996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Headlight covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 11:40 AM
Back-n-Black
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oooppps....That should be $430 not $450.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:07 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,234 Likes on 754 Posts

I bought mine off of ebay, and could not determine the manufacturer's origin. I did a search on the internet and the only place I found ones that looked like the ones I have were on the site I posted. I emailed the guy and he would not tell me who manufactured them.

In any event, while they were a bit delicate, per my painter, they fit like a custome made glove and, once prepped right, took paint very well.

I have yet to see the 3 opening version on any other car, and as I said earlier, I am very happy with them.

and BTW I only paid $147.50 for them, (plus painting)

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Eyesfront2.jpg

Last edited by Gretch; 07-22-2003 at 05:08 AM.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:23 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Ash, the only thing I can think of with double-sided tape is the integrity of the seal might not be as good as the glue.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:57 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

here they are......great price too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38661

see a picture of them installed on my 2000 C4 in my post above.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:09 AM
Back-n-Black
Instructor

Those headlight covers on Ebay are made from polyurethane. I'm not sure about the composition of the TechArt or Strosek covers. However as I wrote in an earlier posting, my bodyshop guy said the ones he inspected were of very poor quality. He recommended the TechArt covers to me. Yes they are pricey, but TechArt generally supplies a quality product.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:35 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

you clearly feel strong about your views here, which you have repeated twice now. I don't have intense feelings on the subject, but want to make sure anyone who might consider these as a good solution has the benefit of knowing that I have them installed, and I like them alot.

Also, the tech art covers I have seen leave a gap between the covers and the body panel such that the rubber seal shows between the two parts. Look at mine, they fit a lot better. Then look at the blue ones on page one of this thread.

Opinions.................

here are some more pictures;

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Eyeleft.jpg

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Eyeright.jpg

Last edited by Gretch; 07-22-2003 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:11 PM
Back-n-Black
Instructor

Gretch, didn't mean to repeat myself, just knocked it off on the keyboard too fast. I'm not stuck on any particular vendor, just trying to find out from people's experiences what's the pros and cons. I also was just trying to provide information I gathered. Your positive experience with that part/vendor is indeed helpful. The gap is an issue that I wasn't aware of; thanks for the info.

I believe Don said he was also quite happy with the Strosek part; not sure of a gap issue there. I guess Sloth should give us some feedback about the fit and quality of the TechArt part also.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:00 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Right, and FWIW, from the pictures, Don's install looks great. AND he is PARTICULAR about that car of his.

Old 07-22-2003, 05:10 PM
996 AERO
Instructor

Gretch,

Are the ones on e-bay the same ones you bought?? They have a "buy it now" price of $89.00 + shipping and insurance. Your pictures look great. The others are good also but I can see what you are talking about with the small gap. Yours look like a perfect fit. Believe me I am not cheap but
to me the $89.00 ones look just as good if not better than the $350.00 or so priced ones. Please, no offense to the folks who bought the techart or stroseks. They all look great. Just my opinion and a personal preference thing..
Old 07-22-2003, 05:16 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The thing I notice about the NRs that Gretch has is that they seem to cover up a portion of the fog light. The Stroseks cover/fit over the headlight washer much better too.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:29 PM
996 AERO
Instructor

Any particular type of glue needed to install them?
Old 07-23-2003, 06:35 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Aero,

I think they are the same ones, and it seems they come up on e-bay periodically, at various prices. I have seen them as high as $250 if my memory serves. Previous comments are some what correct, in that they are thin and have to be handled with care by the painter. However, their thinness is a plus when fitment is considered. They wrap around the light housing edge, and that is why the fit is so perfect. My body shop guy actually slid the light housings out about an inch to install the covers. As I mentioned earlier, he also used double sided tape for the attachment, the tape was quite thin and as a result the covers lay very flat and close to the surface of the housing.

Your body shop guy has to want to do this job right......For what that is worth.....

Also there are two versions of these, one for housings with permanent washers protruding and one for the popups......

I can only tell you that the fit is exceptional, and the pictures I posted do not really do justice to this............
Old 07-23-2003, 09:20 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

FWIW, Strosek's come with their own big tube of waterproof glue/adhesive for their poly covers. I think I have some left somewhere if anyone needs it.

Strosek on their car

Strosek on mine

Quick Reply: Headlight covers