996 - a step child?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
The 964 and 911SC above are both beautiful classics.

I think hes just ribbing us. Lets keep our sense of humor!
Ya think? I luv vag.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:35 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Nah. I like your 964. But after that rant, pretty sure I don't like you.

Am I to believe that you have just now realized Porsche made a 996? And you just now decided to go fishing for info on why it was made?

Really? You Texas guys don't get it.

Troll.
I've only been a Porsche guy since i was about 8. Today was not the first time I'd seen a 996, and was definitely not the first time I pondered its existence. I'm sure money was behind the reason it was created, and that's fine. Updates in technology/safety are great. All of my arguments against the car are strictly cosmetic. I can admit that water cooling was a necessary move, and have no problem with a certain amount of driver assistance.

Does it make anyone feel better if I say I don't really care for the design of the 993 either? The difference is, however, I will still have a look around a 993 any time I see one in person, which can be said for me and any other 911 as well, except for the 996. Just doesn't do it for me. It's good that you guys like your cars though. Don't let me detract from that. There's something for everyone, and I was simply stating my opinion on a thread asking if the 996 is a step child.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:36 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tastes change... while I hated the first generation Boxters, they are growing on me... especially as I see their resemblance to the RSK race cars.

The 996 is a great car, but the engine grenading keeps me out of them. I started with 993s and they are still my favorite. However, I hated the 964s. I have one now and I love it. I'm pretty sure an early boxter is in my future too.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:38 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Ya think? I luv vag.
Don't be dirty, that stands for VW Automotive Group!
Old 08-16-2013, 10:06 PM
b8_rdc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I know folks that have both 993 and 996, they never read forums. They swear by the 996 for smoother driving and better performance. They think I am crazy when I tell them the newer car is worth less.

This thread:
Name:  Anchorman_well_that_escalated_quickly_966.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  32.9 KB
Old 08-17-2013, 01:13 AM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

I'll also say that I have no problem with the way a 996 drives. It is enjoyable.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:51 AM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well. lets all keep in mind for a few years the only cars Porsche put out were the 996 or a Boxster. All other variants failed. Porsche was out of steam and was about to get put into a blender with some sort of merger, and likely disappear. Then the Cayenne added more profit, and bada bing, now they are back up to 6 if you include the 918. Ill agree inferior quality in interior and some other small annoyances exist as a result of this necessary evil, but to say the car is a piece of junk (relative to others) ain't true. But what do i know, I also like the 964, the other "supposed" bastard child of the air cooled world.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:14 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Family frailities

In re. Porsche's history of odd reliability issues (964s, 993s, and 996s; all of which I have owned), I am a daily visitor to BMW (have a '09 X3) and Mercedes(have a '09 E350) forums, too, and I find the same kinds of recurring issues and paranoia pertaining to particular model groups.

Could it be that the much vaulted German engineering is over rated? Or could it be that too many owners of these fine cars are easily frightened? No offence meant, but its probably a little bit of both.

relinuca
Old 08-17-2013, 09:43 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Is there a function that allows these stupid threads to be hidden?
Old 08-17-2013, 09:52 AM
oldsock
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's all be honest here. I've owned a few earlier p-cars and other sports cars over the years (Triumph, MG, Alfa, etc.), and they all have their own reliability issues, including the glorious air-cooled 911's. The truth is - if you want a bullet-proof, reliable, gas-and-go car, you don't buy this type of car - YOU BUY A TOYOTA!

To answer vagluv's question, "why did Porsche build the 996"? I think the simplest answer is to survive. If Porsche didn't build the 996, there wouldn't be a Porsche as we know it now. Besides, I think the 'fried egg' lights look cool. They look exactly like the headlights on the 1998 LeMan's winning Porsche 911 GT1, how cool is that?

Regarding the interior of the 996, I had an '87 930 back in the day and the interior in that thing was nothing to brag about and let's not even discuss the air-conditioning!
Old 08-17-2013, 10:03 AM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Is there a function that allows these stupid threads to be hidden?
Just post a picture of your gorgeous red headed Targa.

My wife has a tendency to criticize and express her "opinion" of what other people own. I constantly remind her that the odds are that people own what they like, and perhaps some people don't like what we own. And unless you own what you do because of what other people think (and some folks do live like that) then how exactly does it affect her life?
Old 08-17-2013, 10:04 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by silotwo

Just post a picture of your gorgeous red headed Targa.

My wife has a tendency to criticize and express her "opinion" of what other people own. I constantly remind her that the odds are that people own what they like, and perhaps some people don't like what we own. And unless you own what you do because of what other people think (and some folks do live like that) then how exactly does it affect her life?
Old 08-17-2013, 10:56 AM
spender
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, I'm going to say that there are waaay too many of these navel gazing "why does everyone hate us" threads in any 996 forum - but we need to get over it. The performance of the 996 and 997 models (within their respective classes) is virtually identical. Even Porsche's published specs (anyone remember that "silhouettes" layout in Christophorus a few years back) show that they are pretty much identical. However, the 996 is an AMAZING deal given its prices - they are still substantially less than 997 pricing, sometimes less than half. So, if you are worried about what a few people think (and most of the population has no clue what the difference is between a 996 and 997, or even a 991) - maybe you should just buy a BMW. If you want a great value on a true sportscar that you can drive the crap out of, get a 996.

Quick Reply: 996 - a step child?