Sponsored by:

Clutch pedal hard again after 5 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 02:37 AM
Arne Klinge
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes sorry for the failed mind read

Thank you for the potential explanations, will take this information and ask the mechanics.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:03 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

In addition, they should also make sure the shifter cables are seated properly on their brackets on the transmission. Otherwise, the cables will flex too much making shifting difficult. Also, check the clutch booster spring on the clutch pedal assembly is not broken.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:49 PM
george996
Racer

Here is my guess as to what is happening. You say that the pedal effort is light when cold but harder when the car warms up. You also mentioned that the shifting effort is easier when the clutch is firmer.

I agree with Ahsai, check the booster spring. Even if it is not broken it may have weakened. I replaced mine and it made a surprising difference.
I think the reason why clutch effort is easier when cold has nothing to do with temperature. Like the other members mentioned, there is probably some air in the clutch hydraulics when the slave cylinder was replaced. When the car sits overnight and you first step on the clutch the air in the hydraulic line compresses until there is enough force to move the pressure plate. The force to compress the air is less than the normal force. So the clutch feels light but does not completely disengage the clutch and that is why the trans is harder to shift. Your synchronizers are working harder due to the drag of the clutch not being disengaged.

After driving for a while, nothing to do with temperature, the air does not expand to the same volume as it does when sitting overnight since there is some residual pressure in the line. It probably takes hours for the air to overcome (expand) the resistance of the viscous fluid especially in the small diameter line. So the clutch feels firmer because the volume of air is smaller and the pressure plate is actuated sooner than when it sits overnight.

I don’t think the creaking noise has anything to do with the change in pedal effort. The reason you notice it when warm is because the pressure plate is moving farther than when cold as I explained above.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:05 AM
Arne Klinge
Rennlist Member

thank you Jasper, Ahsai and George996. I have made a list of things that needs to be checked, I have also called and the Porsche Center and I am getting it to the workshop tomorrow.

Here is the list I've made.

Plan A (the easy ones):
1. Completely drain and exchange the Hydraulic fluid, Pentosin 202
2. Grease the contact point of the slave and the clutch fork arm
3. Check the booster spring, although this will not relieve the sound which is generated from the gearbox

If none of the above resolves the problem I have a plan B.
Plan B:
1. Coat the guide tube on the sliding surface of the release bearing with the paste “Optimol MPO”.
2. Grease the contact point between the release bearing and the release lever with the grease “Olista
Longtime 3EP”
Old 04-24-2014, 02:23 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Arne, the clutch system uses the same brake fluid from the same brake fluid reservoir. Pentosin is only for power steering. Regarding the noise, if it's originated inside the clutch and not from the pedal assembly, they should just do a full bleed on the clutch system first hoping that's it (takes only 10 min or so once car is on the lift). If that doesn't fix it, they will need to remove the gearbox again to check and lube the clutch linkage.

Regarding the stiffness, they should check the booster spring.

They should know where to lube, I hope....
Old 04-24-2014, 02:44 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

I had the same clutch noise before and it eventually just went away.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:25 AM
Arne Klinge
Rennlist Member

I delivered the car to the shop today, drove it hard for 40 minutes prior to provoke the sound. Was successful in reproducing the sound, the mechanic seemed to know what it was after inspecting for a couple of minutes.

He decided to take it as an emergency and shifted all his attention to the car, he said he was to remove the gearbox and inspect. And I was not to pay anything he said. Hope this will fix it and no more expences.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:30 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne Klinge
he said he was to remove the gearbox and inspect. And I was not to pay anything he said.
Wow, what kind of mechanic do you have? Is this warranty work? Removing the tranny is somewhat substantial amount of labor. You sure he's not gonna charge you for a new transmission instead?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:44 AM
Arne Klinge
Rennlist Member

Got my car back yesterday, and after a long hard drive I can report that the horrible sound is gone. The previous mechanic had done a couple of errors when assembling the clutch 5 months ago.

1. Release lever was wrongly assembled so the fallout bearing got pulled slightly to one side when engaging/disengaging the clutch.
2. Forgot to grease the release lever with Olista Longtime 3EP

The sound is gone, and I did not have to pay anything. Very good customer service.

For the record the workshop is the official Porsche dealer in Bergen, Norway. In Norway we have quite a good set of customer rights and serious businesses do value their effort also in goodwill. Then again if I had been given an invoice for 12 000 Kr ($2 000) for the job, I would not be happy, and my experience of Porsche as a whole would be degraded. I guess they have guidelines in such cases to keep you as a customer for future investment.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:57 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent that you got it fixed correctly. You are right, great customer service at your shop! Now you can really enjoy your car when it warms up over there!

2002 Turbo - Basalt Black Metallic / 2003 Carrera 4S - Speed Yellow / 1955 356 Continental 1500 - Rust Red

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal hard again after 5 minutes