Sponsored by:

How to torque LNE IMS nut

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 10:29 PM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to torque LNE IMS nut

The LNE IMS bearing has a 12 point 11mm nut instead of the factory 13mm nut therefore the Porshe special tool I purchased to torque the nut will not work.

I have not found any commercially available torque wrench adapter that is suitable to reach the nut recessed within the IMS flange. I don't know why they couldn't source a 13mm nut instead of a 11mm.

Anyway, so how has everyone who has installed the LNE IMS torqued the center nut while holding the stud stationary with a screwdriver? What kind of torque wrench adapter did you use and where did you get it?

Last edited by sandersd; 12-26-2013 at 10:45 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-27-2013, 02:00 PM
sandersd
Pro

For the record: Snugly tightening the nut first with a box-end wrench and screwdriver will prevent the stud from turning when you torque the nut with your torque wrench.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:02 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Sanders, why arent you posting up more pics of your work? How did the bearing look? Clutch, flywheel, etc? Doing anything else?
Old 12-27-2013, 02:42 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

The fastener in question is referred to as a "jet nut" and is an aerospace quality, completely flat based nut thats far superior to anything from the factory.

No special sockets or adaptors are necessary, just a 12 pt 11mm or even a 7/16" box end wrench or socket will fit just fine.

Out of near 13,000 installs we've never had a complaint about this nut. We've used this same nut from IMSR Prototype 001 that I installed years ago and we haven't ever considered using anything else.
The following users liked this post:
brad-cam (07-06-2021)
Old 12-28-2013, 10:58 AM
sandersd
Pro

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Hey Sanders, why arent you posting up more pics of your work? How did the bearing look? Clutch, flywheel, etc? Doing anything else?
The bearing was fine. I started putting everything back together but it's been apart so long I forgot where a lot of the little parts came from, so I have to search for a pic online to remind myself.

Yesterday I installed the IMS bearing, RMS, replaced the o-rings on the tensioners, re-installed the AC and throttle body, damaged the PS pulley and had to order a new one, and found a strange looking sensor lying loose and tucked behind some wiring - no telling how long that's been there. I certainly didn't remove it. It has a plug so there must be a wire somewhere.

Today I'll install the cam plugs, clutch and flywheel, air injection pump and other miscellaneous parts on the south end, then install the transmission and new slave cylinder.

Hopefully I won't have any parts left over.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:04 AM
sandersd
Pro

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The fastener in question is referred to as a "jet nut" and is an aerospace quality, completely flat based nut thats far superior to anything from the factory.

No special sockets or adaptors are necessary, just a 12 pt 11mm or even a 7/16" box end wrench or socket will fit just fine.

Out of near 13,000 installs we've never had a complaint about this nut. We've used this same nut from IMSR Prototype 001 that I installed years ago and we haven't ever considered using anything else.
I'm sure it's a great nut.

Quick Reply: How to torque LNE IMS nut