996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

California Smog

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Theconductor, here is my contact information.... mtfletcher@sbcglobal.net if you would like to drive my car and see how you like the different mods, I would be happy to meet you so you can take it for a spin. I have a friend who owns a local shop (Foreign Autohaus). He loves to mod our cars, if you are unable to do the mods yourself. He is a dealer for Vortech and for Raby's products. Thanks for the invite to your bar.....I may take you up on it in the future.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:52 PM
JCreasy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This irritates me. As of yet, I've no modifications and I am going through the same crap (albeit at a lesser level) here in Atlanta.

I swear, I should form a holding company somewhere where there are no smog/emissions requirements and solicit shareholders as "... permissive users" in some sort of co-op. You buy into an umbrella liability policy for the fleet and drive away. Title is held by the holding company... In WEST TEXAS or some other lawless part of the Country.

I mean, I get it if the car is running dirty and you need to repair it, but mine runs pretty darn clean and I see idiots riding along in (... insert your redneck car or truck here) with aplomb and nary a care in the World.

JKC
Old 08-21-2013, 08:52 PM
JCreasy
Instructor

Sorry. Color me tired and cranky pants tonight.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:25 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

Live in Florida, no smog/car test here so you can do whatever you want. Of course it also means you have to get very adept at avoiding 20 year old broken down cars with bald tires, rusty mufflers spewing oil smoke down the road for miles, family vans with low bald tires broken down or careening off the road on the interstate, yahoos in jacked up pickups that could literally drive over your car and blind you from behind, jealous diesel pickup owners that plant their exhaust next to your window and rev it up, teenagers in souped up little sedans that want to race you at every traffic light.....

I understand the desire to "modify", but my dear old reliable 99 C2 has all the power I need as a daily driver on public roadways. I also remember the 60's and 70's in San Diego and LA where the smog was so thick you could cut it with a knife....just my two cents. Apologies to all, but if JCreasy can be a cranky pants...well then....buy a race prepped car and take it to the track to satisfy the need for speed!
Old 08-22-2013, 12:58 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Another option is to register the vehicle in a less populated county that does not require smog.
Many Bay Area folks have vacation homes in Placer county (Tahoe) that does not require testing
Old 08-22-2013, 02:37 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=FlatSix911;10704064]Another option is to register the vehicle in a less populated county that does not require smog.
Many Bay Area folks have vacation homes in Placer county (Tahoe) that does not require testing [/QUOTE

This surprises me since I thought that smog requirements were set by the state and not by counties I would double check that info
Old 08-23-2013, 02:00 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by morganabowen
This surprises me since I thought that smog requirements were set by the state and not by counties I would double check that info
Here is the DMV information ... http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2539

http://smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARResour...rogram_Map.pdf
Attached Images   
Old 08-24-2013, 09:43 PM
theconductor
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Theconductor, here is my contact information.... mtfletcher@sbcglobal.net if you would like to drive my car and see how you like the different mods, I would be happy to meet you so you can take it for a spin. I have a friend who owns a local shop (Foreign Autohaus). He loves to mod our cars, if you are unable to do the mods yourself. He is a dealer for Vortech and for Raby's products. Thanks for the invite to your bar.....I may take you up on it in the future.
Thank you! I would love a ride in your car. Before the beer of course

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Another option is to register the vehicle in a less populated county that does not require smog.
Many Bay Area folks have vacation homes in Placer county (Tahoe) that does not require testing [/QUOTE

As I said, my father lives in Healdsburg and there are no smog requirements.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Niceguyeddie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Macster
It could complicate insuring the vehicle and it could arise if the car was insured under fraudulent circumstances the insurance may not cover the vehicle.

Also in CA anyhow the neighbors might turn one in. Seems they get a bit testy when they have to pay the CA registration while a neighbor registers his car in OR or NV but of course actually lives in CA.
Particularly if you have to park your car on the street, like I do. I see luxury cars all over town with solid black window tint...no front plate...but obviously they are wealthy enough to garage their cars away from nosy eyes. The other day I came out to see damned ticket on my window for no front plate. That stuff really irks me.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Niceguyeddie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JCreasy
This irritates me. As of yet, I've no modifications and I am going through the same crap (albeit at a lesser level) here in Atlanta.

I swear, I should form a holding company somewhere where there are no smog/emissions requirements and solicit shareholders as "... permissive users" in some sort of co-op. You buy into an umbrella liability policy for the fleet and drive away. Title is held by the holding company... In WEST TEXAS or some other lawless part of the Country.

I mean, I get it if the car is running dirty and you need to repair it, but mine runs pretty darn clean and I see idiots riding along in (... insert your redneck car or truck here) with aplomb and nary a care in the World.

JKC
I live in LA, and I understand that everybody can't drive porsches, but what irks me is how there are SO many cars/trucks that would obviously fail a smog test. They are all over the place, sitting there smoking while idling. These are definitely not vacation homeowners, they obviously came in from somewhere outside of Beverly Hills to work. Somewhere, these folks have found shops that will just rubber stamp the certification. Yet like the previous poster says...I had to pay $60 for the Gold star tech to inspect my non-smoking porsche with a fine tooth comb for aftermarket equipment.
By the way...when they give you the smog numbers...and it says...average value of PASSING vehicles....does that include the average for ALL vehicles tested...or JUST all Porsches? That got me very curious...because it shows I'm running higher than average on NOx...which would tend to lead me to believe that something is causing high temps, such as leaking vacuum lines...bad cat, bad egr, bad O2 sensor...maybe even worn rings, causing oil to burn. However, it doesn't burn oil more than any other car I've had, so I just don't know.
It's the same old struggle I am familiar with...and I really hate it...I have a car that is definitely NOT smoking, has NO performance issues. This really makes me look further into avoiding the regulations and registering it elsewhere. Anyhoo...I could go on and on, but I'll stop here.

Quick Reply: California Smog