Sponsored by:

996 headlight covers opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Nine8Six
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris, see pics below.... look at the little red 986 in the far-far-far back :/

What you need are black'en headlight interiors with one of those projector kit. I can easily picture your black-on-black 996 with this setup. Would look absolutely wicked.

Also, ambered or not believe me they will still give plenty of this modern look you are after. You won't be missing your covers once converted I promise!

PS: you are not going to screw your current set of headlights, can't see how if you follow the oven for 10min @ 200 degree method - many have done it already (Boxster guys). It's only scary to think about opening "Porsche" "anything" but the reality is, a very simple job.

Pics worth a thousand words:

Old 11-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris 996 911
I agree with you as well I love the look of the 996 but I also like to customize my cars it kinda makes mine a little different. I don't think it looks like a 997 I'm trying an all black thing and I thing this kinda works. And like I said I'm going to use Fred's head light mod which in tails painting the inside of the head light I will add pictures of that mod
Customization is great and I think you should make your car look however you want it to look. I think the headlight mod will look great.

I was just providing my opinion.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:16 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Chris, be brave, get what you want done, and then post the pics. I'd love to see the finished product. Good luck !
Old 11-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine8Six
Chris, see pics below.... look at the little red 986 in the far-far-far back :/

What you need are black'en headlight interiors with one of those projector kit. I can easily picture your black-on-black 996 with this setup. Would look absolutely wicked.

Also, ambered or not believe me they will still give plenty of this modern look you are after. You won't be missing your covers once converted I promise!

PS: you are not going to screw your current set of headlights, can't see how if you follow the oven for 10min @ 200 degree method - many have done it already (Boxster guys). It's only scary to think about opening "Porsche" "anything" but the reality is, a very simple job.

Pics worth a thousand words:

That looks cool, great idea!
Old 11-10-2013, 07:46 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

There are only two options that work to reshape the 996 eyes:

1. the mod of opening and painting the insides of the capsule
2. putting on matching tints and cutting out an oval opening for the lights

Plastic covers over these lights look like - well, plastic covers - they stick out way too much and are one of the fugliest mods you can make to a 996... just my opinion...
Old 11-11-2013, 06:05 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts

Customisation is good. Everyone wants something unique that they can connect with. The projector headlight mod would definitely look good I think it would add an aggressive look to the already mean-looking eyes of the 996.

But if the intention was to go for a 997 look - you will be disappointed. From a guy who's wanted the 997 look ever since he bought a 996, I say there are only 2 routes. Do the conversion, or just swap for a 997. I did the latter as the conversion was just dumping too much money into a bottomed-out car.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:43 PM
porsche951
Pro

while I do prefer the oval headlamp in the 997, those look a bit clunky. I wonder if a vinyl wrap would work?
Old 11-11-2013, 06:53 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Chris 996 911, where did you get that kit?? I like the original look of the early 996s and don't want to change, but these lights look more effective or updated
Old 11-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,234 Likes on 754 Posts

14 years ago I HATED the look of the head lights on the 996.......

I still don't like them.

The new look is retro and substantially better.

All I could do at the time was this...... so I did.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:08 PM
lvc2
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roadsession
There are only two options that work to reshape the 996 eyes:

1. the mod of opening and painting the insides of the capsule
2. putting on matching tints and cutting out an oval opening for the lights

Plastic covers over these lights look like - well, plastic covers - they stick out way too much and are one of the fugliest mods you can make to a 996... just my opinion...
I used the tint method. I think the forum is a place to show what has been done by others who may want to try it. Some will like it and some will not.

Last edited by lvc2; 04-12-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:34 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lvc2
I used the tint method. I think the forum is a place to show what has been done by others who may want to try it. Some will like it and some will not.
Yours is the best I've seen, but other color options are not available...YET. Someone figures out how to match the popular paint colors in vinyl, and a lot of MK1 owners are off to the races. I often wonder if anyone has masked and painted the lexan lens itself to match the body color.

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Old 11-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Nine8Six
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by morganabowen
Hey Chris 996 911, where did you get that kit?? I like the original look of the early 996s and don't want to change, but these lights look more effective or updated
Larry

I make those myself. You can see the 3D models, assemblies and "prototype" development at http://986forum.com/forums/diy-proje...-finish-3.html

RE effective; the NEW generation of projector & clear lens I am fitting those with rivals the litronic using factory style (pure white) 4300k xenon bulbs @ 35watts. We've compared them here a week ago.

They do look updated indeed. A bit of a CGT front-end copy but regardless, they do look stunning! Shoot me a PM is your are interested in a kit for your 996 (fully customizable i.e. color, scripts, bulb temp).

And please let Chris 996 911 know I'm all ready for his kit anytime

Old 11-12-2013, 12:00 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I contemplated this mod, well actually I agonized over this mod, at the end I didn't because the oval headlights appeared a bit on the small side once the rest of the headlight is covered up, it's just not the right proportion so it looks "wrong".
Old 11-12-2013, 12:32 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Nin86 your red sled is a work of art
Old 11-12-2013, 12:32 AM
lvc2
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lvc2
Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
Yours is the best I've seen, but other color options are not available...YET. Someone figures out how to match the popular paint colors in vinyl, and a lot of MK1 owners are off to the races. I often wonder if anyone has masked and painted the lexan lens itself to match the body color.

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Thanks. I had the place that tinted my windows do it. I then sprayed night shade translucent paint over the tint to make it look more like it was painted.

Quick Reply: 996 headlight covers opinions please