Sponsored by:

IMS bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 06:48 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DCQT
The hybrid bearing is damaged, it will come out for further analysis. There is some radial play and the races feels very rough.
Was this an LN Engineering bearing?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:18 PM
DCQT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was this an LN Engineering bearing?
Yes.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:33 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I disagree. If the clutch wasn't slipping then keep the set together until it's time to change it. I've seen and had flywheels that lookedlike this and yet worked perfectly fine.
Imre, my thinking is that you have the trans out anyway. The car is older, why not replace it while your that far into it?

To the OP, was this CH bearing installed in a marginal or healthy engine at the time? Cant expect even a CH bearing to survive if the engine was already contaminated by a IMSB failure. I know you said the original was OK and the LNE CH only has 60K miles on it but I think even LNE calls it a service item now. The LNE is just a CH version of the original, nothing special. If you put 60K miles on the LNE bearing, youve already exceeded their recommended replacement mileage.

I would think anyone with a M96 better just be prepared to at least inspect and/or R&R the IMSB every 30K to 50K miles unless there is something obvious indicated sooner. If you cant handle that, youve bought the wrong car. I suppose an owner could just drive in ignorant bliss and risk failure if they can afford a $20K engine for a $15K to $25K car.

Last edited by KrazyK; 08-29-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:37 PM
DCQT
Intermediate

To the OP, was this CH bearing installed in a marginal or healthy engine at the time? Cant expect even a CH bearing to survive if the engine was already contaminated by a IMSB failure. I know you said the original was OK and the LNE CH only has 60K miles on it but I think even LNE calls it a service item now. The LNE is just a CH version of the original, nothing special. If you put 60K miles on the LNE bearing, youve already exceeded their recommended replacement mileage.
It was replaced proactively (the engine was healthy) when the clutch assembly required service (throw-out bearing was damaged/worn). The original bearing which accumulated 60k miles on it was like new when removed, no significant axial or radial play (it was and still is very tight). The LNE ceramic hybrid bearing has accumulated 35k miles or so.

If you cant handle that, youve bought the wrong car. I suppose an owner could just drive in ignorant bliss and risk failure if they can afford a $20K engine for a $15K to $25K car.
I have owned this car for over 12 years.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:56 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DCQT
It was replaced proactively (the engine was healthy) when the clutch assembly required service (throw-out bearing was damaged/worn). The original bearing which accumulated 60k miles on it was like new when removed, no significant axial or radial play (it was and still is very tight). The LNE ceramic hybrid bearing has accumulated 35k miles or so.

I have owned this car for over 12 years.
There you go KK...
Old 08-29-2013, 02:13 PM
LordVicious
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
I would think anyone with a M96 better just be prepared to at least inspect and/or R&R the IMSB every 30K to 50K miles unless there is something obvious indicated sooner. If you cant handle that, youve bought the wrong car. I suppose an owner could just drive in ignorant bliss and risk failure if they can afford a $20K engine for a $15K to $25K car.
Given the number of 200k plus mile Boxsters out there on original bearings the above statements are ... inoperative to say the least

Now that it's becoming more and more obvious that the insertion of hybrid bearings (or other "solutions") is blowing cars up right and left there is little remaining doubt about the efficacy of these "fixes." Banging on the intermediate shaft is NEVER a good idea. The journal tolerances are measured to the thousandths of an inch at the factory. It's all but guaranteed that insertion of a replacement bearing will take the shaft out of factory spec. From there it's a crap shoot how long it goes. I would never even consider purchasing a car with an after-market bearing in it. Every single one of them is a time bomb.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:59 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lot of assumption and BS in this thread. Moving on.....
Old 08-29-2013, 04:36 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Lot of assumption and BS in this thread. Moving on.....
So, its kind of like an oil thread?
Old 08-29-2013, 08:45 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Imre, my thinking is that you have the trans out anyway. The car is older, why not replace it while your that far into it?

You seem to know quite a bit about this subject. What is the actual MTBF of the factory IMS bearing? Same question for the aftermarket kit bearings. Can you share the study / report / findings?
Old 08-30-2013, 01:47 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

You have a SR bearing so I assume thats the one you want to know about? I dont know squat about the DR but I know all the specs on the OEM SR if thats what your asking. Ditto on the LNE SR too. I researched the $%^& out of the SR bearing before I decided what to use.

The OEM Porsche single row bearing is an off the shelf crappy $12 bearing. I can prove it if you care to believe the facts. It has seals that were meant to keep out dust and dirt not hot motor oil. Why do I feel like this is a repeat?
Old 09-02-2013, 09:05 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Again met with deafening silence. Sometimes the truth is painful to accept.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:27 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Again met with deafening silence. Sometimes the truth is painful to accept.
Because you didn't answer my question.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:04 PM
DCQT
Intermediate

Finally had some time to inspect the flange and dissect the bearing. There is considerable spalling on the inner ring outer raceway (just half of the raceway), about 120-135 degrees. There is also some wear on the outer ring outer raceway. There is no wear at all on the inner raceway.
Attached Images      
Old 09-11-2013, 09:14 PM
DCQT
Intermediate

The IMS flange shows evidence of the inner ring rotating on it (bearing seized up temporarily).
Attached Images   
Old 09-11-2013, 09:19 PM
DCQT
Intermediate

Both sets of inner and outer ceramic ***** show no sign of damages.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: IMS bearing?