Sponsored by:

Suddenly no volume on my CDR23

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 12:01 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
As others have noted, the system is sensitive to fuses & connections. Being digital, once the components get confused, it often requires a reboot (turn the car off/turn back on). Switching to the radio, then turning the unit on and off can sometimes revive it without having to shut the car off.

Mine used to have problems on a fairly regular basis. I started turning the radio off before turning the car off. Only turning it back on once the car was running. No more problems.
+1
2003 same problem same "fix."
I found that to reboot quickly I could pull the two sound system fuses. D 8 & 9
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2012, 07:49 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine is also a cdr23 (made by Bekker)
Old 10-05-2012, 02:13 AM
jmai22
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reviving an old thread to see if there was a permanent fix ever found? I have an 03 986S with the exact same problems described here. No volume, but all button works. Or sometimes just 'PORSCHE' is displayed. Pulling fuse D 8-9 for a few min and reinserting fixes it 30% of the time. Annoying and embarrassing with passengers.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:10 AM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a very similar problem and it took the dealer a bit to figure it out - in the end it turned out to be a bad amplifier - costly repair but was covered under 3rd party warranty. Works perfectly now and sounds excellent.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:32 AM
zabuch
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Same thing was,happening to mine,so I will change head unit two a double din,soon
Old 10-05-2012, 10:40 AM
DanDotDan
Pro

Mine displayed similar behavior, but now it's dead. I've got a radio removal tool on order and am planning to buy a replacement unit via Ebay.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:30 AM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silotwo
I had a very similar problem and it took the dealer a bit to figure it out - in the end it turned out to be a bad amplifier - costly repair but was covered under 3rd party warranty. Works perfectly now and sounds excellent.
Adding that the dealer initially replaced the head unit, seemed to be okay but with in a few days the intermittent problem returned.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:51 PM
sanjeev
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default CDR23 intermittent issues - ditto mine, eventually replaced HU and amp

Had same problem with mine (03 C2 w/BOSE). Dealer tried several fixes: replaced cdr23 HU, replaced bose amplifier, replaced MOST fiber optic cable. ALL attempts failed to fix problem for good. Eventually I chalked it up to a peculiar failure mode of the early MOST implementation. Frequency of occurrence also seemed to be correlated with ambient temp, to a degree. I saw the problem more often in fall and spring.

I ultimately swapped out the CDR23 and amp with an aftermarket unit, intending to add ipod, bluetooth, nav features etc. Which I think is a better option than struggling with this "bug" to keep the cdr23 (which doesn't even have an aux in).

For anyone interested, i have the amp (ARC Mini 4) plus bose harness connector available for sale, which makes an easy bolt in replacement without any cutting of factory wiring. Pulling a pair of RCAs into the dash to support a new DD HU is an easy DIY. i also tried a CDR22 as a factory-look HU, which made sense to me for a while - got Aux in, but still no BT or Nav.

Anyway, PM me if anyone is interested. Both the cdr22 and the amp/harness/mounting board are available. (i traded my 03 in recently).

Sanjeev
Old 10-06-2012, 10:52 PM
jeneric996
Instructor

Sanjeev, I basically followed your old posts in Renntech which gave me the courage to change the system without cutting into the factory system.

I used the Alpine pdx-5 5-channel amp and Alpine head unit. Got the factory Bose harness from England and plugged it in.

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2014, 05:50 PM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

same problem here.
for years, my radio volume intermittently was muted, but eventually worked.
now, the radio turns on, but no volume.
changed all the fuses.
porsche dealer tested and couldn't identify which component was the problem.

any ideas besides blindly replacing all the components? (HU, amp, cables)

or if i go aftermarket, what adaptor do I need for an aftermarket HU and amp to work with my Bose / MOST system?
thanks!
Old 02-18-2014, 07:29 PM
mse
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had this same problem sometime ago. I called Becker and they could not give any insight into how to fix the issue. My display would show NO TP then back to whatever mode I had been using, but the radio was frozen until I shut down the car. Very frustrating.

I did some research, because I couldn't believe: a) I was the only one with this problem and b) no one had figured out how to fix it. I came across a post on a boxster forum with a fix that worked for me.

Apparently, the TP Mode had turned on somehow. This mode is used widely in Europe, but not in the US - as the rep I spoke to at Becker told me. Sometimes a radio station will emit a signal that the radio interprets as a TP signal and awaits a message that never arrives.

I found the fix here: http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...3-radio-no-tp/

1. You need to be in CD mode when you turn the CDR-23 on.
2. Immediately after it powers on the display shows PORSCHE, and then the CD information is shown. For a few seconds, there is an additional symbol (actually a small arrow) on the display above the 0 button.
3. Press the 0 button (before the arrow disappears)
4. If you now press TP it will cycle through TP ON, TP MUTE, TP OFF and you make your change. TP OFF should fix the issue.

I followed these directions and that took care of the problem for me...until my battery started going bad and resetting the radio. Since fixing the battery...problem solved.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:55 AM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Exactly the same problem in my 40th, fuse resets made no difference. Sent the head unit and amp to Becker for testing and the report back is that the amp is the culprit, they do a reconditioned one with warranty for $500 which I went for.
I was thinking about going aftermarket, and may still do later, but wanted to be able to put the car back to standard. So just waiting for it to arrive and the MN snow to disappear!!
Old 09-04-2015, 08:22 PM
vogz
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mse
I had this same problem sometime ago. I called Becker and they could not give any insight into how to fix the issue. My display would show NO TP then back to whatever mode I had been using, but the radio was frozen until I shut down the car. Very frustrating.

I did some research, because I couldn't believe: a) I was the only one with this problem and b) no one had figured out how to fix it. I came across a post on a boxster forum with a fix that worked for me.

Apparently, the TP Mode had turned on somehow. This mode is used widely in Europe, but not in the US - as the rep I spoke to at Becker told me. Sometimes a radio station will emit a signal that the radio interprets as a TP signal and awaits a message that never arrives.

I found the fix here: http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...3-radio-no-tp/

1. You need to be in CD mode when you turn the CDR-23 on.
2. Immediately after it powers on the display shows PORSCHE, and then the CD information is shown. For a few seconds, there is an additional symbol (actually a small arrow) on the display above the 0 button.
3. Press the 0 button (before the arrow disappears)
4. If you now press TP it will cycle through TP ON, TP MUTE, TP OFF and you make your change. TP OFF should fix the issue.

I followed these directions and that took care of the problem for me...until my battery started going bad and resetting the radio. Since fixing the battery...problem solved.

Hope this helps.
This worked for me, thanks!!!!
Old 09-04-2015, 11:21 PM
tcc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

So funny that this old thread was revived. My quirk is not quite the same, but strange nonetheless...I can't turn off the unit! Everything works but I can't power it off. Luckily it turns off when car is turned off. So I just leave it on lowest volume because if I do somehow manage to turn it off, I may not be able to turn it back on again. Probably just a bad switch, but not worth it to try to fix.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:55 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The Becker radio is a real POS even with the Bose option. The sticky ***** are a bonus. Always turn it off before you kill engine. I think the voltage drop/spike while starting engine freaks it out.

Quick Reply: Suddenly no volume on my CDR23