Sponsored by:

Looking for help to determine replacement Techart/Bilstein shock

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 02:11 PM
kgoertz
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking for help to determine replacement Techart/Bilstein shock

I recently started to notice that the back-end of my 02 996 was a little unstable over bumps at highway speeds. While I like to do my own minor repairs (brakes, alternator etc) I don't have much experience with suspension parts.

I had my mechanic take a look and he confirmed that my passenger-rear shock was leaking and needed replacement. The challenge is that the previous owner had upgraded the suspension with a Techart kit so it is no longer stock.

The suspension consists of a shock that is stamped with both Techart and Bilstein and the part number 2701BE582087MO however I can't find any reference to that number anywhere. I have emailed Techart and contacted PFAFF in Toronto but I haven't heard a response yet.

So my main question is how to determine which Bilstein shock to replace it with? These are adjustable and are currently fitted with Eibach 46/00 springs. Would any Bilstein shock work that is designed for the 996? I use this as a daily driver but I also track it 3-4 times per year (and hopefully more in the coming years). I'd be looking for something that is reasonably firm but still drivable on the street.

Thanks for any help. I'm including a picture in case it helps.
Attached Images  

Last edited by kgoertz; 09-11-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Remove double image
Old 09-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Lerxst
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd ship both rear shocks off to Bilstein for a rebuild. http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/s...rvice/service/

The only downside is the down time on your daily driver.

Replacing one shock will throw the balance off as it will likely have a dampening from the other corners.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:42 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

This is one Bilstein should be able to rebuild.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/s...rvice/service/

Edit: too late with the post button. lol. Beat me to it
Old 09-11-2013, 10:48 PM
kgoertz
Pro

Nice. I wasn't aware they could be rebuilt. Thanks Lerxst and Alpine. I have since asked a friend of mine who owns a local speed shop and his feedback on Bilstein rebuilds was positive. But it sounds like a winter job since it can take more than 6 weeks to get them back.

I'm still investigating replacing them, but the rebuild idea is a good one. I guess I'll have to learn how to remove them in my garage :-)
Old 09-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Lerxst
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you've got basic mechanic skills and tools, it's a pretty straight forward IMHO. Renntech has a DIY write-up on suspension (M030 IIRC) replacement that will walk you through the process. I just did this myself to repair a rear strut failure.

My tip is when you're reinstalling the assemble strut, have a friend use a long bar to lever down the control arm to line up the bolt hole with the strut.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

I've got a set of rear Bilstein HD shocks with ~3,000 miles on them. Let me know if you're interested as a replacement or as a holdover until you get those rebuilt.

Shawn
Old 09-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

Oh, I just noticed this has a threaded shock body. You definitely can't just drop in any replacement. You'll need to rebuild or find out what that part is. If you replace them you'll need to put an alternate spring/perch setup.

I've got the stock springs to go with the rear shocks I mentioned previously, so you could at least throw these in while you're waiting on the rebuild.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:54 AM
kgoertz
Pro

Thanks Ubermensch & Lerxst. I finally got a reply from Techart asking for my VIN number and a photo of the coilovers. Hopefully they can find the part. But I'm most likely going to go with the rebuild option this winter and DIY in my garage. I have a neighbour that runs a tuner shop that can probably help :-)

Thanks for the offer on the rear shocks. I should know more from Techart/Bilstein next week but I'll think about a temporary replacement.

I had a track day booked through the London Porsche dealership on Thursday and I decided to go anyway. Surprisingly (for me) it didn't have that much of an impact. There was only one serious bump on the track that I had to be careful on, but otherwise I had an absolute blast.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:55 PM
kgoertz
Pro

Just an update in case anyone is looking. Techart responded that new shocks are almost $1K each so replacing both isn't too far away from just replacing with a new PSS10 kit. Given that my front shocks have just as many miles on them they are likely due for a replacement as well.

So it looks like me options are either to send all 4 shocks out to Bilstein for a rebuild or buy a new PSS10 or Techart kit. I'm hoping to confirm that Bilstein will rebuild the Techart shocks, but it would also mean a DIY since my local shops won't be able to have my car in their shop for the 6+ weeks for a rebuild.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:53 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Pulling the shocks out isn't that bad but most people don't have spring compressors or lifts, which make the job way easier. If you like the current setup, rebuild the bilsteins and stick with them. If you do get PSS10s, be sure to rebuild the bilsteins anyways as you could probably sell them afterwards for a good price.

Quick Reply: Looking for help to determine replacement Techart/Bilstein shock