996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Lucky Day, water pump failed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 12:40 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes. please post pics of the pump after you remove it.

Oh, and Hurdi, please dont mention "pissers" and "you must be thick" in the same post. Wrong forum, bro.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:58 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
No noise is a good noise being emitted from an engine..

If those impellers were being expelled during that 60 miles they will now be deep within the heads, forced there from cooling system volume and pressure.
If the impellers broke off where would the "volume and pressure" come from?:

Jake please chill I know it would probably be smaller pieces of the impellers breaking off as it hits the 'used to be smooth' non-replaceable inner wall, engine side, of the water pump cavity.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:49 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I had a bit of impeller wear, but fortunately the tiny bits came out with the water pump. I think I damaged the impellers just taking the thing out.

At least it wasn't a timing belt car like a 944...you'd be out a whole motor.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

So it appears that people agree that it's OK for Andy to drive a 911 Porsche 60 bloody miles on an engine that's making all kinds of weird noises. Business to attend to or not. It took me something like 49 years to be able to afford my very first 911. I might have drove to the business had I had any other car but a 911. That is a ludicrous decision. Pissers and thick in the same sentence wasn't called for. Maybe Plonkers and Dense might have been two better words, haha. Sorry Andy but Hurdi would not be Hurdi had he agreed with your decision. Oh and something else. If I had known you, I would have not have been so gentle on you, so don't take it personally hahaha. The people who didn't reprimand you are the chickens of the board. They are the ones that ask you to post your photos so they can laugh at them and say to their wives. "Look what this guy just did". hahaha "I am glad I didn't do what he did".. But they keep quiet because they are all *** kissers. lol.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Which model has the nicest rear end?

5CHN3LL You will have those engine mounts done in a couple of hours tops. I just started a good thread for the weekend . Which model has the nicest rear end?

Last edited by Hurdigurdiman; 11-08-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:49 PM
andys-944
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm finding this thread Kinda funny.
I have to agree running any machine when you aware of a potential problem is not good for it.
As too smart or stupid every decision in business is (or should be) cost benefit.
My business is consulting / design engineering, to variety of business including automotive. Over the years I've worked with Porsche on 3 separate car programs, from 944 and 2 different 962 projects. Believe me I understand engines and I know the risk.
If I'd gone and switched to the Jeep I'd have been late and I don't do late.

Thanks Ray I think you get it unfortunately I won't be posting picks as I don't have the time this weekend to do it myself and our tech is busy doing what he's paid for early next week so I had the local Dealer ship, come and tow it. And before somebody wines about that, if I work instead of doing it myself I'll save money.
I enjoy working on my own car when I have time but it doesn't always make sense. I like owning the 996 its a great and reliable car and I like driving it so hopefully it doesn't need a complete rebuild because of pesky little bits of plastic but if it does I'll have it towed back and we will rebuild the motor here.
I'll let you know if I dodged a bullet or have been impaled on my own sword

I don't spend much time on this forum but I like it, and most of you seem to be decent chaps and especially the 944 guys have been very helpful
I'll let you know if I dodged a bullet or have been impaled on my own sword
Old 11-08-2013, 06:34 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by andys-944
Over the years I've worked with Porsche on 3 separate car programs, from 944 and 2 different 962 projects.
Well that explains a couple things. lol. j/k. TGIF.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Soaringman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why wait till oil change ? It's not related. Do now and you will be good for another 60k with luck
its just that im a ferry ride away from my indy and was going to get him to do both at the same time.
i may consider doing it myself, ive seen the how to vid and read some diy's doesn't look to hard
Old 11-08-2013, 09:57 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Over the years I've worked with Porsche on 3 separate car programs, from 944
Holy S#$%! Your responsible for that POS and you admit it? Just kidding, of course.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:27 AM
andys-944
Pro

Karl, I love the 944 need to get another sometime. But I can't claim responsibility for any of it. I did some weight reduction studies on the front suspension.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:44 PM
andys-944
Pro

Default New water pump and engine mounts

I got her back from the Dealer today running like a dream
I've attached pics of the failed water pump bearing is shot, two blades show bits missing some recovered, dealer wasn't worried lol.
Bottom line its a 125k engine worth the risk of not rebuilding until there's a problem, time will tell !
Incidentally I had them fit my new engine mounts while they had the brace off only an extra $115, makes a hell of a difference
Only down side I got pulled over for speeding after leaving the dealer on the highway but the very nice Sheriff gave me a warning
Attached Images   
Old 11-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Soaringman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

question, why are parts of the blades missing, was the bearing so bad that the pump was so loose that the blades were hitting something ?

thanks
Old 11-13-2013, 11:29 AM
andys-944
Pro

yeah the bearing collapsed hence the leak may be 1/8" radial play so yes I assume they hit the block, since I didn't do the work I can't say if the block was marked.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

This is an instance where its a very good thing NOT to have a metal impeller outfitted pump!

The plastic impeller blades may distribute throughout the cooling system, but at least the impeller doesn't chew into the crankcase like metal does.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:47 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
This is an instance where its a very good thing NOT to have a metal impeller outfitted pump!

The plastic impeller blades may distribute throughout the cooling system, but at least the impeller doesn't chew into the crankcase like metal does.
I'm a bit surprised at this response since Flat6(Jake, or the "new" guy. ?) left out the part where plastic bits could end up blocking coolant passages and potentially creating hot spots. Is there not enough of the plastic impeller to have any adverse affects in this case?

Quick Reply: Lucky Day, water pump failed!