Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 01:18 AM
Vasir
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The tale of the $6500 Carrera

So you guys saw my thread earlier:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-question.html

I finally had it flat bedded to the house im remodeling. Put in a new battery so i could roll up the windows and was about to call it a day and go home; and then i told myself i must look at the filter... I dropped the filter, looked at it. No flakes, nothing abnormal. just a somewhat dirty oil filter- as they are after a while.

So I said to myself "you know what? F*** it, im turning it on- I prepared myself for a new motor anyway"

I sat in the seat, rolled the windows down, turned the radio off and talked myself into turning it on.

*start*

engine is just trying hard at this point to start (remember its been sitting for ~10 months).

after 5 seconds of the engine turning over it starts, and i patiently listen for any kind of a rattle.

Nothing. Not a squeek, not a squeel, not a tapping, nothing.

But then something happened. It sounded like it has a leak somewhere, at idle the rpm was irregular. went up and down and when it was really low, it rattled. but thats just because the rpm is super low. - This ill be looking into.

After 2 minutes of me listening to it, I get inside again, rev it a little bit an take it for a spin. So far mileage logged: 5 miles.

To be continued.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:37 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 446 Likes on 288 Posts

Ah, interesting. No sign yet of the death rattle that made the previous owner park it for good.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:40 AM
Vasir
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Ah, interesting. No sign yet of the death rattle that made the previous owner park it for good.
Nope..

Ill be going through the car with a fine tooth comb, just short of taking the trans down and staring at the IMS, but I think if I havent jynxed myself- if i just change the fluids, belt etc, and continue changing the filter in 50 mile increments and dissect each one for 1k miles- or till i get sick of it, whichever comes first, it should be fine.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:46 AM
pcst
Racer

Oh wow,,, you should change the engine oil first thing in the morning tomorrow before you restart that car again.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:40 AM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vasir
Nope..

Ill be going through the car with a fine tooth comb, just short of taking the trans down and staring at the IMS, but I think if I havent jynxed myself- if i just change the fluids, belt etc, and continue changing the filter in 50 mile increments and dissect each one for 1k miles- or till i get sick of it, whichever comes first, it should be fine.
If there is something major amiss you should know with the first filter inspection. Good luck
Old 02-01-2014, 10:40 AM
TSMacNeil
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Change the oil and install a magnetic drain plug. Look for massive vacuum leaks in the intake system or coolant temperature sensor fail causing the funky idle. Clean the throttle body lip with some cleaner, inspect the MAF for badness.
You may get lucky.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:27 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

In addition to the visual check, send in an oil sample to Blackstone for the stuff that the naked eye can't detect and to give you a sense of if the PO put it away wet or really wet.

I'm pretty surprised that you didn't encounter any lifter noise after sitting 10 months. This could be somewhat of an indicator that the PO used a quality oil and changed it regularly but merely speculating.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:34 PM
Vasir
Instructor

I took the car out for a spin this morning. You have to understand, Im a merc guy. Im on my 5th SL, and 3rd w140, and somewhat (really) used to the boat like feel. A few years back i would attend track days and what not when my friends would go and id take the clk55 or g35 coupe (shhh)... anyway on with the story.

This car drives like its on rails. Im sure i looked like the biggest idiot/douche on the planet zipping around. The plan was to go to the store next to my house, after block or two of driving, I changed my mind and went to one 4 miles away.

Moi, je regrete rien on this purchase, even if it was catastrophic.

Originally Posted by BAD.TAG
If there is something major amiss you should know with the first filter inspection. Good luck
Yep, nothing. There was a metalic something or other there, but upon further inspection, it was just a thread of some sort that was part of the filter. weird.

Originally Posted by TSMacNeil
Change the oil and install a magnetic drain plug. Look for massive vacuum leaks in the intake system or coolant temperature sensor fail causing the funky idle. Clean the throttle body lip with some cleaner, inspect the MAF for badness.
You may get lucky.
Plug on order, and CSI rated inspection to happen today.

Originally Posted by alpine003
In addition to the visual check, send in an oil sample to Blackstone for the stuff that the naked eye can't detect and to give you a sense of if the PO put it away wet or really wet.

I'm pretty surprised that you didn't encounter any lifter noise after sitting 10 months. This could be somewhat of an indicator that the PO used a quality oil and changed it regularly but merely speculating.
Not a bad idea, may as well! Ill do it. The PO did have the oil changed religiously with mobil-1... Maybe theres a correlation?

Originally Posted by pcst
Oh wow,,, you should change the engine oil first thing in the morning tomorrow before you restart that car again.
Rolling the dice on this one
Old 02-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Adker
Racer

If it continues to idle low, clean/replace the idle controller. A low idle can make an engine sound like it is falling apart. Maybe that is all it is.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Vasir
Instructor

Heard the rattle the PO was talking about. can only hear it at idle and it sounds fairly rythimic- only at idle though. rev it up a tad and the noise goes away, and then when at idle it comes back at random for 10 seconds or so and then its rythimic again. Changing the oil in an hour or so and going from there.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Vasir
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adker
If it continues to idle low, clean/replace the idle controller. A low idle can make an engine sound like it is falling apart. Maybe that is all it is.
!!! thats exactly what it is!

well maybe. Crossing fingers.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:02 PM
Vasir
Instructor

Havent gone to the sifting of the oil yet; some DTCs showed up:

P1316, P1317, P1318, P1319, P1324, P1397.

Also, the rattle... Its more pronounced and even more rythimic at idle- though above 1k rpm, its gone.

I feel like an investigator trying to solve a crime right now- this is pretty fun. waaay more than a non-running engine from the get go.

To be continued...
Old 02-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 446 Likes on 288 Posts

That would be amazing if it's all it was... deal of the day... $6,500 Carrera with a stuck idler!
Old 02-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Adker
Racer

Originally Posted by Vasir
Havent gone to the sifting of the oil yet; some DTCs showed up:

P1316, P1317, P1318, P1319, P1324, P1397.

Looks like misfires.
http://p-car.com/technical/obd2.html...20or%20misfire

Check the cam timing marks at TDC and get some new gas with some Lucas gas cleaner in her and see if this improves things. A good tuneup also in in order. All these are DIY. Always be looking for vacuum leaks with rough idle problems.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:29 PM
speed rII
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

P1397 Camshaft Position Sensor 2 - Signal Implausible, Short to Ground, Short to B+

This could cause the other codes, so start here.

Quick Reply: The tale of the $6500 Carrera