996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Looking for info on this 996

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 07:13 PM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just today three 2002/2003 996's with ~70k miles just popped up here (Los Angeles) on Craigslist in the $17k range. Can't believe how cheap these things are getting. I thought I got a deal on my 2002 with 77k mast may for $19k.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:16 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

@Cuda - I did the same when I looked at an S6 a while ago especially after finding out that it had a new engine! On the solo test drive I found the PO's info in the glove box and called him. To say that he was surprised was an understatement. Had a great conversation and it turned out that the new engine was part of an Audi recall that replaced a number of the V10 units...

Well I checked out the 911 today but I didn't get to drive it because the dealer thought that the engine was too noisy at idle. He thought it was missing. I thought it might be the idle adjustment. Anyway, I'll take another look when they're happy with it. Given that it has no history and has had 4 owners, I'm thinking that it is a pass.

I did look at this early 2003 996 C4 complete with hard top and full leather. It apparently has just had a new clutch and rear struts "at a cost of $4k". I asked about IMS/RMS but nothing is known. It is a local car (looks like one or two owners). Puff of smoke from the left exhaust pipe when started from cold but sounded good and drove well. I did not get a chance to check the state of the cabriolet top but if I go back to take another look. I love that it has the full leather interior but I am not sold on the black exterior color...
Old 02-01-2014, 07:24 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CJWessing
Just today three 2002/2003 996's with ~70k miles just popped up here (Los Angeles) on Craigslist in the $17k range. Can't believe how cheap these things are getting. I thought I got a deal on my 2002 with 77k mast may for $19k.
Like this one? http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...314003646.html
You seem to have more down there. Looking at NADA and KBB it seems to be priced well under market, which makes me wonder "why".
Old 02-01-2014, 08:19 PM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup, that's one of them. I would think a 2003 cab with 71k miles should be in the $25k range...
Old 02-06-2014, 02:11 AM
bal
Burning Brakes

Yesterday I drove the 2002 that I couldn't drive on Saturday due to rough idling/misfiring. It drove nicely but here's what I was told happened and I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on the explanation:

"The cold weather contributed to a low voltage output from the battery which tripped a coil pack into a misfire.
The tech swapped the coil packs and plugs, charged the battery, and clear the codes. The car runs perfectly and the issue has not returned in 5 or 6 restarts.
The car was road tested and driving correctly."
Old 02-06-2014, 03:29 AM
silvergray951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
Personally, I disagree. Park Place always has the highest priced cars in the area. Granted, they tend to also have the nicest examples of any given car you're going to find in the area, so sometimes they will command the higher price.
I have to agree with Capt. on this - their cars are priced quite a bit higher than comparable cars in the area, however quality might not always be as good as you would expect, so be cautious. An example - a C4S I noticed:
http://www.parkplaceltd.com/used-car...tual_~Year_/22

Here is the same car for sale, probably by the PO (?) for $10k less:
http://www.trucks2cars.com/car-detai...046089022.html
Apparently it did not sell for that amount given that Park Place bought it at auction (BMW Seattle sold a very similar car a week ago for $28k). The PO mentions a small ding on the passenger door but no mention in the Park Place ad - I suppose they might have fixed this? Also if you look at the pics carefully, you can see a mix of Hankook and Riken tires ... I'd have expected a matching set of new Michelin Pilot Sport tires given the premium price...

Cheers,
Michael
Old 02-06-2014, 10:38 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default IMHO-even prior owners dodge the hard questions

IMHO, there's a belief (myth?) in used car circles that prior owners are a more reliable source of info. than the selling party. Maybe yes, maybe no. Some prior owners are loath to say anything bad about their former cars, lest it reflect on them personally.

The only "real deal" on car history are detailed maintenance records+receipts+PPI.

relinuca
Old 02-06-2014, 10:40 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Tires IMO are one of the most easiest giveaways on the amount of care and passion the current owners/dealers have. Mixed match tires are a no no when selling a car like this, let alone a super cheap brand like Riken.

Quick Reply: Looking for info on this 996