny. I must admit, when "little sports cars" come up next to me and tend to bite at my heels, I can't help but kick them in their butts with my 996. I also have the sports exhaust option which is loud as hell, but the new Blaupunkt system will easily produce sound far above the engine; however, doing so will probably make you deaf. I even had to turn down the amp because the bass frequencies was driving me insane. I currently have it EQ for a nice jazz type "clean" type setting. Fortunately, the OEM speakers and all wiring was in good shape and so it was just a matter of studying the wiring schematics and connecting it up. If you don't like hard wiring a system, they do make wiring harnesses for purchase.
But as I said before, the reliability of Porsche/Becker systems are too low for my standards and prefer something I can rely on. I have two receivers and an Amp if anyone would like to purchase them. Seriously.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:16 PM
GelberPfeil
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default CDR-23 Problem Update

Originally Posted by GelberPfeil
I just cannot resist adding my own $0.02 to this old thread. I have owned my 03 C2 with Bose Sound CDR-23 for seven years and up until a week ago had never had a problem with it. I was aware of the potential problems described in this thread and the purported fixes.

Well, a week ago I disconnected the battery to do some electrical work and left it off for a couple of days. When I had all the work done, I re-connected the battery. Everything that I had done (nothing associated with the sound system) worked perfectly except that the radio now had no sound. It lighted up, said "PORSCHE", showed response to changing from CD to FM, AM, etc. Just no sound.

So, I can honestly say that I searched this forum and all of the others I could find for solutions and tried each and every one with the exception of installing a new HU or amplifier. Not a one of them worked. In the mean time, I continued to drive my car, locking and unlocking it while still trying to get the sound system to work. No luck until today.

I backed the car out of the garage and washed it. No sound. I left the car in the sun for a couple of hours at about 70 degrees and, on a whim, locked it and then unlocked it by remote just before I was about to drive it back into the garage. As I turned the ignition key on, the radio began to blare! Now it again works perfectly.

What is to be learned from my experience? The fact is, I have no idea. This bothers me a lot because I have always respected Porsche for their high quality engineering and that of their suppliers (Becker in his case). This just lacks a logical explanation.

Sorry about carrying on about this.

OK, problem diagnosed and solved. It turned out to be a failing amplifier. Following a telephone conversation (with Tom), I sent the failed one in to Becker Autosound LLC in NJ. They sent me back a refurbished one and the system now is up and running. Cost me $400 plus shipping, but includes a 3-year warranty and I did not have to go to any of the alternative fixes needed to convert from the MOST system. Pleased to get the sound back (when I am not listening to the exhaust hack sounds).
Old 01-22-2017, 11:10 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Just bought a replacement most amp from another member. Hopefully when it comes it solves my silent problem!
Old 01-22-2017, 04:39 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Let us know how it turns out when you receive it J.
Old 03-26-2022, 01:14 PM
SecondDaily
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I’ll add my “fix” to this issue as well. Like others, had the same problem, no sound from radio after a battery disconnect. Searched and tried all the things minus a replacement. Shop even checked it out and no luck either, everything had power and fuses were fine. Pulled D8 and D9 fuses, nothing. Lock/unlock etc. nothing.

My “fix” was to pull fuses D8 and D9 and leave them out overnight. Radio fairies must have heard the call. Next morning, put the fuses back in and voila … the Smashing Pumpkins live to play another day.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_6746.MOV (9.55 MB, 22 views)
Old 03-26-2022, 01:57 PM
pulpo
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 211 Posts

This happened to me as well. The unit was completely functioning, showing the track time, the radio station, etc, however just no sound coming out of the speakers.

In my case it randomly fixed itself after a few power cycles.
Old 03-26-2022, 02:50 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

"It's not a glitch. It's a feature..."😳

Quick Reply: Suddenly no volume on my CDR23