Sponsored by:

Help me put together a list

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Cromartie
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me put together a list

Of reasons why a 996/997 would be a practical daily driver. We have a one year old son. I would be getting rid of my 335 and she has a 2009 a4 avant.

996 would be a 4s, 997 would be a c2.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 934 Posts

My 996 C4S is a daily driver. Here's my list:

- Reliable
- Good gas mileage
- Safe
- Fun to drive
- Has a back seat for those times when you need it
- Relatively inexpensive to operate (compared to other sports cars)

Of course there are two sides to every coin. The "bad" list is:

- Impractical for more than two adults
- Consumables like brakes and tires are expensive
- It's okay but not great in the snow (over 4" of snow is problematic)

Overall my experience with a C4S as a daily driver has been great. I have no complaints.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:21 AM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very practical daily driver, not practical for kids by any stretch of the imagination. You'll tear up the interior getting a car seat in and out, as the back has essentially zero space. Plus real leather and kids don't mix.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Cromartie
5th Gear

But a car seat will fit!
Old 10-08-2013, 01:36 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Kids will always make a mess, it will always be awkward putting them in a 2 door, and your passenger will be tight on room with a rear facing seat behind them.... That being said, you have 2 cars to choose from, once they are forward facing you'll gain the passenger space back , as for the mess that's what kids do! I would recommend looking for the hard back seats assuming they will fair better to all the kicking from the back seat.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Mhenry
Advanced

I have a 1yo and about to have another in Jan. the kid doesn't ride with me 90% of the time so it's much of a hassle. We also have an older SUV for 3rd vehicle which helps.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:30 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

My wife used her 996 as a DD for a long time, but now it only gets drive about every other week to keep it happy-ish

As far as a DD, how good it is depends on you and some of the choices. Personally a 6mt is the only option for these cars and I find rowing gears in traffic tedious on a regular basis. The sport seats and/or sport suspension can also get a bit tedious after awhile if your commute includes less than ideal road maintenance.

As far as the kid goes, will he ride with you regularly? If he's riding with you regularly, will your wife be joining you? I installed the bar and had it recoded so we can put the car seat for our son (20 months) in the front as it's rare we are both in the 911 together. Our seat won't fit in the back seat and (as others have noted) until you move to a booster seat it will require the front seat to be pushed forward to the point of being uncomfortable for average sized adults. Our boy loves the 911 though and really loves being in front so he can see what is going on. On the rare occasions where we've all gone out in it I cram into the back (no way she will ride in the back of her car ). In my younger and more flexible days I've done a 120 mile round trip back there, but these days 20 or so is probably my breaking point.

Personally my son was my excuse to finally get my Cayenne...
Old 10-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Go for it. She has the A4 for most kid stuff, and you spend too much time driving to not enjoy it a little.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:00 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had good experience with the 996 as a daily driver, in all weather conditions, over the past 6+ years. Note that when I first purchased the C2 I truly intended it to be a "good weather pleasure car" and as such I turned down a fantastic trade-in offer on the car I intended to by my daily driver. The car I didn't trade has accumulated 30k miles in the time I have put on approximately 80k combined miles on the 996 cars.

I find these cars to be quite reliable.
I think they are very safe especially since they are quick to accelerate, quick to brake, and highly maneuverable even at speed.
The driving experience is exceptional and if you have a decent daily commute I think you'll appreciate that.
I often feel as if the cars have a dual personality in that they are comfortable enough for an interstate commute or long distance road trip yet plenty sporty and exhilarating depending on my driving style.
The jump seats are good enough for smaller children - I have no experience with infants as we had mini-vans back in those days. These days the kids are a tad too large to tolerate the jump seats for more than a quick ride with a friend.
C2 trunk space is adequate - I can easily load a weeks worth of groceries.
C4S trunk space pretty limited - A laptop case and a camera bag pretty much max the space out.

I'll also mention that although cost of entry can be a bargain, cost of ownership is still on par with the original sticker price. The parts and labor didn't depreciate.

Best of luck.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 934 Posts

I find the frunk to adequate in my C4S. I travel frequently, and I always carry a TSA approved carry-on sized bag. The current TSA regulation allows for a carry-on of 45 "linear inches". My bag is a Hartmann bag that measures 22x14x9. It fits in the frunk like it was custom made to go there.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:13 PM
EdTexas
Rennlist Member

I've had '99 C2 as a commuter car for 6 months now. I live in Texas and commute from an outlying area in to the metroplex. Stop and go traffic at times, brutal heat at times...

It is a practical commuter car because my annual commute is equal to 21 days. If I have to commute I choose to do so in a car that I enjoy driving. I very much regret succumbing to practical thinking and driving a damn SUV for 15 years. You will never get that time on the road back, you may as well enjoy yourself, and likely you'll be more productive in your career because you'll be anxious to get on the road every morning.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:04 PM
mrtoro
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I changed from a 986 to 996 c4s when my twin daughters needed transportation. Or at least that was my excuse to my wife. 996 is a great dd. Two booster fit in the back greatly. Have the airbag disable kit for the front seat where my son sits. So three kids in boosters fit just fine and make for a very memorable drive. Not bad at all.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:05 PM
detroit11
Advanced

I believe a lot of the positives/negatives have been covered. I drive my car year around and in some pretty nasty weather. Agree with previous post that fresh snow over 3-4 inches can be tough. My kids are now 5/9 and love the car. They ask every time we get to the garage if we're taking the "real car"...kills my wife. I had a 993 when they were younger and the car seat is a hassle, but they grow up fast! Also, there's a great you tube video of a dad driving his son to school. I have it saved at work, but you can probably google it....safety issues aside...I know I feel the way that kid does when I get behind the wheel.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:37 PM
rustymon
Banned

I've enjoyed having 1 kid in the rear with a car seat... I think 1 kid is easy, as you can make room behind the passenger seat. That said, I will soon be bringing a second pre-school and not sure how well that will work out... probably lots of kicking the back of the seat, but I'll be worth just being in the car... besides, I get to drop them off and cruise solo after!

Also, as far as being a DD, trips to Costco get interesting in the 996... you might be amazed how many ways you'll find to cram stuff in!
Old 10-08-2013, 11:42 PM
silotwo
Banned

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I find the frunk to adequate in my C4S. I travel frequently, and I always carry a TSA approved carry-on sized bag. The current TSA regulation allows for a carry-on of 45 "linear inches". My bag is a Hartmann bag that measures 22x14x9. It fits in the frunk like it was custom made to go there.
You got me there. I never used the 996 for my airport car; my trips were fairly extended and the TSA would never allow the 28" Pullman as a carry on.

Quick Reply: Help me put together a list