Sponsored by:

Hit and Run at Work

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 11:55 PM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hit and Run at Work

So I like to park at the end of the parking lot away from everyone because I don't like door dings, and what do I get for being cautious? Someone bumps into my left rear bumper, cracking the tail light and scratching the paint. Not sure how it's even possible since the car was out there all by itself, bastard didn't even leave a note. I'm sure it happened at work because I found a piece of the tail light on the ground.

I work for a large corporation and they have video of all of the parking lots, but they tell me they have better things to do with their time rather than review hours of tape to find out who did it. Planning to keep pushing them, though.

I figure its not worth reporting to the insurance agency, should be able to find a used tail light for $100-$200, and I can live with the paint damage for now. Anyone have any idea how much it would be to repaint a bumper or have a shop recommendation in Los Angeles?

Thanks,
Chris
Attached Images   
Old 09-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Light: http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-Porsche-9...55fbf5&vxp=mtr

Paint on the bumper should be around $200-300.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:52 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 81 Posts

Wow, after reading the thread title I was hoping to hear that you got "lucky" at work on your lunch hour. Unfortunately, I was wrong...good luck with the fix.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hopefully bad karma will meet with the person who did this and didn't have the guts to leave you his/her info. GL with the fix, could have been much worse.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:30 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If you would have reported it to the Police as a Fail to Stop and Give Information the company would not have had a choice. The amount of damage determines level of offense. In Texas anyway, not sure about Cali.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:41 AM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you report it to the insurance company, they have the power to subpoena the surveillance video from the company
Old 09-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's retarded and i'm sorry to hear that!

Your corporation you work for must have a Corporate Security section, and if in fact they have that area covered on CCTV, I would highly push the issue and speak to a manager and above about the incident. Even offer to review the footage yourself as you can put it on fast forward and the review can all be done in 30 minutes or less....
Old 09-03-2013, 09:51 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I understand parking out in the boonies like that to avoid door dings, etc., but parking like that can also have the opposite effect and draw unwanted attention to your car. There are plenty of A holes who will go out of their way to make your life miserable. Sometimes parking amongst the herd is just as safe...

What are you gonna do? Seems like a lose-lose no matter what you try.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 461 Likes on 300 Posts

Sucks big time. But, based on the photos, I'd just replace the light and buff the paint myself. Save a bumper respray for when someone nails it again (bound to happen in LA).

As others have said, I'd push the security camera video review if I were you. That being said, I used to work for a huge company up in Los Angeles. I'm sure I would have gotten the exact same non-responsive response from them.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:25 PM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, just planning to replace the light for now, leave the bumper for another time. Also need to get my front bumper resprayed due to an insane amount of rock chips from the Streets of Willow, probably do it all at the same time eventually. For now I'm just going to have fun with it, after all I've only had it for 4 months...
Old 09-04-2013, 08:00 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I never park the car out by itself, like that. I've had more than one incident, not with this Porsche, but others. I learned the hard way with other nice cars, what IMHO works best out here. I try to park so there is only one car next to me, and NEVER near a minivan or SUV (kids are the worst), but try for smaller 4 door cars (4 door doors are shorter so much hard to get dinged) or equally nice cars. I also try for "against the curb" rows, so eliminates the bumper bump in front or behind. No guarantees, but so far only one ding in 5 years.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:43 AM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CJWessing
Yeah, just planning to replace the light for now, leave the bumper for another time. Also need to get my front bumper resprayed due to an insane amount of rock chips from the Streets of Willow, probably do it all at the same time eventually. For now I'm just going to have fun with it, after all I've only had it for 4 months...
Yup - have fun with it. Lately I have stopped stressing over the minor imperfections, especially when I can't see it while driving and performance is not at all affected. Cars that are driven will get rock chips etc., other people will do dumb stuff; life will go on.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

The bumper cover should be replaced. Factory new and painted of course by a Porsche Approved Collision Center.

You can try for a used tail light. I would replace it with a new one. Expensive but this helps put the car back to its pre-collision condition.

I hate hit and run drivers. I would really push to id the vehicle and the driver responsible and bring the wrath of God down on his damnable head.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Throttle
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Five days after I got my 996 I got tagged from behind while stopped at a light. My mechanic (EuroSpec Motoring) recommended Ultimate Coachworks in Culver City. Gary normally does Ferrari's and other exotics but was a pleasure to deal with, especially after we level set that mine is a DD and not a garage queen. His work was impeccable. I highly recommend him. BTW, I also had him paint my center console to match the body color. It turned out great!
Old 09-04-2013, 04:58 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

That light on eBay looks scratched and nicked - I have a clean one if interested. PM me for details.

Quick Reply: Hit and Run at Work