Sponsored by:

Need help with wheel info

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 01:46 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Need help with wheel info

She ordered it with the high gloss finish turbo look wheels and they are looking pretty crappy now as the finish has flaked away around all the lugs and is now coming off in large chunks elsewhere. So now we are looking for something new, but I don't know much about buying wheels.

What I do know is that there are arguments against the knock off rims especially if you are going to get out on a track (not something we do often, but don't want to rule it out).

I know, of course, BBS is at the top of the list for excellent quality high performance wheels, but what I don't know is how all the other various vendors stack up.

I don't particularly want to pony up the cash for BBS or factory wheels, but I'm also not going to cheap out and slap a $500 knockoff set on either. I'm looking for something that will come in around the same weight as our originals, is well balanced, and will standup to both semi-daily driving (e.g. potholes) as well as the occasional AutoX or DE.

So how do the other wheel makers stack up and which ones can be considered as good safe options?

Thanks
Old 10-06-2013, 02:10 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

You can get good sets of BBS wheels in the $500-$1000 range. Check out local craigslist and the classifieds here on RL. I went from twisted turbo to sports design to sports classic II on mine. All BBS and all <$1000.
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Soaringman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can't you clean up your wheels and re paint?
maybe you don't like the style

That's what i would do
Old 10-06-2013, 02:44 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Soaringman
can't you clean up your wheels and re paint?
maybe you don't like the style

That's what i would do
We'll probably hang onto them in the event she ever gets serious about AutoX.

I did mention painting them to her, but there are some bad rash spots in the edges and she isn't interested in them not being the glossy look. Secretly I think she is ready for a change and doesn't want to admit it (she rolls her eyes when I start talking about changes to my 958).
Old 10-06-2013, 03:35 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Wheels America can generally refurb a wheel to like new condition for around $85/wheel which includes mounting and balancing. Pricing and quality of work might vary between locations but something you can definitely check on as an alternative.

Otherwise as I usually recommend for the lightest and relatively affordable non-forged wheels: Enkei NT03, Victor Innsbruck. There are other cast wheels out there but these are the lightest cast for our cars. I for one refuse to lose to an Accord v6 or Hyundai Genesis by going with heavy wheels.
The following users liked this post:
Ratchet1025 (06-16-2021)

Quick Reply: Need help with wheel info