996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Quick question on IMS cam lock

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 05:20 PM
boatbuilder
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using LN tool kit I made a 2nd tool using aluminum plate for bank 4-6.LN engineering talks about removing 3 rd tensioner if needed and Pelican 101 projects has you remove all three. 101 projects has you install 3 set screws by rotating shaft off of TDC I spoke to Pelican guy who says instructions not right I can get 2 set screws in at TDC this will also tie down shaft. Page 78 of 101 projects calls for tensioners to lok same with 32 mm head my third appears to be about 5/8 hex female which is below AC compressor and says nudge out of way. removed 2 bolts do I also remove brackets is this necessary?
Old 12-29-2013, 05:00 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

The difference is one set of directions were written by the people who developed the procedure and have personally carried it out more than 300 times.

Locking the shaft works decent IF you don't have chain wrap concerns or don't have any stretched chains or lazy tensioners. Knowing what I know about these engines I'd never just lock the shaft, and I know what happened the one the that I did.

Your third tensioner looks different because you have a 3 chain engine, and the 101 book doesn't go over the differences in 3 and 5 chain engines specifically. All 3 chain engines utilize a 14mm internal hex for their tensioner.

The reason why the 3rd tensioner removal isn't required is because it is opposite the IMSB and has proven not to exert any mechanical force on the unit. This knowledge was acquired from direct experience having developed all the tools and the procedure first hand.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:11 AM
CarPlebs
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everybody! What is not clear to me, do the cams need to be locked in otder to take out the ims flange and replace the seal?
Old 04-09-2021, 09:05 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,412 Likes on 1,785 Posts

YES, 100% YES. Just trying to be clear. U also need to pin the crank pulley and pull all 3 chain tensioners.

Visit LN Engineerjngs web site and look up the proceedure for replacing the imsb. This will spell out what u have to do.

Quick Reply: Quick question on IMS cam lock