Sponsored by:

To do list up to date

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 03:50 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default To do list up to date

Thanks to information and inspiration shared on this forum I am now up to date on my DIY list for the C2.

Oil change - first time as DIY in 6 years. No sediment in oil filter housing. No glitter in the filter at all. A few dark plastic bits about the size of the head of pin and I am not concerned with that. I don't want to tally how much money I wasted on dealer oil changes over the past 6 years, suffice it to say that this is now a permanent DIY for me.

New air filter - had one on the shelf and decided to check it, even though 5k miles ago the dealer said no need to change it until the 90K mile service, 81K miles on the clock now and it needed a filter for sure.

Motor mounts - done - almost too easy.

Shifting is absolutely fine now - dealer said I needed a new shifter, I have an OEM SSK and I am glad I didn't jump at their "offer" to replace the shifter.

Much better clutch action. Noticeable improvement in throttle response.

It was such a joy to drive that I had a difficult time coming back in.

Thanks again to all who post their knowledge and encouragement. I tend to be a tad too anxious when considering DIY on the Porsches, always afraid something will go south and cause bigger problems. But so far, just doing some reading in advance and working at a relaxed pace and things go well.

Also helps to be out of work as having less dollars seems to have resulted in having more sense.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:13 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Silo, what was the motivation to replace the motor mounts? Shifting difficult?
Old 10-13-2013, 05:43 PM
silotwo
Banned

Kc, I had issues with clutch action and shifting that was inconsistent. At times everything worked smooth and as it should, other times the clutch feel would vary from normal to somewhat stiff but after running at rpm's over 4,000 it would feel fine again. Shifter would feel sloppy and I'd have to "hunt" for gears, especially noticeable on downshifts. It was the inconsistency along with how things would normalize after running at higher rpm's that lead me to suspect it was either motor mounts or the trans mount. I went after the easier option first.

Clutch feel is now good and consistent, shifts are smoother and more precise.
The surprise here is how much better it seems to run, I thought it ran fine before but the improvement was immediately noticeable.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:57 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Interesting. PO of my car replaced the engine about 2,000 miles before I bought it with a used engine. He replaced a bunch of seals and the IMSB and basically the clutch too. But I wonder if he used the old motor mounts. I think my exhaust tips hang lower than they should, and I have some of the same symptoms you had. I've got a lift, so if it's really easy and inexpensive to swap them out, I may do it to see the difference.
I haven't looked to see if my clutch pedal assist spring has been removed, but from reading the threads on that mod, I think it's lost favor a bit. My clutch & shifting aren't bad, but could be better. I have a short shift kit in it. But despite that and a new clutch, my son's 951 still shifts a lot better than my 996.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:13 PM
silotwo
Banned

It was so easy I would have felt bad if I paid so much as $1.00 to the dealer. I did it on the floor so if you have a lift you are way ahead of the game. My left exhaust tip was just tad lower than the right one. I bought the mounts from Pelican, it was less than $200.00 for both.

I was surprised when the dealer put a new motor in my C4S but did not replace the mounts even when I suggested it. Their take is that if they are not leaking then they are good. The C4S also has an OEM SSK but it shifts very smooth and the clutch feel is great.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:04 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Good going John! Enjoy your C2
Mark/Pelican Parts
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-14-2013, 05:51 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Most of the normal DIY stuff on these cars is really pretty easy. Even when you get to the stuff like headlight switches and shifters.

Don't get me started on anything to do with the door switches. I hate them... all of them..
Old 10-15-2013, 09:54 AM
silotwo
Banned

Originally Posted by soverystout
Most of the normal DIY stuff on these cars is really pretty easy. Even when you get to the stuff like headlight switches and shifters.

Don't get me started on anything to do with the door switches. I hate them... all of them..
LOL - so I was thinking if I could handle replacing a water pump on the C2 as a preventive measure and if I could really pull off a brake fluid flush and bleed. Working my way up the level of difficulty scale I guess.

Today I must finally tackle a water pump replacement on my old pick up truck, I am already imagining busted bolts and knuckles along the way.

Quick Reply: To do list up to date